Anyone else into Black Cavendish?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay_Williams

Reaction score
Since I started using my Peterson dry system a lot more I find Black Cavendish amazing to smoke.

anyone else into the Cavendish?

Regular black cav... No!!!!!!

But blends with a little sweet black cav are ok by me.. Like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury or their Luxury Twist (or whatever they call it).

Black Cavendish gets a bad rap for the most part.

You know I just had the English Luxury a week ago and though it was heavenly, for awhile I stayed away from the Black Cavendish but since coming around to it, it's becoming a favorite.

Its kinda funny how many guys claim to hate Cavendish but smoke it in blends without even thinking about it.. Like Dunhill 965, that stuff is loaded with "unsweetened" cav..

It reminds me alot of guys that claim to hate aromatics yet smoke GH&Co 'lakelands'..

I believe we pipesmokers rely alot more on our preconceived notions than we do our tastebuds. I could be wrong,but I don't think I am. :D

Oh yeah I surly agree, I tend to keep and open mind when it comes to tobacco, wither it be a burley, aromatic, flake, Latakia. you never know what your gonna enjoy

I'm with PB on this one...mix it in and I can enjoy it, but not so much on its own. DH 965, Lux Twist Flake are some of my favorites.

By "Black Cavendish," are you referring to Lane's BC-A? If so, I really like it. I also like McClelland's Vanilla Black Cavendish.

I started smoking a pipe in January, so I'm still trying to sort out what will work for me. As part of a large ($250) tobacco order from pipesandcigars.com, I bought 4 oz. of Haunted Bookshop because I had read so many good reviews about it. I tried it yesterday morning, and loved the aroma and taste, but it bit my tongue in an awful way, even though I was consciously smoking at a moderate pace. Later that day, I thought, it cannot be as much of a biter as I believed, so I tried it again. Ye Gads! I could not finish the bowl.

Obviously, Haunted House is considered an excellent blend, but not for me at this time. But I do quite enjoy BC-A and VBC.

Add me to the chorus of people who like it as a supporting player. I find I like some added sweetness when it is outdoor smoking weather. Even the "American English" style, which brings burley and BC to the party, really hits the spot for me sometimes.

Put me down as another supporter of Lane's BC-A. But then, i'm not very particular when it comes to Tobacco blends. For me it depends upon what i'm in the mood for. Whether it's Dunhill 965, Mac Baren's Black Ambrosia, McClelland's Tudor Castle, or Captain Black White - it's all about what i'm in the mood for at any particular time.

But to the OP, yes - I do enjoy an occasional bowl of Black Cavendish; you're not alone Brother.

I like it in limited doses as well. As others have said it´s part of many of the well known and loved blends but just not in the forefront. PS Bullseye Flake comes to mind as one I smoke regularly...

Lately I´ve HAD to smoke straight black cavendish as about 5 lbs. of tobacco I ordered is lost somewhere in Mexican customs. MacBaren aros are the only thing available here and Black Ambrosia happens to be one of 'em. :evil:

I'm not into anything aromatic. However, it's funny that there's a thread about BC because tucked in my last 2 orders from Smokingpipes.com is a sample 1.5 oz of B20 Black Cavendish by Altadis. That's 3 oz I'd happily trade for any non-aromatic. PM me if interested.

Peace-Mike :cheers:

I'm a fan of Black Cavendish. It's an old reliable for me. It's like toasted wet donuts on a grilled leather sock. Love it! In fact, I'm going to tuck a poke now.

Most of my favorite blends have a black cav. in it. I like 'em slightly sweetened, too. I have never tried it alone, but may need to sometime.

yeah it's defiantly good with a blend or alone, i prefer alone but a cherry cav is pretty good

Yea I had a bowl these past 2 days, I believe its the Lane brand, it was sold as Black Cavendish at RJ outlet in Smithfield in the tobacco/cigar shop, out of the bulk jar.

Problem was its sticky moist I loaded the calabash up 3 days ago charred it tamped it down and set the pipe aside and didn't smoke it till yesterday and finished the bowl today,

It was pleasant, good flavor, quite mild to me.

After reading about moisture producing heat and foul taste, I been doing that routine with the aros and found they provide a much better smoke,

Never tried it straight yet,mostly I smoke aromatic blends that contain it which I like. I did pick up a tin of mature Va to try that had no cavendish in it at all, I like that a great deal. the only other thing I had that didn't have it was sir walter raleigh which I did not like.

Playing a second or even third fiddle to VA or perique it's heavenly. I haven't ever had the chance to smoke it straight though, so I cannot comment on that. I also like a small tad in with some burley to give the nuttines a little sweet kick. For me it's a teaking agent like latakia, oriental, and perique. Though I certainly won't stop anyone from doing or smoking what they enjoy, to each his own!

I like aromatic blends.....it is the majority of what I smoke. The other good thing about them is that they rarely offend anyone. I was once smoking a light english blend with latakia and my wife said....what are you smoking in that thing...dogs**t?

Black Cavendish is a fine smoke. Much like food you can’t live with on one type. Well, that is the way I view it.