Any recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McClellend's 5100 is pretty decent, mild and a good all day smoke... I have not tried their other bulk blends, but, as McClellend's is well known for their virginia blends, I am sure there are some good ones. Luxury Twist Flake is a straight virginia (Peter Stokebbeye, not sure on the spelling there) with a light topping, is also very good.

SG Full Virginia Flake might be the Holy Grail of virginia by the pound (not sure if you consider it truly bulk but does come in half and full pounds, some places sell it by the ounce). Pretty hard to come by right now, I found a few pounds yesterday but at a higher than normal price.

McC's bulk 5100 alone is kind of bland, but you can mix it up with 5105 or other dark virginias to give it some more depth. A little perique in there never hurts as well if that is your thing. If you like VaPers then bulk 2015 is hard to beat especially once it has been aged for even a year or so.

You *may* want to give Boswell's Dan's Blend a try. I smoke it pretty regularly and enjoy almost every bowl to one degree or another. I have found it to be a tasty, simple, easy packing, easy smoking all day kind of mix of different virginias in a longish ribbon cut, with a mild tasty topping/casing that does not detract at all from the experience in my opinion. Looks like strings of shiny gold, a very pretty and approchable tobacco.

I have heard/read all kinds of rumors and speculation about different BW blends, but in my admittedly very limited experience I have not been able to find many other VAs as casually reliable and approachable as Dan's blend, although certainly I have had plenty that are more interesting and provide a more revelatory smoking experience, so to speak.

I've got a metric crapload of it in storage...be happy to send you a sample if you like.

I should have prefaced this by stating "any blend but FVF" cause I have aprox 2lbs of it and McCrannies red ribbon cellared

Frost":gcwefze6 said:
You *may* want to give Boswell's Dan's Blend a try. I smoke it pretty regularly and enjoy almost every bowl to one degree or another. I have found it to be a tasty, simple, easy packing, easy smoking all day kind of mix of different virginias in a longish ribbon cut, with a mild tasty topping/casing that does not detract at all from the experience in my opinion. Looks like strings of shiny gold, a very pretty and approchable tobacco.

I have heard/read all kinds of rumors and speculation about different BW blends, but in my admittedly very limited experience I have not been able to find many other VAs as casually reliable and approachable as Dan's blend, although certainly I have had plenty that are more interesting and provide a more revelatory smoking experience, so to speak.

I've got a metric crapload of it in storage...be happy to send you a sample if you like.
What is the casing like?

Not sure what it might be really, but it isn't fruity or chocolatey or anything. It seems to me just to be an extra overt sweetness on top of the normal VA subtle sweetness. Might just be sugar or honey or the like.

Edit: Oh, and it is definately not gooey or goopy in my pipe like a traditional aro, despite whatever casing/topping there may be.

Second on the Dans Blend, a tasty comfortable VA. Sweet, pleasant, and burns clean.

i really love pipewoks&wilke's dummerston.
check it out at tobaccoreviews.com to see what others say about this straight virginia in broken flake.
i've tried 5100, fvf, blackwoods flake, how, marlin flake plus others and dummerston is still my favorite by a wide margin. ymmv and all that disclaimer stuff
jr/john

Trust me on this one paddy-boy! 'Old Red' one of Scotty's blends from pipesandcigars.com. Simple, Sweet, Soft, Tasty and Well Behaved. If you need a big nicotine hit look elsewhere but other than that I haven't found a better straight Virginia plus the price is budget friendly.

I love MacBaren VA no1. It's my go to tobacco. Now, my Dad says it tastes like hay. To each his own.

I got the sample from Frost
Dan's blend is pretty good but I do detect the faintest hint of vanilla but no tongue bite or headache, Frost provided a generous sample
Many Thanks

Sailor Jack
I ordered a lb of Old Red per your recommendation, I believe we were on the same page with CAO midnight ride + if i don't like it I can always give it away.

You may be right on with the vanilla paddy. I couldn't quite place it, and I usually taste more tobacco then...whatever else it is, but now that you say it vanilla does seem right.

Frost":2rrkjxli said:
You may be right on with the vanilla paddy. I couldn't quite place it, and I usually taste more tobacco then...whatever else it is, but now that you say it vanilla does seem right.
I smoked two more bowls last night.
It is growing on me. Each time I smoke it I taste more tobacco. It has a nice sweet nutty flavor.