Any Reloaders?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Kinda curious if there are any like minded individuals?

What do you reload?

Lets see. I started off with 38/357's then added 45 LC, 45acp, 9x18,9x17,30/30,7.62x54R, 7.62x39. At some point I'll pick up what I need for 7.62 Nagant, 32 short, and I'm sure a few others.

Oh also load 12&16ga shot shells

Jim

Interesting range there.. Is the 7.62x54R for a Mosin or do you have a sporting rifle? I had never considered that caliber due to semi cheap ammo but I suppose for any level of precision it makes sense.

For some time I've handed over powder/brass/primers for reloading but I'm in the hunter gatherer stage of acquiring my own stuff. Not that I get to shoot much anymore but I figure it'd be something fun to tinker with.

It sure was for a Mosin. Best rifle I ever made the mistake of letting go. Bought it back in '86 well before the imports were coming in. It was a Remington that had been shipped off for the "White" Russians. It had been reworked by the Finns. Imagine my surprise at getting tight cloverleafs with open sights at 100 yards with factory Norma ammo. Had to use a motor with spooling paper to prove one hole 3 shot groups once I started loading my own. Of course the reason I loaded my own for that one back then was ammo was $30 a box plus shipping cause nobody carried it!

Yeah these toys ain't cheep by a long shot! I started off as cheep as I could and am still using that old press. I only recently bothered to get a case cleaner. Most of my loading is for pistols with carbide dies so I never bothered with cleaning those. Used to spend hours with a rag and Brasso though when I wanted to load for the rifles. Last batch I loaded was 550 45acp, 200 9x18, and 350 .380 auto. I got lost in that for days.

22 Hornet, 22-250 Rem, 6mm Rem, 8x57, 358 Win, 10mm, 40 S&W, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44 Russian, 44 Special, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 28ga, 16ga, & 12ga. I can also do 44mag, but do not have anything chambered in it.

.44 Mag, 45/70. Not much in the way of a challenge being straight walled cases, but the savings is of prime interest.

How many times can you reload a 38spl brass? 6,482
How many times can you reload 5.56? 4

Lol, well except it's not to lol.

puros_bran":cwqv6t39 said:
How many times can you reload a 38spl brass?  6,482
How many times can you reload 5.56?  4

Lol, well except it's not to lol.
5.56, 250/3000, 22/250, .308, 30.06, 30-40 krag, 7.62x39, 30 carb, 32-20, 44-40, 45/70, .38, .357, 380, 9mm, .40 auto, 45 auto, 45 lc . PB to answer you question about how long a casing can be reloaded depends on how much brass you have to remove off of each casing. Auto and semi auto rifle loose more brass each loading due to the fact that you have to re-size the entire casing, whereas on a bolt action you just re size the neck. your straight walled are the same as there is not much brass flow from firing just FYI. MIKE

Spud, You misunderstood my silly response to Marks 'straight walled' comment as a question. I was answering my own questions with my hyperbolic response.

One thing I've learned since getting .223 reloaded: Brass matters a lot.
I always wondered what was so great about Lake City brass, then I found out.. Brass isn't created equal.

puros_bran":fvunso41 said:
Spud, You misunderstood my silly response to Marks 'straight walled' comment as a question.  I was answering my own questions with my hyperbolic response.  

One thing I've learned since getting .223 reloaded:  Brass matters a lot.
I always wondered what was so great about Lake City brass, then I found out.. Brass isn't created equal.
My mind must be turning into oatmeal in my old age....... Before Iraq and Afghanistan it didn't pay to reload .223 you could pick up surplus for $00.10 a round or less and sell the brass to the scrap yards. Now the scrap yards wont except casings as they are afraid of unspent primers. Lake City is some great brass. MIKE

I'm a shotgunner who reloads my hulls. If you shoot much .410 or 28 gauge, you need to reload because of the ridiculously high cost of factory rounds. With 12 & 20 gauge the savings is not dramatic. I shoot a lot of 12 gauge sheet. For this I make a very light (¾ oz.) load which is all you need for the close range of skeet. This lowers both the cost and recoil.

Lysander":8l17n5kn said:
With 12 & 20 gauge the savings is not dramatic. .
Once the price of components went ballistic I sold my progressive. Now I buy with case discounts, sell the once fired AA hulls and still come out ahead. Crazy.

Fellow reloader here, I load for everything I shoot except rimfire and shotgun. My current list, off the top of my head:
9mm
38/357
44 mag/special
45 Colt
45 ACP
223 Rem
243 Win
30-30
30-06
300 WSM
50 Beowulf

mark":xaij6a1a said:
Lysander":xaij6a1a said:
With 12 & 20 gauge the savings is not dramatic. .
Once the price of components went ballistic I sold my progressive. Now I buy with case discounts, sell the once fired AA hulls and still come out ahead. Crazy.
I do the same (except for selling the hulls) when Winchester does one of their rebate offers on AA shells. Last year I was able to combine a nice sale at Dick's with the rebate and got the ammo for a net of $4.50/box. Then I have high quality hulls for reloading.

Well looks like I might possibly have secured my own set up..
Kind of excited. And wondering how much more I could have shot had I pursued this path 25 years ago.... But then again 25 years ago I could go into Roses and by an unissued Enfield for $45 and a bucket of shells for another $10.. Lol. Remember when 9mm was $3 per 50? I do.

Anyway I digress... I picked up an old set of RCBS 38/357 dies off a guy on a reloading forum.. Almost picked up a 380 set off of him too. Glad I didn't because I traded my 380 for a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 scope... Anyway, I bought my first die.

Then tonight I've ran into a guy that seems to want to trade his New HORNADY Lock n Load classic kit, plus 223 dies, a tumbler, a set of calipers, and a sizing tool for my Yugo M59 C series SKS. The rifle is worth more than his set up by a decent margin, IF you can find an SKS collector that realizes it's semi-rare, otherwise it's worth $350 lol. So I think I'm going to do it if he doesn't get the jitters and think I'm trying to screw him somehow.

Now I need to fire some ammo to procure some brass. Lol.

Bemused":tngcowlw said:
50 Beowulf
Guy here in town has one for sell for $1300.. I thought about seeing if he needs a kidney or lung or something.. Lol.

Curious, (but not curious enough to look it up) what's that cost to reload

puros_bran":8rzy31s2 said:
Bemused":8rzy31s2 said:
50 Beowulf
Guy here in town has one for sell for $1300.. I thought about seeing if he needs a kidney or lung or something.. Lol.  

Curious, (but not curious enough to look it up) what's that cost to reload
Depends on the bullet but I shoot a Speer 350gr deep curl for ~ $.75-.80 a shot. That's what I hunt with. For a plinking bullet I load a Berry's plated for around $.50 a shot. I don't shoot the rifle a whole lot currently but it's a cool cartridge.

45-90 for my Buffalo rifles (519 grain bullet with 42 gr 5744 powder), 45-70, 45acp, 45 LC, 300 Win Mag, 308, 7mm Mag, 223, 303 British, 9mm, 38 special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 44 Mag, 12 gauge and probably a few I'm forgetting. I also pour my own bullets for the different 45 calibers.