Anyone smoke a Parker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first is my favorite of them.  :heart: 

VERY nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:face:

Thanks guy's
Yeh the first is my favorite too Yak, picture doesn't really show how great the blast is on the pipe, it's a life time keeper that's for sure :)

Bother Dean of Estatepipeshop, your "tinkering with the airway" gave me an idea.

As I've mentioned, my two "modern" Parkers did not smoke nice at all. So I checked out the shank airways and found them to be narrower than what I prefer. My way of checking is to see if a folded pipe cleaner can be pushed through without effort. Both pipes failed this test.

So, I've opened them up just now and Hello!! I've got two new pipes!! They've been sitting in my rack for a number of years. Time for the buggers to start earning a living!

I thank you bro' Dean  :D  :cheers: 

Hi Pete,
I increased the depth of the tenon drill-out by 5mm, opened the airway up to 4mm from 3.5mm then counter-sunk the drilled hole tenon side to take the sharp drilled edge off, pipe smoked lovely but for some reason just felt like it couldn't breath also think it helped with the slight moisture build up it used to get on first 1/3 of a bowl, but that could of also been down to me breaking it in very methodically.

Excellent you got them parkers fired up and working on all cylinders, surely there must be someone in the factory smoking these pipes and thinking hmmm this would smoke better if we altered this or that ,think they work to there old weights and measures charts sometimes and are reluctant to shift

Dean

There's some fine textures on those pipes estatepipeshop.  Stunning. Thank you for sharing.

I've been organising my piperack tonight when I realized that one of my Stanwell pipes was missing.  I found it in a tupperware bucket I always use when I go away for a weekend.

But....I also found another Parker! This is a "new generation" Parker in bent bulldog shape and one excellent smoker. So not all of them are so-so.

For anyone looking for NOS Parkers, AELLOYDGIFTS on eBay has got lots of them. New, in their boxes and at fair Buy It Now prices. Geniune stuff.

I'm in no ways related to the seller.

Great purchases Pete. I especially like the saddle stem jobber, as my preference is for a billiard bowl. You got the bull dog at a breeze though!

I've just been admiring your pipes on your website Dean.  Whilst I'm a sucker for a billiard, I'm loving that Mastro de Paja; really is a stunning piece. I see you're based in Pembroke too which is not a million miles away from me. I was there in the summer sea kayaking near St Davids. Beautiful part of the world...

Thanks stick
sorry for late reply have had a hectic week ,the paja is stunning it came into my possession very well looked after some slight rim darkening i had to attend to but overall was mint, believe it or not I have sold half a dozen mastro de paja's & have yet to smoke one (shame on me) but I am told a good one is quite an experience, one day soon :)
I work from home Stick with workshop on site if ever you want to view any of my stock or maybe make a purchase by all means call in I make a great coffee as well

Dean

Thanks Dean.  I often swing by your www and drool for a while!  That MdP has still got me by the short and curlies!  It'd be great to swing by and see you in person too. Not sure when I'm down next, but I'll certainly make a detour to take you up on that offer of a coffee.  Must be great having your workshop as part of your home; I'd love to be able to use my hands to create something special once in a while.  Keep working your magic Dean and hope to catch up soon...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321333937151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_660wt_1172

I received this pipe yesterday.  This is the dirtiest pipe I've ever seen.  I believe the previous owner smoked it for years without ever cleaning it  :evil:   I had to use a drill bit to clean the shank. Took me hours to get it smokable.

But this is a champion !! I just can't put it down. And it liked every tobacco I've fed it so far. The whole pipe is in excellent condition and I will take some more time to refurbish it completely

This is the biggest bargain in pipes I've ever bought.

I'm a happy chappie  :cheers:

Stick":2wd51m8l said:
Great find Pete. Did you manage to get that gap closed?
@Stick, if you are talking about the hole in the stem, yes I managed to repair it but that's on a different Parker which I bought on the same day as this one.

This here pipe was a real cheapie and so dirty, I can't believe that someone could still smoke it. I'm smoking it now but there is still some muck coming out, everytime I push a pipecleaner through it. But, even so, the pipe is a super smoker already. It can only get better as I remove the layers of oil or whatever it is.

Hi Pete. I was referring to the union between the stem and the shank. Looks a little open? Either way, sounds like you've landed yourself a corker...

Stick":k4lry881 said:
Hi Pete. I was referring to the union between the stem and the shank. Looks a little open? Either way, sounds like you've landed yourself a corker...
Oh! I'm sorry  :oops:  I first want to get the pipe 100% smokable before I go into finer detail. But, the gap isn't to big and all I have to do is take a bit off the tenon. I would like to take my time doing that because I don't want to ruin the old beast!

SpeedyPete":is59gv1q said:
Stick":is59gv1q said:
Oh! I'm sorry  :oops:   I first want to get the pipe 100% smokable before I go into finer detail.  But, the gap isn't to big and all I have to do is take a bit off the tenon. I would like to take my time doing that because I don't want to ruin the old beast!
You may find that there is just gunk build up within the mortise so clean it up well and it may fix it's self without removing any length of the tenon.  ;) 

Cartaphilus":cduzzb1n said:
SpeedyPete":cduzzb1n said:
Stick":cduzzb1n said:
Oh! I'm sorry  :oops:   I first want to get the pipe 100% smokable before I go into finer detail.  But, the gap isn't to big and all I have to do is take a bit off the tenon. I would like to take my time doing that because I don't want to ruin the old beast!
You may find that there is just gunk build up within the mortise so clean it up well and it may fix it's self without removing any length of the tenon.  ;) 
Spot on! The problem was where the tenon enters the mortise and not inside the mortise itself. I've cleaned it out there and the gap is gone :D 

I thank you, my bro'  :cheers: