Any port drinkers out there?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrT999":31pmrtmo said:
kieveryuu":31pmrtmo said:
I have not a had a port yet that did not improve with decanting. If it is good out of the bottle it better with open age on it.
Actually, most non-sparkling wines benefit from decanting
This is a good and accurate point. I just rarely take the time to decant red wine. Also, when decanting a standard red wine one will be drinking it the same evening or within 24 hours. Where as with port, if you have a good stopper you can keep the port aging well for months.

kieveryuu":z9bi70k1 said:
DrT999":z9bi70k1 said:
kieveryuu":z9bi70k1 said:
I have not a had a port yet that did not improve with decanting. If it is good out of the bottle it better with open age on it.
Actually, most non-sparkling wines benefit from decanting
This is a good and accurate point. I just rarely take the time to decant red wine. Also, when decanting a standard red wine one will be drinking it the same evening or within 24 hours. Where as with port, if you have a good stopper you can keep the port aging well for months.
True; except for older wines I rarely decant even though I know I should, unless it's for a somewhat more formal dinner.

I recently started cellaring port. Mostly what I have is 10 year old. Up 8 bottles so far. Its hard to look at and not be tempted to open it.

atwageman":9efxxk5p said:
I recently started cellaring port. Mostly what I have is 10 year old. Up 8 bottles so far. Its hard to look at and not be tempted to open it.

No that feeling well. Have a couple bottles that have been cellared for several years now. From when I still had a job and could afford it. At the moment I do not have unopened bottle younger than 15yrs.

Just got into port and Madeira about 2 months ago and really enjoy it. I find it goes really well with a pipe.
So far in ports I have tried:
Graham's six grapes
Dow's Fine Tawny Port
Hardy's Whisker's Blake
All have been very good. The Dow's being my least favorite.

I'm a big fan of tawny ports, Cockburn's Tawny being my favorite everyday port.

Some other ports I've really enjoyed are Warre's Otima and Messina Hoff's Papa Paulo port as well as their Ebony Port of Call.

Graham's late bottled vintage port used to be a favourite. Haven't drank that in a while though, I'm too cheap :( but this topic made me wonder if I should purchase some, I bet it would go great with a nice smoke.

Saw on the the "For Love of Port" site about decanting Vintage and Late bottle port. Never even considered it in all my years, but then again, I drink French Pressed coffee so sediment does not bother me. Found this little gem of a video about how to decant unfiltered port.

How to decant vintage port

Harlock999":r37ytbbd said:
Two down, so many more to try...
Founders Reserve is fantastic, I ended up getting so attached to it I would buy a bottle and take it fishing with me and sip it straight out. Good stuff.

I love porto with a good cigar. Haven't tried it with pipe yet

rev

I can't get into it. I like wine and I like brandy, but I don't seem to like the combination.

Simple Man":zwy33ihx said:
Dave_In_Philly":zwy33ihx said:
I can't get into it. I like wine and I like brandy, but I don't seem to like the combination.
Same here.
Madeiras and most sherries are more tobacco friendly than port. You might want to try some!

I know Messina Hoff's (local winery) makes a port (actually two) that is made with a yeast that is tolerant to higher fermentation levels and they do not add brandy after it's done fermenting. The trade-off is that it's 18ABV instead of the usual 20-22ABV of port, but it's delicious and extraordinarily fruity. I don't know what other port makers do this or if that'd help as for as the wine/brandy combination dislike, but it may be worth a try for the curious.

I have always liked port wines more than others, and I dig port wine cheese! I just recently had the Sandeman's and it is awesome!