Any suggestions on aromatic tobacco to try

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a coffee aromatic, I really enjoyed Peretti's Coffee Blend.
For a chocolate aromatic, Uhle's Hunt Club is also great.

Don't hesitate to use some of the many terrific online retailers as a source to pick up an ounce or two of a bulk aromatic to try.  For example, I frequently buy from pipesandcigars.com - their Trout Stream is fabulous plus you can sample marvelous blends from Lane such as LL-7, RLP-6, or MV-1000 or Sutliff blends like Buttered Rum or Rum and Maple.

I personally find house blends from old established online retailers to be the best.  Check out the aromatics from Uhles, Peretti, Boswell, Milan Tobacconists, 4Noggins, or vtpipes.com.  They all put out very high quality aromatics that burn great, taste great, have a great room note, and won't goop up your pipes.  Look at people's opinions of the blends from these retailers on Tobaccoreviews.com (and keep in mind the reviews are just people's opinions!).  I'd also suggest picking up a few corn cob pipes to use as you try different aromatics.  I personally haven't run into any tax issues when ordering from online places.  I'd prefer to buy locally, but our great state of Minnesota has prohibitively high taxes on pipe tobaccos.

Enjoy the journey!

Big G":x1s7qyey said:
For a coffee aromatic, I really enjoyed Peretti's Coffee Blend.
For a chocolate aromatic, Uhle's Hunt Club is also great.
You can solve both at once by getting a hold of Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus, OH...they have a house blend "Johnny Mocha." When I was into aromatics I always enjoyed it, quite a bit. Their website is a bit funky and I'm not sure if their online store is actually up and running - but you can call and they'll ship it out.

Thanks Big G & idbowman ... a lot of good suggestions

I had to run a couple errands yesterday, while I was out stopped off & got another cob a straight MM Legend. I also dropped by a smoke shop to pick up some OTC's I've been wanting to try. I got a pouch of Carter Hall & some Super Value black cavendish. I have sampled them both & for a non-aromatic Carter Hall has some really good flavor. The black cav is pretty good too, I was pleasantly surprised by both. I got a pretty good start on the wish list on Tobacco reviews & appreciate everyones suggestions. I am going to enjoy what I have on hand & start acquiring some other selections in the future. Now I just need to get some jars or something to keep things fresh.

Once again thanks for all the great suggestions, you guys are awesome!

Found my answer. Please ignore.

Puff Daddy":7hjy2cg0 said:
The problem with many aromatics is that the tobaccos used are often pretty crummy and they are usually heavily sauced and loaded with preservative. End result, an initial blast of whatever flavor topping was added followed by a not very good tasting pipe. There are a few exceptions though.

If you like the Captain Black type flavor profile, try Lane Ltd RLP-6. It's basically Captain Black but not overly preserved with PG and the tobacco base tastes pretty decent. Dry it out a bit before smoking.

Often the American aromatics appeal to smokers who haven't developed a taste for tobacco. If you actually like good deep rich tobacco with an aromatic note, there are a couple of good options. The very best I've tried, and the one I smoke regularly, is Gawith and Hoggarth Black and Brown. Tastes like very, very good tobacco, the black cavendish is richly flavored with molasses and it is only slightly sweet, like someone sprinkled a little sugar over it. It's wonderful. Worth smoking also is GL Pease Barbary Coast, rich dark cube cut burley with red virginia and topped with brandy. McClelland Fragrant Matured cake (fmc2000) is a simple virginia flake topped with maple, very delicious. With these three, smoke slowly and patiently, sipping your pipe rather than puffing up great clouds of smoke, and you will be rewarded greatly :)

Puff Daddy":ttwcr62z said:
The problem with many aromatics is that the tobaccos used are often pretty crummy and they are usually heavily sauced and loaded with preservative.
Seconded.

Also, there's confusion as to what "aromatic" means, because the heavily-sauced stuff needs a genre of its own.

For example, Royal Yacht has some kind of flavoring on it, sort of like a lime soaked in vinegar with a prune. Does that make it an aromatic?

I'd consider Prince Albert an aromatic, but it's an entirely different animal than, say, Lane 1-Q.