Any know anything about Big Boy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
One of my earliest pipe purchase was a large meer lined black billard that I bought at a Tinderbox in Pittsburgh. It was told by the clerk that it was a Big Boy brand pipe. I don't recall any markings. I had it in the pocket of my jacket along with a kid leather pouch freshly filled with #10 Downing street and some jerk stole the jacket off the back seat of my car. I've never forgotten that pipe. It was inexpensive ($40-50) but a great smoker. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Big Boy brand that might help me in my search for as estate replacement.
Mike.

Made for Dr. Grabow by Alpha, perhaps?  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BOY-W-ESTATE-PIPE-MADE-IN-ITALY-2-Excellent-Condition-/251595912428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9448f4ec

bigboy10.jpg
" />

Thanks guys! The Alpha Grabow connection is promising. Cart, I don't think it was Big Ben as it had no markings. Of course I don't recall the Big Boy stamping either...
Mike.

MichaelM":rpx33azq said:
Thanks guys!  The Alpha Grabow connection is promising.  Cart, I don't think it was Big Ben as it had no markings.  Of course I don't recall the Big Boy stamping either...
Mike.
I think Richard is on to something.  ;) 

Cartaphilus":gdwu4v8k said:
I think Richard is on to something.  ;) 
Nah.  I just googled it and it pops up fleetingly on other pipe forums.  Dr. Grabow at one time wanted to go a bit upscale so they apparently had a "Big Boy" made for them by Alpha.  "Big Boy," I believe, is a grade designation, not the name of the pipe--like a Peterson "Shannon."
Alpha has its own history, though.  I always thought it was an Israeli pipe, but the two (Big Boys) currently on eBay are Italian.  Who knows?  It certainly ain't me.  

Speaking of obscure origins, anybody ever hear of an Afflick & Co. pipe?  It's made in England, it's decent wood, smokes as well as any, and drives me crazy because I can't find anything about its maker, nor have I ever seen another.  I suspect it was a small shop or store in England and escaped from the same black hole as the "Big Boy."

A lot of pipe manufactures have come and gone. There was a time as you know when they were much more plentiful then now and easily got lost in the crowd.
Also your pipe may have been made as a promotional item for a company named "Afflick & Co." by one of many manufacturers in England. I have a few pipes that were made for different companies such as DuPont Explosives, Ducks Unlimited and others just to mention a few, for promotional items and no makers mark was ever stamped. I would imagine this was done purposely, just like you'll never see the makers name on a Sears product only Sear's name, such as Kenmore, Craftsman, and Sears.

Cartaphilus":o75b5z2o said:
...your pipe may have been made as a promotional item for a company named "Afflick & Co." by one of many manufacturers in England. I have a few pipes that were made for different companies such as DuPont Explosives, Ducks Unlimited and others just to mention a few, for promotional items and no makers mark was ever stamped. I would imagine this was done purposely, just like you'll never see the makers name on a Sears product only Sear's name, such as Kenmore, Craftsman, and Sears.
Aha! I never thought of that angle.  Kind of like Zippo lighters.  Well, at least I know it's somewhat old, as I doubt there are companies nowadays giving out pipes as promotional items.  Hmmm, unless...

bobs-b10.jpg
" />

Richard Burley":mstjdlvx said:
Cartaphilus":mstjdlvx said:
...your pipe may have been made as a promotional item for a company named "Afflick & Co." by one of many manufacturers in England. I have a few pipes that were made for different companies such as DuPont Explosives, Ducks Unlimited and others just to mention a few, for promotional items and no makers mark was ever stamped. I would imagine this was done purposely, just like you'll never see the makers name on a Sears product only Sear's name, such as Kenmore, Craftsman, and Sears.
Aha! I never thought of that angle.  Kind of like Zippo lighters.  Well, at least I know it's somewhat old, as I doubt there are companies nowadays giving out pipes as promotional items.  Hmmm, unless...

bobs-b10.jpg
" />
Although I doubt that Big Boy Hamburgers ever had anyone make a promotional pipe for them I still can't help thinking of how grand there burgers were. There are still some in business but, most are long gone with the dodo. It's a shame that more couldn't embrace  them as I do, the one and only truly great burger as far as I'm concerned. Here in Texas they were Kip's Big Boy others were and are Bob's Big Boy, still have a menu from one.
Sorry for the off topic babble, back to pipes.  ;)

Glad you found out that bit of history Richard.  Very cool story.
That Big Boy fellow is just asking to hold a photoshop churchwarden in his left hand :D 
Mike.

Richard Burley":dvoxk6x4 said:
I apologize for this digression, also, but I just found out about my pipe.  Apparently it's pre-1950, as discussed in this link.  Really cool.  Now I can rest in peace.  And my favorite burger is Fuddrucker's.

http://diebelsg.com/stores/company-history/
That is great news, so your pipe was manufactured for Afflick & Co.the tobacconist prior to 1950.  ;) 

Nah. I just googled it and it pops up fleetingly on other pipe forums. Dr. Grabow at one time wanted to go a bit upscale so they apparently had a "Big Boy" made for them by Alpha. "Big Boy," I believe, is a grade designation, not the name of the pipe--like a Peterson "Shannon."
Alpha has its own history, though. I always thought it was an Israeli pipe, but the two (Big Boys) currently on eBay are Italian. Who knows? It certainly ain't me.

Speaking of obscure origins, anybody ever hear of an Afflick & Co. pipe? It's made in England, it's decent wood, smokes as well as any, and drives me crazy because I can't find anything about its maker, nor have I ever seen another. I suspect it was a small shop or store in England and escaped from the same black hole as the "Big Boy."
Hi Richard,
I stumbled upon this site because I was trying to find out about Afflick & Co myself.
I have an old cigar box from my grandfather. It's marked Afflick & Co with an address Room 314 Kansas City Southern Bldg, Kansas City Mo
The cigars were marked that they were made by Jose Arango & Co out of Tampa but they were boxed and sold by Afflick & Co, a tobacco shop in downtown Kansas City MO, which is now Diebel's Sportsman Gallery.

Hi Richard,
I stumbled upon this site because I was trying to find out about Afflick & Co myself.
I have an old cigar box from my grandfather. It's marked Afflick & Co with an address Room 314 Kansas City Southern Bldg, Kansas City Mo
The cigars were marked that they were made by Jose Arango & Co out of Tampa but they were boxed and sold by Afflick & Co, a tobacco shop in downtown Kansas City MO, which is now Diebel's Sportsman Gallery.
Welcome to BoB!!
That said, may I point out you are responding to a July 2014 thread!!! FTRPLT

I haven't heard of the Big Boy brand before, but it sounds like it was a good smoker for you. Maybe try checking out some vintage pipe forums or even asking around at local tobacco shops in Pittsburgh.