any perique blends people r liking right now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McClelland- Beacon Extra.....one of the undisputed kings of Perique

and I guess you know you double posted about this,, two minutes apart, so one of them may get deleted FYI

Dunhill deluxe navy rolls are very tasty if you've not tried them already. Dunbar and RJ Perique are some of my favs but they are hard to find. I've been wanting to try salty dogs by Dan Tobacco. It's a Vaper plug that looks promising. Also +1 on Beacon extra.
Cheers!

I am enjoying cabbies mixture right now, and the other night I did an experiment. 3 to 4 escudo coins, large pinch of cabbies mixture, and a few small pinches of G&h top black cherry to give hints of cherry. It gave me dried fruits, dried cherries, and pepper and spice. Was quite nice of a blend.

I keep saying it I know but Sillem's Councilor 1695 is fantastic.

Nuff Said!!!! :lol!:

Questions about perique blends will typically get the same answer from me... Samuel Gawith's St James Flake. I like the balance in this blend. The perique is most definitely there, subtle, but not overpowering. Yup. That's how I like it!

hobie1dog, you are right on regarding Beacon Extra. This is such a luscious tobacco, so good, it seems to bear NO relation to it's brother Beacon, which is a mystery to me. Another McClelland Perique tobak I've fallen in love with is Blakeney's Best Bayou Slice. I don't know how McClelland keeps producing all these "boutique blends" that you'd think would just be rehashes of their standards but are, in fact, completely different blends. Often times the detection of the differences necessitates slow, smooth smoking, but isn't that always the best way to enjoy a bowl of great tobacco anyway? After all, we aren't cigarette smokers, mindlessly sucking down a stick of nic in a minute's time!

McClelland's Tudor Castle. By no means a Perique bomb but it's in this blend adding some fig and raisin sweetness along with just enough spice to make it my favorite blend smoked only on holidays or in celebration of some special event. :)

AJ

allyby":ov6t3y5i said:
I keep saying it I know but Sillem's Councilor 1695 is fantastic.

Nuff Said!!!! :lol!:

Yes, you have my attention on this ally. I'll definitely be checking this out sometime in future. Until you mentioned it in another thread I had never even heard of it. Must fly under the radar somehow.

And as I've noted many times, McC bulk 2015 is my go-to VaPer.

Cheers,

RR

Gents:

I have been piping since December. So I have somewhat limited experience and learn something new every day!

The baccy's that I've tried are blended with perique, e.g. Dunhill Nightcap, Rattray's Old Gowrie.

I am still learning how to discern all the tastes and flavors in each tobacco.

My current favs: Nightcap, Maravilla, 1792, Bengal Slices (new version)

Steve

While waiting for my tin of Tudor Castle to arrive this Tuesday (purchased solely based on AJ's enthusiastic recommendation)I've been falling head over heels in love with Stokkbye's Luxury Navy Flake each and every day

I popped a tin of McClelland St James Woods last week and it's a pretty interesting VaPer. The red and black Virginias are really really sweet but the peppery perique provides some balance to the blend. I like Escudo better but it's nice to mix things up a bit.

Well, AJ, Lemme tell you......I got a little thrown at first by Tudor Castle because it differed so much from all my other VaPers because of the magic ingredient, namely YENIDJE. And, to tell you the truth, it took me a couple bowls just to get my sea legs from this exotic stuff.

But that was then and this is now, and now...................I LOVE this tobacco! You are absolutely right, and I can understand why you keep it for special occasions, although I have a hard time understanding how you can keep yourself from considering every single day special enough to smoke a bowl of Tudor Castle.

It's not your average VaPer, folks, because of the Oriental element, but it certainly has its place amongst all of my many VaPers.

And before I forget, I've also discovered a couple McClelland bulk tobaks - 2015 and 5100. Both excellent, but only 2015 has Perique in it. I highly recommend getting a couple ounces of this for a whirl and I guarantee you'll fall in love with it, too.

Thanks again, AJ, for the solid tip on Tudor Castle!

smoker13":egthid0p said:
Well, AJ, Lemme tell you......I got a little thrown at first by Tudor Castle because it differed so much from all my other VaPers because of the magic ingredient, namely YENIDJE.  And, to tell you the truth, it took me a couple bowls just to get my sea legs from this exotic stuff.

But that was then and this is now, and now...................I LOVE this tobacco! You are absolutely right, and I can understand why you keep it for special occasions, although I have a hard time understanding how you can keep yourself from considering every single day special enough to smoke a bowl of Tudor Castle.

Thanks again, AJ, for the solid tip on Tudor Castle!
When I need my VaPer fix and it's not a holiday or special occasion I go to McC PebbleCut. Though not quite as sweet and it doesn't have Yenidje like Tudor Castle I find the taste very similar. In fact I just opened a aged tin of PebbleCut yesterday and have been enjoying it last night and today.

I'm glad you found Tudor Castle to your liking. Wait until you try some that is at least 5 years old. :)

AJ

I really like everything about Peretti's No. 8. I smoke Chenet's Cake when I need the hard stuff.

I am going to try the blends mentioned above and see how I like those.

Perique is my favorite!

:twisted: