Any other skeet/trap/sporting clay shooters here?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysander

Reaction score
Skeet is my game with an occasional round of trap or sporting clays thrown in for variety. Weather permitting, I go to the range twice a week and shoot 100 rounds on each trip. My primary clays shotgun is a Beretta ASE90 over/under with a Browning Citori for backup. I've never shot in formal competition and have not broken that elusive 100 straight although I have logged two heart breaking 99's. My average is 23½ per round of 25.

If there are other shotgunners here, please sound off.

I used to be pretty heavy into skeet. I started shooting with a Remington 3200 and my downfall was high house, station 2. Lost three birds every round from that high house. After three years of missing that bird I took my 870 and
started dusting them and sold the 3200. Eventually I got good enough to compete on the regional level and took a lot of ribbing about using a trombone against the O/U and semiauto crowd, but I held my own and shut them up.

I found the sporting clays to be more challenging and enjoyed that for several years until the local course closed.

Not into skeet shooting, but the skeet club here in Tucson has a great little restaurant in it. We enjoy going there. Plus at this time of the year there having a lot of tourney's. A lot of snowbirds come down, shoot skeet and hang out. Might be worth a check.

There is a local skeet club. I may give that a try. Used to shoot trap and will probably do some for fun again soon.

I can't. Only shotty I have these days is a souped-up Saiga 12 and the trap/skeet club kicked me out because of it. Oops. :heart:

8)

Sounds like a convenient excuse on their part Kyle/ :lol!:

I shoot wobble skeet a couple times a week. Love the game despite being a non competitive shooter. Sporting clays is a blast (no pun intended) and I do travel occasionally to a club that is about 20 miles away for that fun game.
I am more of a gun collector/trader that specializes in smoothbores and just loves to reload and shoot skeet primarily. Favorite load is 28 gauge.
Standard skeet is a great game but wobble skeet is the balls.
:D

Kyle Weiss":d3r5x4rb said:
I can't.  Only shotty I have these days is a souped-up Saiga 12 and the trap/skeet club kicked me out because of it.   Oops.   :heart:

8)
I can understand why. There's a young member who shoots with one of those shotguns at our club, and I won't shoot with him on a round because of the muzzle blast. The blast is enough to shove you backwards if you're standing behind him, never mind beside him. He's a great kid, loves to shoot, but IMO those weapons don't belong on a skeet range unless the whole squad is using them!!! LOL

mark":4z8l11gq said:
Sounds like a convenient excuse on their part Kyle/ :lol!:
Pretty much. Golf courses, chess clubs, ice cream socials... I get kicked out of them all.

None of them like my shotgun. :mrgreen:

docwatson":4z8l11gq said:
I can understand why. There's a young member who shoots with one of those shotguns at our club, and I won't shoot with him on a round because of the muzzle blast. The blast is enough to shove you backwards if you're standing behind him, never mind beside him. He's a great kid, loves to shoot, but IMO those weapons don't belong on a skeet range unless the whole squad is using them!!! LOL
He must have one that had some very serious work done on it, questionably-legal muzzle shortening, etc, mine's all OEM besides a skeleton stock to lighten the frame, different grip and 10 round mags. I even brought the five-round mag, but to no avail.

Getting kicked out was kind of expected anyway. They're "old Nevada" rancher generations of folk (think real-life Ponderosa family types) and pretty much if you're not one of them, you can go elsewhere. If you bring in a good $4K over-under or a high-end Benelli you're tolerated until they bring out the club paperwork, which usually chases away the non-whites, non-family, non-money and non-Christian troublemakers. :heart:

8)

"old Nevada" rancher generations of folk (think real-life Ponderosa family types) and pretty much if you're not one of them, you can go elsewhere.   If you bring in a good $4K over-under or a high-end Benelli you're tolerated until they bring out the club paperwork, which usually chases away the non-whites, non-family, non-money and non-Christian troublemakers.
Sounds like a pretty selective club. We have some of those uppity clubs around here too, but not being one of the affluent high rollers, our shooting club is for anyone that enjoys the smell of gunpowder and can take some ribbing. Just a bunch of hard working, regular folks with like minded hobbies of shootin', fishin', and hunting. We shoot Tuesday's, sometimes Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday. And it's downright nasty out there at this time of year with temps below freezing at times.

docwatson":fijeveat said:

And it's downright nasty out there at this time of year with temps below freezing at times.

Amen. One year we had a league shoot in January, 10 degrees, 20 mph wind and snowing so hard at times you couldn't see the stake. Birds flying every which way. Of all the shoots it's the one I remember the best.

I proudly posted a 58 that day. :lol!:

mark":804q7uwc said:
docwatson":804q7uwc said:

And it's downright nasty out there at this time of year with temps below freezing at times.

Amen. One year we had a league shoot in January, 10 degrees, 20 mph wind and snowing so hard at times you couldn't see the stake. Birds flying every which way. Of all the shoots it's the one I remember the best.

I proudly posted a 58 that day. :lol!:  
Come on down to sunny Tucson AZ. it's in the mid 70's. The skeet club has an rv park right there and they have tourney's all the time during the winter.

[/quote]

I proudly posted a 58 that day. :lol!:  [/quote]

Each and every New Year's Day the club hosts a "Red Eye" shoot. LOL
Weather could be 40 degrees or 20 below zero.
It's a 50 bird shoot- 25 skeet, 25 trap.
And believe me, there are lots of shooters with "red eyes" and it's not from the cold. :lol!:

I've been a skeet shooter for over 20 years and love my Kolar Skeet set. Finest O/U I've ever owned. Just wish my skill was the same quality as the gun.