Anyone ever tin tobacco themselves?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultraman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been buying and cellaring a lot of tobacco lately and was wondering if anyone had ever tried tinning their bulk blends?

I don't even know if it's possible on a small scale, but thought it would be neat to research.

Greetings all! I have been packing and sealing my own tins for a couple of years now. Mostly just to store my own hybrid blend I make. I do use a smaller tin to give a sample away now and then to friends. I use a food grade round tin that is listed as an 8 ounce tin and is perfect to hold 50 grams. I don't vacuum seal or pack it any tighter than is necessary to fit. The company I deal with has no minimum order, and has heat shrink sleeves to fit any of their products. The sleeves only come in packs of 250, but that will last me for quite a while. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

I use organic bleach free drip coffee filters for the paper lining.

2asprins":s2le3pqh said:
Greetings all! I have been packing and sealing my own tins for a couple of years now. Mostly just to store my own hybrid blend I make. I do use a smaller tin to give a sample away now and then to friends. I use a food grade round tin that is listed as an 8 ounce tin and is perfect to hold 50 grams. I don't vacuum seal or pack it any tighter than is necessary to fit. The company I deal with has no minimum order, and has heat shrink sleeves to fit any of their products. The sleeves only come in packs of 250, but that will last me for quite a while. Here is the link if you are interested:

Been thinking about this for a year now......... COOOOOOOL
Thanks for sharing 2Asprins! Great!

Glad to help out! I use the plain pop on type and the shrink sleeves. It works out best for me, but there is a good selection of different types that may work as well for others.

2asprins:

Thanks for the link. I've seen those in the past, but did not try them because was uncertain about long term storage. How tight is the seal? Do they close hermetically? How does the seal hold after 2 years? I'm asking because those tins look like what C&D used to tin their blends in some years ago. Even with the heat-shrink ring, the seal was very poor...

Piet Binsbergen":szx7v0vr said:
2asprins":szx7v0vr said:

Been thinking about this for a year now......... COOOOOOOL
Thanks for sharing 2Asprins! Great!
Great links and info Brothers.. Such a joy to learn new things.. I will build my stock up as I go.. This will help.. Just did my first blend.. Sounds crazy but I did a 50/50 blend with Prince Albert and Captain Black Gold.. I must find a good local tobacco shop soon :D
This was my first smoke of PA and I really enjoyed its smooth sweet taste.. So much to learn with Burly.. I shall store it for a time to marry and see what comes of it.. Making Tins for storage such a grand idea...
Chuck..

So crazy! I was pondering this very thing earlier today. It would be great to find a good tin to store bulk blends in. The mason jars work well, but tins would be great for gifting, etc. along with storing smaller amounts.

TallSmoke":x5jq7u04 said:
So crazy! I was pondering this very thing earlier today. It would be great to find a good tin to store bulk blends in. The mason jars work well, but tins would be great for gifting, etc. along with storing smaller amounts.
Same here. I've wondered if vacuum sealing like the production tins is possible at home. I like the idea of tins much better than mason jars. With a 2 1/2 year old in the house non-breakable is a BIIIIG plus.....

Piet Binsbergen":zqw0s5mz said:
Cool, lets start the BOB tobacco tin enterprise???
:cheers: :cheers:
I volunteer my services to run the Quality Assurance Dept. It may be long hours, but I'm dedicated! :lol!:

Greetings Wet Dottle,
you wrote:

2asprins:

Thanks for the link. I've seen those in the past, but did not try them because was uncertain about long term storage. How tight is the seal? Do they close hermetically? How does the seal hold after 2 years? I'm asking because those tins look like what C&D used to tin their blends in some years ago. Even with the heat-shrink ring, the seal was very poor...
Let's see, I don't think I have been able to keep them longer than 2 years as friends keep buying them up from me. (Just for what I have invested in it at the time) But from what I've seen and heard, and tasted, I don't think anything was lost, such as taste or moisture. The shrink seal winds up being about a half inch over the top and bottom when shrank, and if done gently with a heat gun goes pretty tight and hard. The plastic is pretty thick and has a perferrated line for easy open. I never tried it but I would assume just some clear tape around the edge would make it airtight for sure, then shrink wrap the band around it afterwards. I do have the very first tin I made, well, a lady friend has the very first tin, from about 3 years ago. I don't think I would be able to talk her into opening it yet as I'm not around to try it. As soon as I can get to South Carolina, I'll try it and let you know.
Which may be another year or so. The can seems to seal fairly well, as far as that type of can will. They do make a screw top which may seal better, I haven't tried it yet as I didn't really plan on long term storage....until now, after talking with all you out there. Seems like a pretty good plan now. I think I'll get started on that this weekend.

Just as an afterthought, you can keep the can slightly loose and heat it up a tad with the heat gun, you don't have to go crazy with the heat, just hot enough to expand the air inside a bit and seep out. Then close quickly, put the shrink band on, heat that snug. When it cools there should be a bit of a vaccuum inside trapped by the shrink band. That band is really tough to open without a knife or using (finding) the perferated strip.