Any one know about the quality of the Peterson 'Harp'?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
Hey guys, have been looking around at pipes and found the Peterson Harp 221 which I think is a beautiful pipe, but does anyone know the finer details??

I think the stem is acrylic. Pretty pipes - typical peterson dip-stain though, so be prepared for an arduous break in.

Thanks, this is kind of what I meant, I don't really get the difference between the 'Harp' line and 'Killarney', oither than the silver band perhaps, is it really made from briar that's better?

not wanting to start a pissing match but if they are acrylic Peterson is not telling the truh... they are calling them cumberland..

Anway, no they are not made of 'special' briar..

the stem,silver band with harp, and maybe the stain are all that sets them apart.

I don't know if he has any but www.thesmoker.com usually has a good selection of Peterson briars for cheap.
If I'm not mistaken he is a good friend of our admin DPG.

It's faux cumberland. Where did y'all see that it was cumberland?

Peterson makes a good pipe, but these are no high grade than any other line. if you see one you like, buy it. But, they are by no means anything special.

For smokers, I still like the Donegal Rocky line the best, and I believe they have a silver band as well.

Yes Donegal has silver..

Truth is their standard lines smoke as well as their fancy lines.. They are all from the same stack of wood.

As for the Harps having Cumberland, Thats what they state on their website i posted in my first response. I don't know one way or another..but if it's not real cumberland I'd be pissed off after they called it cumberland...lol

I have always wanted a Sherlock Holmes Peterson. The members of the other forum I belonged to that have them told me they were dissapointed in theirs. A few stated that their lower end Petes smoked better than these, so I decided to pass on these.

Oh one other thing, at least with me I've noticed that some Peterson shapes smoke better than others.

For me it's shape 05 and the 999.

The O5 is a calabash I think, i have 2, plus a high grade that Mark Tinsky made for me. The 999 is a bent Rhodesian that I was going to have duplicated, but then Mark released the Christmas pipe which is simlar enough to satisfy me.

This could only be me though.

A Harp is not in my collection but the Emeralds, Rockys, Kinsales, St. Patricks Day and Irish Armys are. As for shapes I do like the 03, 05 and particularly the 999 though I've never noticed any difference in the smoking qualities of the shapes or lines I've owned. Iwan Ries has some good buys now on the various lines. You may want to check them out at Iwan Ries Peterson pipes in particular the Shamrock line which is not stained.

Jim..my ha'pence worth

Shape is important - some petes shapes smoke better than others for damn sure.

Hey guys thank you very much for all your info, I have been in contact with a regular online pipe salesman and asked about the harp 221, lol he has said as the shape isn't available in England it'll take six weeks to arrive, I think I got bewitched by its look for some reason or other, most probably the cumberland, which I hope is real cumberland lol. Sasquatch, still no change in requesting a pipe from you by the way, if this one comes first, I will do my best to honour what I have said, I know you wont be offended but I like to do what I intended to do.

Best wishes to all!

PJ

I wasn't losing sleep, Jimmy. :D

I like the 221 a lot. It's a nice shape. I got kind of a giant version of that in the 140th which is a gargantuan bent billiard along similar lines.

Ha ha glad to hear it, sounds like a nice pipe, I've often looked in wonder at larger pipes, some Boswell Jumbos definitley appeal :D

It was my first "really expensive" pipe, and it's a doozy. This is about life-size

cutdown.jpg

You know, if you like the shape of the 221 with the cumberland stem, then go for it. Order direct from Peterson's outlet store or from your online retailer. Its a handsome pipe with a hefty classic bent billiard style. I also note that the pictured pipe has a standard fishtail stem. You'll have to make a decision as to whether you want a p-lip or fishtail stem.

Sasquatch notes that the pipes are dip-stained. That means that everything is stained on the pipe - even the inside of the bowl and the airways. A few people take some sandpaper or steel wool and remove the stain from the inside of the bowl. Grab a pad of course steel wool, roll it into a shape that you can stuff into the bowl and twist away. You should be able to remove the stain fairly easily. Then begin your break in.

Assuming that everything is drilled squarely, the pipe will probably smoke well.

As for the Sherlock Holmes series, I bought a 'Squire' during the first release. That's the bent bulldog shape. I really like the look of the pipe but hate the p-lip, which it came with. So over the years, I hardly smoked it at all. I ultimately had LL make me a new fishtail stem. Now that I smoke it more, I can report that it is a nice smoker! When I got this pipe, it had some sort of dark coating in the bowl if I recall correctly. Now that it is older, some of the fills are apparent if you look really hard. I just enjoy the pipe!

These are LL's pics of my pipe:

Pete.Sav%20stem%20set%201.jpg

Pete.Sav%20stem%20set%202.jpg

Sasquatch":qbj9z4vg said:
Shape is important - some petes shapes smoke better than others for damn sure.
Guess I missed something along the way. Which Pete shapes smoke the best and which ones smoke the worst? and for what reason(s)?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

I've got a rusticated B10. I absolutely love it. Nice pipe to smoke for just about any occasion. Few complaints about it. Smokes cool, and dry. No filter.

:farao: