Any quality concerns with Macqeen pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying a churchwarden for a while, and to be honest I really like the pipe Gandalf smoked in the LOTR films. While Macqueen seem to be selling replicas, they look suspiciously cheap at about $50 a pipe. Does anyone have any experience of these pipes? I'd like one, but if they don't smoke well or are made to a poor standard I'd rather save money and maybe look at a commission from a brother.

I've wanted one for a while, too, since they're kinda cool looking. I've heard lots of negatives that some of the brothers could probably touch on more. Anything from being poor smokers (although I've spoken with lots of people who love their MacQ pipes), to never receiving them after months or a year or more of waiting...

The are decent pipes...IF you can get one. If you want one go through cigarstorejay on here or one of the online retailers but definitely DO NOT go directly through MacQueen. They had engineering problems early on which were corrected. For the price to product they are a decent buy on a decent pipe. They come with either an ash bowl or a briar bowl for an additional 9.95 and to me it is worth the step up to briar. Realistically, you could spend your money on worse pipes but they aren't a bad deal. pipesandcigars.com has them as well.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t16356-a-question-about-macqueen-pipes

Pay your money, order a pipe, and forget about it for a year. You will receive your pipe and it will surprise you.

The alternative is to expect a reasonable turn around time and be disappointed.

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback and links guys, I'll take that into due consideration.

Sorry I forgot until you just responded. I checked with pipesandcigars.com and all their MacQueens are sold out. I don't know what is up with their production times but it would appear that they are having a hold up even at secondary retailers. Good luck buddy.

I am a retailer of their pipes.

I placed an order over 2 months ago and am still waiting myself.

I considered the Macqueen pipes also. Was worried about the long wait time. I ended up going with a Luna pipe.
I lost the one in my avatar. Have another one ordered only with an acrylic tip.
They are priced very reasonable. Short wait time. Made by one guy. Easy to deal with.

winterland":g72joz74 said:
I considered the Macqueen pipes also. Was worried about the long wait time. I ended up going with a Luna pipe.
I lost the one in my avatar. Have another one ordered only with an acrylic tip.
They are priced very reasonable. Short wait time. Made by one guy. Easy to deal with.
Here's the link:
http://www.lunapipes.com/

They actually resemble the MacQueen pipes but have more choices available as per pipe color and the end of the stem. Heck they make them in green if you want. Prices are pretty close to MacQueens and if the guy is as easy to work with as winterland says that'll put him light years ahead of MacQueen.

MacQueen imitators is what they seem. It is a shame that MacQueen has such a negative image image amongst pipe smokers. The number of copy cats and knockoffs is a testament to the style of pipe they have popularized. They do make a nice product. These pipes (Luna) while nice, are exact copies of the MacQueen Wizard pipes.

cigarstorejay":lq8l0loj said:
MacQueen imitators is what they seem. It is a shame that MacQueen has such a negative image image amongst pipe smokers. The number of copy cats and knockoffs is a testament to the style of pipe they have popularized. They do make a nice product. These pipes (Luna) while nice, are exact copies of the MacQueen Wizard pipes.
I'll take a copy I can get over an original I can't any day. MacQueen has ruined themselves with their customer service. 8-12 week production times turning into 5 months without a courtesy email or anything, or a willingness to respond to emails of customers means they won't get another dime from myself directly or indirectly. Besides the Luna pipes are bigger Galdalf 18" vs Wizard 15". They may be exact copies but they are evidently available and the maker is easy to work wih which gives them an immediate two thumbs up in my book. A testament to their style yes, but they have more than earned their negative image.

kaiser83":h986oabe said:
cigarstorejay":h986oabe said:
I'll take a copy I can get over an original I can't any day. MacQueen has ruined themselves with their customer service. 8-12 week production times turning into 5 months without a courtesy email or anything, or a willingness to respond to emails of customers means they won't get another dime from myself directly or indirectly. Besides the Luna pipes are bigger Galdalf 18" vs Wizard 15". They may be exact copies but they are evidently available and the maker is easy to work wih which gives them an immediate two thumbs up in my book. A testament to their style yes, but they have more than earned their negative image.
Which really is ashame. MacQueen's styles are what originally drew me in to liking the churchwarden style. Their pipes are great looking, but the incredible wait times coupled with "Am I gonna get a bad smoker?" is a scary combo. I know MacQ has upped their quality control, but I've still heard (recent) stories about getting a beautiful pipe with a bad draw. Not gonna lie, I'd still love one of their Ranger pipes...