Anyone else into Black Cavendish?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my experience with Cavendish has been in so called "Danish" blends, which seemed too OTT sweet and cloying.

OK, so that was many years ago before I took my pipe hiatus for about 10 years. Been back for a couple years now and need to revisit my likes and dislikes more thoughtfully. Many tastes I once had that many years ago may or may not apply today. So I'll go forward with an open mind. (How's that for a pc opening? LOL!)

I've also realised that Cav plays a role in several of the blends that I like right now, namely GLP Haddos Delight (unsweetened) and Peterson Old Dublin. So it seems that Cav does play a role in my present preferences.

While the former several examples probably don't show Cav in a forward role, when used as a condimental tobac and not as a flavor foward addition I have a much easier time dealing with it.

In general, overly sweet (or shall I say unnaturally sweet) blends are like anathema to me. Some of my memory of sweetened Black Cav and Danish blends clearly derives from this.

As always, YMMV.

Smoke what you like my brothers . It's all good.

Cheers,

RR

used sparingly as a condiment, it's fine for me--cavendish is used in many blends--i tried BCA straight once--wouldn't make a habit of that--

i really like a Good Burley, salted with just a bit of BCA and Latakia--gives it a slightly sweet smokey flavor--if that's an ARO (and i guess it is) i must plead guilty--

Just got a pouch of Black Cav as an extra from a recent 'baccy order. Normally I'd gift this away to an aromatic piper, yet the aroma is quite beguiling.....somewhat like sweet molasses.

I've one pipe that I use exclusively for the very occasional aromatic and will give this a whirl just for the fun of it. Who knows, it may become a guilty pleasure!

Cheers,

RR

I have a small pouch of Black Cav on hand to put at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I like layering a non-aromatic on top of it, finishing sweet (like dessert). I've been scoffed at by pipe smokers for being so uncouth. So, I like it, it has its uses, but a full bowl? Gets kind of unidimensional.

Kyle Weiss":khiyttkk said:
I have a small pouch of Black Cav on hand to put at the bottom of the bowl. Sometimes I like layering a non-aromatic on top of it, finishing sweet (like dessert). I've been scoffed at by pipe smokers for being so uncouth. So, I like it, it has its uses, but a full bowl? Gets kind of unidimensional.
many times uncouth is good--if it works, do it--

whitebriar":xga8dl6y said:
Kyle Weiss":xga8dl6y said:
many times uncouth is good--if it works, do it--
Yep! :)

forsooth":354axr91 said:
By "Black Cavendish," are you referring to Lane's BC-A? If so, I really like it. I also like McClelland's Vanilla Black
A man after my own heart, I'm smoking Lane's BC-A right now, I buy it by the pound from Cup O Joe's. I always keep 2oz of McClelland's VBC around just incase I run out of the Lane's BC-A, to keep me going until my order arrives. My tobacconist stocks the McClellands so it's always there when I need it.

Have you ever tried Black Velvet? I don't remember who makes but I got it at my local Tinder Box which sells McClelland tobacco almost exclusively so I would assume it's one of their's. I could be wrong.

I like Lane's "Black Cavendish" blend, the "100% fire cured...team sweated" variety. I don't know if that's the same as their BCA or not. I would say it's my fifth-favorite tobacco at the moment, and actually it was at Number One for a few months, until I found four that I liked better not too long ago.