Anyone drink brandy while piping?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
I recently discovered the joys of drinking single malt scotch while smoking my pipe. I also enjoy a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale from time to time, but I'm looking for a little more variety in my libations. I was thinking maybe a little good brandy once in a while would be a nice change of pace. Any brothers drink brandy while smoking and, if so, what kind?

Kim

The only brandies I've had on the regular are Don Pedro and El Presidente, but it's usually not straight (they're not exactly sipping brandy) but in sangria, with cola or in a Betsy Ross (port, brandy and triple sec). I did pick up a bottle of calvados (apple brandy) a week ago that I have sipped on a few times while smoking. Different, but tasty.

Seems like brandy isn't very popular here but, being the curious lush that I am, I bought a small bottle of Christian Brothers brandy today and gave it a try. I poured a bit of the distilled grape into the bottom of a brandy snifter and sipped on it for about a half hour while smoking some Dunbar in my new Tsuge bent brandy (seemed appropriate :) . I have to say that it was a pretty enjoyable experience and one that I will surely repeat from time to time. The brandy was a little sweet but didn't seem to over ride the taste of the vaper at all. As joemellon said above "it isn't sippin' brandy" but it tastes fine to me and warms on the way down.

Kim

Glad you enjoyed the brandy, Ragged Claws. Yeah, it doesn't seem to be very popular. Just like the rest of y'all I tend to be drinking some form of whiskey while I smoke (though it's probably more often tawny port or gin, and even more often just plain coffee). It's funny with these harder libations, we sip from our pipe and we sip from our glass. A little of this and a little of that and all we get is a real play on all five senses. A real immersive experience.

If you like apples or enjoy apple cider, I'd definitely give calvados a go. It's a little rustic, but tasty all the same.

joemelon":ek9pemnj said:
If you like apples or enjoy apple cider, I'd definitely give calvados a go. It's a little rustic, but tasty all the same.
Try a few; they can be both very good or very bad - just like any other spirit :pirat:

I used to drink Brandy. I liked Remy Martin, easily found, not crazy expensive.

Then I moved to Florida. We probably get 10 days of brandy weather in a year so I stopped buying it; Bourbons work better in this climate.

Cheers!

If you like apples or enjoy apple cider, I'd definitely give calvados a go. It's a little rustic, but tasty all the same.[/quote]

I'll give the Calvados a try if I can find it where I live. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kim

soylentgreen":0b9mzyfh said:

Then I moved to Florida. We probably get 10 days of brandy weather in a year so I stopped buying it; Bourbons work better in this climate.

Cheers!
I'd forgotten about Remy Martin. I'll have to re-visit that brandy.

Although I live in California, it still gets a little cold in the evenings here in the Sacramento Delta. A bit of brandy or single malt while piping on my patio warms the body and the spirit.

Kim

ragged claws":ilr37h72 said:
soylentgreen":ilr37h72 said:

Cheers!
I'd forgotten about Remy Martin. I'll have to re-visit that brandy.

Although I live in California, it still gets a little cold in the evenings here in the Sacramento Delta. A bit of brandy or single malt while piping on my patio warms the body and the spirit.

Kim
I lived in SF Bay area in the 90s (that's when I always had Brandy on hand). You should try Germain-Robin which is made not far from your home. I liked it very much. Between that and Remy, you've got two very different brandies, both excellent.

Enjoy.

Frozenthunderbolt":0vfkaane said:
joemelon":0vfkaane said:
Try a few; they can be both very good or very bad - just like any other spirit :pirat:
Yeah, that's what I've read. Want to share the one's you feel are very bad and why? May save the dissatisfaction of buying a bad bottle.

Now y'all have piqued my interest in brandy. Will definitely have to pick up a bottle of Remy Martin to sample.

joemelon":j3dsu6z4 said:
Yeah, that's what I've read. Want to share the one's you feel are very bad and why? May save the dissatisfaction of buying a bad bottle..
Mostly tried local artisan ones - prenzels here in NZ do a nice one.

Mostly to compare to my own - legal to home distill in NZ for personal consumption.

Look for something batch distilled - it will have propper cuts made on the distillation and then blended for taste. It will have less heads - sharp burning cogeners like acetal-aldyhyde and tails in it. This will make for a tastier and smoother spirit that will give less headache.

All the big-boys run continuous stills that are crap at separating the different fractions.

Ragged Claws,

I used to drink a bit more brandy a few years back. My absolute favorites were from Spain's Jerez region, where makers specialize in brandy's that are made with the airen grape that produces a richer darker and slightly sweeter liquor. These are absolutely fantastic for enjoying with a cigar or pipe.

I'd highly recommend Cardenal Mendoza, Gran Duque D'Alba, Manso and Contreras, and 1866 Gran Reserve. Bev Mo carries a few of them, you may also check out Corti Brothers Market in Sacramento since you live in the area.

Trust me, if you enjoy brandy you will not be disappointed pairing a pipe with any of these.

Drums and Beer, I'll take your list with me next week when I go to the Bevmo in Lodi for another bottle of single malt.

Thanks to everyone for all of the brandy suggestions. I had no idea that there were so many fine (and expensive :shock:) brandies available. In the mean time I'll just continue to sip my pedestrian Christian Brothers until I can pick up a bottle of something better based on your suggestions.

Kim

ragged claws":90v9242e said:
Drums and Beer, I'll take your list with me next week when I go to the Bevmo in Lodi for another bottle of single malt.

Thanks to everyone for all of the brandy suggestions. I had no idea that there were so many fine (and expensive :shock:) brandies available. In the mean time I'll just continue to sip my pedestrian Christian Brothers until I can pick up a bottle of something better based on your suggestions.

Kim
Kim,

Another that I forgot to mention is Torres 10 year Gran Reserve. Not only is it a good Jerez region brandy, it has a very reasonable price. Expect the ($20-30) range.