Anyone familiar with W.O. Larsens?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
Any thoughts on them? Like them, love them, don't like, hate? Why?

I have my eye on one that I really like and may eventually pull the trigger, I believe the particular carver was Benni Jorgensen, who I also know next to nothing about.

Usually I am not too concerned with names or brands unless they have a flat out bad rep, I'm just looking for general input from anyone who has or does own one or more. I don't hear many folks say much about Larsens or Benni as much as other brands and carvers...maybe I just run in the wrong circles or something.

If you hang around pipe boards/smoke shops long enough you will find that opinions raise and fall in cycle concerning pipe brands...

I hate to make the connection but, pipes are almost like stocks... When they are in favor they get ridiculous high prices.. When they are out of favor they get ridiculous low prices..

W.O. Larson makes fine pipes.. Benni makes fine pipes... If you like them its best to buy as many as you want before you show your hand.. Otherwise you end up cutting your own throat on the prices.

I've had a couple including a Pearl cut by Jess Chonowitsch. The better cuts are gorgeous pipes with interesting shapes. I just threw in the towel on vulcanite stemmed pipes and concentrate almost exclusively on Castello and other Italian makers now, and on Stanwell. I have some body chemistry thing with vulcanite, can taste it, gives off a mild irritation after a while too. Kept just a couple vulcanite stemmed pipes only cuz I don't want to let them go even though I seldom smoke them. The Larsens I sold were among the hardest to let go of, and when I see them I still lust after them. You could do a lot worse, go for it!

I've owned and smoked Larsen's for a couple of decades. For a while, they were my brand of choice. They smoke well and are beautifully made. I have owned the top and bottom of the brand, and much in between, and was never disappointed. They also age gracefully, I find, looking just as good later as they did earlier.

Wiley

A couple of years ago I purchased a Larsen sandblasted bent brandy from Smokingpipes.com. Esthetically, the proportions are a bit unbalanced; the stem and shank seem a bit thin next to the huge bowl. Perhaps this was why the price was so reasonable.
It was an estate, and had been reamed back to wood with just a few black places in the bowl. The first few smokes tasted a bit strange, but it quickly re-established itself as a great smoke. I've never owned a new Larsen, but if this pipe is any indication I'd think they would be a great investment in smoking pleasure.
wol111.jpg
[/url][/img]

Larsens are all over the board as far as quality goes. You can buy models for less than seventy bucks and spend up to several thousand bucks for a Pearl. Stamped straightgrains accend in quality from 1-10. This system has no rhyme nor reason wahtsoever! I've seen and owned gorgeously grained #3's and almost poorly grained #7's. The factory's pay receipts would read as a virtual "who's who" of Danish pipe makers. At one time it seems that EVERYONE has worked for them. I would steer way clear of their cheaper models. A Danish made Stanwell rivals them in fit, finish and smoking qualities.

I have owned many but kept just three. One would be that Jess Chonowitsch Pearl billiard that Jim mentioned. I find most to be overly heavy in weight. Their value also seems to go waaaay up and waaaay down. They have this in common with the Barling pipe in my opinion. One day they're hot and one day they're not.

Here's pics of mine:

CellarPics008.jpg

NewPipePix9016.jpg

MorePixs016.jpg

Arghhh...your making me jealous. Lol.

The one I was eyeing up was a Straightgrain "5". I really loved the shape and it looked to be in good condition, but I passed based on financial considerations. I do appreciate the help though fellas, and may pick one up if I come across another that catches my eye.