Anyone use a pipe lighter insert for a Zippo?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recently purchased one of each (butane and traditional) inserts to see which I like better. Will test them out today. One thing I already see with the butane is there is no flame adjustment and it has a pretty big flame.View attachment 13751
I’ve had good luck with the original zippo insert. I just picked up the butane version but haven’t tried it yet. My only initial complaint is I have one “armored” zippo case that the butane insert is loose in. So loose, in fact, that it turned upside down, it will almost entirely fall out. The original lighter fluid insert works fine.

Either way, I look forward to trying the butane version. Seems like a good option.

I’ve had good luck with the original zippo insert. I just picked up the butane version but haven’t tried it yet. My only initial complaint is I have one “armored” zippo case that the butane insert is loose in. So loose, in fact, that it turned upside down, it will almost entirely fall out. The original lighter fluid insert works fine.

Either way, I look forward to trying the butane version. Seems like a good option.

Try putting a shim along side of the lighter insert when you put the two parts together. You’ll find a width where the friction disallows them falling apart. Maybe like a paper matchbook cover or a cut piece of paper towel or toilet paper core?

Try putting a shim along side of the lighter insert when you put the two parts together. You’ll find a width where the friction disallows them falling apart. Maybe like a paper matchbook cover or a cut piece of paper towel or toilet paper core?
That’s a good idea, I’ll have to try a piece of matchbox. I imagine that would be a good thickness to do the trick.

I use a butane insert for some of my zippo lighters; the brand is Z-Pipe and I got them from Pipes & Cigars. They don't hold much fuel though and have to be refilled frequently.

I’ve had 2 of the butane inserts and both stopped working after very little use. The regular insert works well and is cheap on eBay. That’s my choice if there’s any breeze at all.

I like them both. Thought the flame would be too big with the butane but it is not. I can smell the fluid on the traditional one but it's not too bad

I began my pipe adventure in the early 1960s and never did find a lighter I liked or could even tolerate for very long. I use wooden matches which impart no flavor foreign to the tobacco. When possible (not often), I use tongs to lift a glowing ember from a fire and set it on the top of the tobacco, leaving it there for the entire smoke. There is just nothing like it.