Anybody heard of this?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCnBham

Reaction score
I recently won a pipe on Ebay (my third from Ebay), and can barely find any information on it. The only thing is a You Tube interview with the pipe maker, but it's all in German!! It's a new pipe, hand carved, and somewhat unusual in that the shank of the pipe looks like relieved tree bark, then the bit is about a 1/8 to 1/4 bent piece about 2.5" long or so. It's very different than anything I've seen before. The markings on the pipe are "Hand Carved MS Thuringen". I queried the seller (he sells a lot of estate pipes, new pipes, etc) and he told me the MS stands for Matthias Seichter, a pipemaker in Germany who makes about 60-70 pipes per year. The pipe has a smooth Volcano shaped bowl, with beautiful, straight briar, and is stained a nice orange/blonde color. I would post a photo, but I am unable to do so because I have not been a member long enough to imbed a link. I think that Thuringen is a town in Germany, so I suppose that's whay it's stamped on the pipe. It is a 9mm filter pipe, as are most Germans I've seen.

It is such an unusual piece that I could not live without it and got what I think is a good deal, particularly considering the beautiful briar the bowl is made from.

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of the brand/pipemaker?

Well you have gotten me curious, so please just post the link so I can copy and paste it.

I don't know if this will work or not...

Nope...I can't post any links for 7 days.

I could send you a picture and let you post it if your email is in your profile....

This is one of his:

seichter1.JPG

And another:

MSHand.jpg

I received the pipe a week or so ago and have smoked 4-5 bowls of Loren 1864 in it. The pipe is beautifully made, the briar is striking, and the pipe smokes extremely nice, particularly considering it is new. I will buy another of his pipes if I ever find one.

I can finally post pictures...so here is the photo of the pipe mentioned in the orginal post.

That's a nice lookin' pipe you've got there! The band before the rustication on the shank really catches my eye and makes the contrast pop. Glad to hear you like it!

Sweet find TC, looks well executed, well balanced, and a nice clencher! :cheers: