Anyone gotten sick from mold or "plume"?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
I smoked some aged FVF last night that had been sealed for 5 years that had a little bit of mold/ plume on it. It was pretty good, no ill effects.

I don't want to rehash the mold vs plume debate here but was curious if anyone has smoked some tobacco with one or the other and then gotten sick from it? Did you get a sore throat or a bad sinus infection? What symptoms would one look for?

Don't think I ever had an instance of a pipe weed getting moldy, but if it truly was I'd discard it immediately and never smoke it.

Plume is another matter, and is sugar crystals coming to the surface. While some of it might look like mold, using a magnifying glass will reveal if it has spores or a "hairy" appearance. If so then it's mold.

Cheers,

RR

I totally agree with Brewdude

Plume when magnified looks like sugar crystals. But for any reason you have doubt and it's possibly mold...dump it in the nearest garbage pale. Mold can get into your lungs and spread quickly. You can become seriously ill and hospitalized. Since ALL the FVF issues have been posted in recent months I decided to open all of my tins and check the situation. All was fine, none of the seals failed due to small dents from dropping the tins. So I put all the contents of the tins in four Mason jars. The BIG issue with FVF was the bulk box version if ya'll remember correctly.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I made the mistake of loading a pipe during a power outage once.it was a pouch of Native American Spirit Kinnikinnick It had gone solid white mold. Very nearly ended up in the ER having anaphylaxis. Fortunately I had an epipen and lots of antihistamines on hand. Its not a mistake I ever want to make again.

Jim