Anyone here ever made pickled peppers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yup, serious question!

Just was gifted with a couple lbs of fresh Jalapenos. While I can eat them raw along with a meal it might be good to put some up in a pickling jar. Never done this before.

Yes I can go to the 'net for this, but does anyone here with experience have a good recipe? I'll want to get these pickled in the next day or so while they're still fresh.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

I'd like to know too, Brewdude. I can pickles and green beans every year. I grow banana peppers every year too but haven't found a recipe I like yet.

Here's mine, from my grandmother in law. Very yummy but the flatulence is impressive. This is for a smallish batch add another tin of tomatoes if you're making a lot. No quantities as I never received them. It turns out different each time but always yummo.

Pickled Chillies

Oil
Onion
Garlic
Chilli
Tin toms
Brown sugar
Balsamic vinegar
Sweet chilli sauce

Cook onion & garlic
Add rest and cook hot for ten minutes then simmer till thick

Be careful or Peter Piper will come and pick a peck of your pickled peppers and leave you with none.

Timbo":v6xnp1rt said:
Here's mine, from my grandmother in law. Very yummy but the flatulence is impressive. This is for a smallish batch add another tin of tomatoes if you're making a lot. No quantities as I never received them. It turns out different each time but always yummo.

Pickled Chillies

Oil
Onion
Garlic
Chilli
Tin toms
Brown sugar
Balsamic vinegar
Sweet chilli sauce

Cook onion & garlic
Add rest and cook hot for ten minutes then simmer till thick
Timbo, any idea of the amounts of the above ingredients? I've never pickled anything so have no idea where to start.

So do you make this concoction first and then pack the chilies into jars with it?

Cheers,

RR

BD, I've done a good bit of pickling, so here's what I can share.

I will say, though, at the outset, that you can do basically anything you want to the pickling liquid depending on your tastes. This is the super-basic, no-frills brining recipe I use that will give you pretty average pickles. If you like them more tart, increase the vinegar in the ration, more sweet, play with the salt:sugar ratio, etc. Not to mention you can always try different vinegars, different sugars, and add pretty much any spice/seasoning under the sun.

I'd really encourage you to play around with it a bit - I know you've only got this one big batch of jalapenos to work with, but if you decide you like the process (even if these peppers don't turn out perfect), it's worth it to experiment. As a brewer, I'm sure you are already seeing the appeal of of the tweaking, tinkering, experimenting end of this.

As to the brine:

I don't really worry about "how much total liquid per ounce/pound/megaton of veggie." I just make a batch of the brine, fill a mason jar with the veggie of choice, pour the brine in until it's about half an inch from the top, seal, and wait. I usually make more brine than I think I'll need - either I have WAY too much left over and it's an excuse to pickle an extra jar, or I have just enough left over to use as a funky marinade (I'm not in love with the stuff, but my wife has become a HUGE fan of "pickle chicken.").

Recipe:

1:1 ratio of water-to-vinegar.
----any vinegar can work except balsamic. I guess it could but I've always had trouble. White vinegar works fine, but it doesn't add much other than the general tang. I usually use wine (red, white, or rice) or apple cider vinegar.

6:1 ratio of total liquid to sugar
----sort of. Liquid and dry volume measures aren't the same, but for the sake of memory I just thing in generic "cups" for this one. So if you've got 2 cups of water and 2 cups of vinegar you'd need a cup of sugar (4 cups liquid:1/2 cup dry). White vs. brown sugar is up to you - it's more a matter of which you think would work better with the vinegar/spices of your choosing. You can also get crazy and try honey (not molasses though...that's a trainwreck, trust me).

Between 8:1 and 4:1 sugar to salt.
----totally depends on taste. The salt is necessary for the to brine properly, so don't go too low. Otherwise, adjust completely based on your personal tastes.

Herbs/Spices
----can't really help you here. This is all a matter of taste.

Note: EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE RATIOS can be adjusted to taste.

Basic steps:
1. Slice all veggies (if you plan to slice them)
2. Heat all liquids, salt, and sugar in a saucepan until it's steaming and just about to boil, stirring to help the solids dissolve.
3. While liquid heats, separate veggies into canning jars (sterilized if at all possible), leaving just a bit of room at the top. If you're using mason jars, you can fill all the way up to where the neck starts.
4. Pour hot liquid over veggies. Don't fill to the top of the very top of the jar, but enough to cover the veggies with room to spare.
5. Add herbs/spices over top (you can also split the herbs/spices and put some on the bottom of the jar as well to help with distributon).
6. Put the lid on and shake lightly, long enough to distribute the herbs/spices.

Storage:
1. For "fridge pickles," just keep the lid on, let them cool to room temp and fridge 'em. Give them at least 3 days (5 is better. Veggie that are unsliced and have thick skins - like whole baby cukes - will naturally take a little longer) before eating. They'll last a few months in the fridge.

2. For "cellar pickles," you'll need to fill a pot with water enough that it the water level comes up about 90% the height of the jar. Boil pickles with lid on for 10 minutes. Turn of heat. CAREFULLY remove jars using tongs or whatever tool you've got, remove lids (pot holder, the lids are damn hot too), and return the jars to the hot water and led soak for another 10 minutes. Remove, relid, let cool overnight on the counter. Stick 'em a way in a cool, dark place and let them sit at least a month before opening. These will last a year or more.

Moral of the story: making small batches to use relatively soon, save yourself the hassle and use the first method. If you decide to pickle in bulk for the long-term, the second batch is a bit more tedious but it will be shelf stable for longer.

Now, here's the answer to the question you actually wanted:

If it were me, I'd try the following for Jalepenos, bearing in mind that I prefer my pickles to be tart and not very sweet at all. I also like things pretty damn spicy and can't get enough garlic. Keep in mind I have no idea how much total liquid would be needed for the amount of peppers you have, so keep in mind that you may very well need MORE liquid than what this recipe provides. If so, keep the ratios in mind more than the volume of each ingredient.

Produce
--Jalapenos. I'd slice them into coins/rings.
--Garlic. Thickly sliced. To my taste, at least a clove for every jar of peppers you pickle.

Liquid
--2 Cups Water
--1 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
--1 Cup White Vinegar
--1/2 Cup White Sugar (this is below the ratio above. I want some sugar, yeah, but with jalapenos I want to cut out a lot of it)
--1.5 Tbsp Kosher Salt

Spices
--Red Pepper Flakes, to taste.
--Cumin, to taste
--Black Peppercorns, 4-5 per jar
--Bay Leaves, one small or 1/2 large leaf per jar
--Keep in mind "to taste" means a lot less than you think. This stuff is going to soak for a while...the cumin will essentially dissolve into the liquid so you want it in low concentration or it's all you'll taste. The RP flakes will infuse into the liquid, so easy on that too. I'd say if you were going to saute the peppers in cumin and red pepper flake, use about 1/4 or less of the amount you'd use in the saute pan.

Then just slice the peppers/garlic and stick 'em in the jars, heat the liquid (dissolving the salt/sugar as you go), pour over the jarred veggies, add the spices, put the lid on and shake lightly to distribute. Then fridge or cellar them as you see fit.

Holy smokes...that's post was way to long.

If you want to read all of the ramblings, step-by-step, and personal commentary, by all means pour a drink and read it all. If you just want my suggested recipe, skip to the emboldened headings.

SORRY!!!!!

Anyone... ever made pickled peppers? Now there's something you don't read on the BoB every day! Hope you find what you're looking for Rande!

Hi BD, just realised the recipe I gave is more for a chilli pickle rather pickled chilli. I'd go with Bowman's recipe if your after storing large amounts as mine is for a few small jars of chilli pickle that's great on chicken and various preparations of pig.

Cheers

Tim

Ian

Your direction is precisely what I was looking for. :D

I'm very grateful you took the time to type all that. It certainly gives me the kind of information I need to get off the ground on my first batch of pickling. I'll be sure to bear all that in mind, and also understand that it's like anything gustatory - one's own interpretation is the driving force. At the same time one has to have a jumping off point, and that's what this provides me with.

Timbo, I rather suspected it wasn't a recipe for pickled peppers. But thanks just the same mate. If anything it'll give me a direction after I try out Ian's recipe. ;)

Good stuff gents, and keep the intel coming!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Rande mate Idbowman pretty much covered the bases there. But I'll throw out my recipes for picked jalapeños anyway.

Texas style jalapeños

25 jalapeño peppers
1 qt vinegar of your choice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp peppercorns
2/3c oil of choice
Bay leaves
Garlic cloves
Onions
Carrots

Slit peppers open on one side. Combine 2c vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns in saucepan. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Pour over peppers in a large bowl. Add oil and remaining vinegar. Remove peppers and pack in hot sterile jars. Add 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves garlic 1 sliced onion and one carrot julienned to each quart jar. Pour hot vinegar mixture over peppers and seal. Let sit 3-5 days before eating.

Hope it helps

Jim

Jim, I've never tried oil in the actual pickling liquid before. Do you use a certain kind (veg, olive, etc)? Have you tried without using oil so that you know what it's doing for the final product? I'd be interested in trying that out sometime, I just don't know what I should expect!

Ian, not really sure what the purpose of the oil is. It seems to be strictly a Texas thing and only with peppers as far as I can tell. This particular recipe was old when we got it in the 70's. We were told any oil will do depending on what you have and your personal tastes. I actually haven't tried it without the oil before. My guess is that its to duplicate the pickled jalapenos you buy from the store. Some of those as I recall from back then had an oily liquid in them.

huffelpuff":jx5j5a56 said:
Rande mate Idbowman pretty much covered the bases there. But I'll throw out my recipes for picked jalapeños anyway.

Texas style jalapeños

25 jalapeño peppers
1 qt vinegar of your choice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp peppercorns
2/3c oil of choice
Bay leaves
Garlic cloves
Onions
Carrots

Slit peppers open on one side. Combine 2c vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns in saucepan. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Pour over peppers in a large bowl. Add oil and remaining vinegar. Remove peppers and pack in hot sterile jars. Add 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves garlic 1 sliced onion and one carrot julienned to each quart jar. Pour hot vinegar mixture over peppers and seal. Let sit 3-5 days before eating.

Hope it helps

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll add this to the list and lyk how it turns out.

Good to see you posting here again amigo!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Those pickling recipes are great. I have, however taken to smoking them with cherry wood and then bagging and storing them, kinda Chipotle' style... She Who Must Not Be Named is getting bent regarding the use of the canning jars for, well, shall we say, other vegetation..............

LMAO wizard! Smoked rocks my world too so I'd have no problem there.

Rande, glad to be back mate. Hopefully I can stay healthy for awhile

Jim

OK, so I made them today.

Divvied up the peppers into 4 pint mason jars. Added about 15 peppercorns, sliced yellow onion, and 2 cloves of thick sliced garlic to each jar.

Then took 1 quart of cider vinegar and 1 quart of water and heated it. Dissolved a tsp sugar and salt and brought to just under a boil. Topped up the jars with this leaving a little head space. Shook the jars and left to cool to room temp before refrigerating.

I intentionally kept the sugar and salt on the low side. Being hypertensive, I don't really need any more salt in my diet and I'm not much for sweets. I figured it would be enough to add just enough background flavor. Or not.

I'll check out the first jar in a week to see if they need more soak time. I've never pickled anything before and am not much of a cook so this is a new adventure.

Oh, and here's the kind of peppers I was using and are the long skinny kind. They were grown by one of the brewery partners, and he had a bumper crop so gave me a huge supply which I shared with my brewery production employees.

00655.jpg

I've been eating them raw with my supper and the heat ranges from mild/med - hot. Pretty tasty!

Thanks for the recipes Ian and Jim.

Cheers,

RR

Slice one side of them, fill them with cream cheese, bread and batter them and fry them up..

Great with blackberry jam

Update:

Opened one of the jars last night. Had great expectations but....

Not really any pickling character at all and it's been 2 weeks. The peppers were nice and crisp but hadn't taken on any sour character. Bummer.

Guess I'll leave them for another month or so and revisit. And if it's unchanged I might opt for a different pickling solution - dump out what I have and add something else. What, I don't know right now.

Disappointing!

:no: 

Cheers?

RR