Anyone stocking up on certain MacBaren tins?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pylorns

Reaction score
Now that they are discontinuing some of their line - whose stocking up?

What are they cutting? Do you have a list? MacBaren has always been a hard brand to sample through. I usually love the flavour but can't take the dreaded MacBite!

BLB is one of the world's great Burleys. I'll pick up a little more of it for posterity.

Ocelot55":6nuk8eeg said:
What are they cutting? Do you have a list?
I can't post a link because I haven't been a member long enough... but if you go to sutliff's website and go to the MacBaren section you'll see the list - here is what I pulled out of it:

Burley Blend
HH Highland Blend
HH Mature Virginia
Honey and Chocolate
Navy Mixture
Norwood

pylorns":qg7au80s said:
I can't post a link because I haven't been a member long enough...
I cannot see anything about this that can be modified by an Admin. I can only assume it's done by Forumotion to reduce spammers.

Carlos":x9287yl6 said:
pylorns":x9287yl6 said:
I can't post a link because I haven't been a member long enough...
I cannot see anything about this that can be modified by an Admin.  I can only assume it's done by Forumotion to reduce spammers.
Yep, whenever I put a link in a post it says I have to be a member for 7 days.

Just took a quick glance at Mac Barens web site, products like Burley London Blend still listed. Maybe just a US import issue? Is Suttliff the US importer for Mac Baren now?

Puff Daddy":4dr5kewb said:
Just took a quick glance at Mac Barens web site, products like Burley London Blend still listed. Maybe just a US import issue? Is Suttliff the US importer for Mac Baren now?
As I understand it, all discontinued blends will be available until they are gone. You can still buy em, they just will not be making any more.

Where was the announcement from Mac Baren about this? It seems odd that the Mac Baren website doesn't show the blends as discontinued, or make mention about it. The show the blends along with all the others.

I haven't seen any actual announcement. Just had seen others discussing it.

It'll sting a little if stocks of Mature Virginia dry up and aren't replenished in the States. Kind of surprised to Honey and Chocolate on the list, though...not my thing, but it seems to be somewhat popular among aro smokers.

I guess the disappearance of BLB wouldn't be cataclysmic as long as Golden Extra and Symphony are still available. I'll probably just try a tin of HH Mature Virginia. So far Capstan Original has been the only Va from MacBaren that I like enough to cellar.

I bought 14 oz of 20 y/o VA #1 last spring at the Raleigh pipe show. When I tried it the bite was severe, as in a half-dozen puffs and I put the pipe down with a resounding thwack. . .

Of those listed as being discontinued, I'm surprised to see Burley London Blend and HH Mature Virginia on the list.

As others mentioned, Mac Baren has a couple other decent burley blends to cover the loss of the BLB, but IMHO, the HH MV is unique; I have 2 pounds of MV in the cellar and it will be difficult, if not impossible to replace once it's gone.

I happen to like the chocolate and honey blend, so I've stocked up on the tins.

rothnh":8anrkpsz said:
Of those listed as being discontinued, I'm surprised to see Burley London Blend and HH Mature Virginia on the list.
BLB has 130 reviews on tobaccoreviews.com
MV has 93

A lot of people are smoking these two blends.

As long as Old Dark Fired isn't on the list I have the only Mac Baren blend I need.