Anyone ever hear of this pipe maker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score

The Country Squire says he's from Atlanta and they sell out of his pipes quickly. Some I really like especially the two on the left.

Probably just some guy doing it in his spare time. Lotta dudes like that.

His work isn't my cup of tea...they seem amateurish in approach and finish. Are they expensive? Do they pass a cleaner and seem drilled properly?

If you like 'em, they're cheap, and at least well-drilled, might give the guy some practice to make more.

8)

I agree with Kyle. These look pretty amateur. They all appear to have preform factory stems on them and I can even see the molding flash on one of them. I'd steer clear.

Well, I see what you guys mean. I just saw them when I was there the other day. Didn't see the price as I was on my way out the door. I'll talk to the guys that work there and see if there is more to them than meets the eye.

Just be sure to inspect them carefully, and ask questions of the carver if you can. Check tobacco chamber for cracks/blemishes that could burn out later. Bring a medium-width pipe cleaner or ask for one. If it doesn't pass from button to bowl through the draft hole, either due to improper drilling at the shank, because it's too narrow, or because of molding bits not removed from the stem, pass on the pipe. I wouldn't pay more than $40 - $50. Hopefully it isn't someone's uncle or something; inspection/questions could get awkward. So, obviously, ask how they know the carver first. :)

8)

I saw some pipes about like that at an antique store a while back. They were in a glass case so I asked to look at them.

The price tags had $300-$400 on them. I about choked. I told her I thought maybe she was asking a little much for some poorly made unknown maker's work. Her eyes burned holes through me as she informed me her late husband was the carver.

Oops. :oops:

As functional, for-smoking-more-than-looking-at briars, how cheap can you get any new one for these days that's worth having ? If these measure up in the basics, are reasonably inexpensive and new pipes are the approach you want to take, it looks like there's a reason why they're popular. Even if they need a bit of user tweakage.

:cat: :face: :study:

I think the second one down on the right still has that line down the side of the molded stem that the maker never filed down smooth to blend in with the rest of the stem. They look like kit pipes to me.

tyler":751twk4g said:
I saw some pipes about like that at an antique store a while back. They were in a glass case so I asked to look at them.

The price tags had $300-$400 on them. I about choked. I told her I thought maybe she was asking a little much for some poorly made unknown maker's work. Her eyes burned holes through me as she informed me her late husband was the carver.

Awkward....

Yak":tiamkua8 said:
As functional, for-smoking-more-than-looking-at briars, how cheap can you get any new one for these days that's worth having ? :study:
Stanwell, $85 +/- :) you get functional and worthy of admiring.

tyler":grhgbev9 said:

Ouch. :pale: Then again, people wrap up emotions a bit too often in commerce like that, so...she kind of opened herself up to it. If she were that attached or prone to offense, why is she selling them (at a massive mark-up, to boot)? Her idea of worth is of her husband's work likely won't be the same as the public. :lol:

I'd hate to have that happen at a B&M where I frequent, but could shrug off just a vendor who has random stuff I might only visit once a year.

8)