Apply a file?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fazby

Reaction score
The buttons on the stems of a couple of pipes are a little thicker than I prefer. I assume filing it down will work.

Anything I should know before I try this? (Yes, I am asking BEFORE I try it.)

Thanks!

Yes you can file them to shape and then do a little fine sanding and polishing. It's no big deal, the biggest issue would be shining them back up if you don't have a buffing wheel.

Sasquatch":et41di99 said:
Yes you can file them to shape and then do a little fine sanding and polishing. It's no big deal, the biggest issue would be shining them back up if you don't have a buffing wheel.
Ditto that!!

Craps... originally thought this was about computers.... couldn't see any file to open and when I pushed the button, my screen went blank on the monitor... :evil:

Slow Puffs":i21ukx3p said:
Craps... originally thought this was about computers.... couldn't see any file to open and when I pushed the button, my screen went blank on the monitor... :evil:
On form I see SP!!! :lol!:

Advice passed along from the guy who taught me blackpowder gunsmithing : Every tool you see in this shop is for taking it off.

There aren't any for putting it back on again after you've gone too far.

:face:

Yak":yi6ajl3u said:
Advice passed along from the guy who taught me blackpowder gunsmithing : Every tool you see in this shop is for taking it off.

This.

Shaving/shaping stems is simplicity itself, conceptually, but tricky in practice. Most pipe carvers and repairmen make hundreds before producing something truly good.

If you have calipers, use them. Don't go any thinner than .155" behind the button for vulcanite, and .160 for acrylic, and put something in the draft hole like a toothpick or length of white plastic rod to keep track of where the airway is. Many are NOT centered vertically when new.

Unless you have lots of specialty tools and experience, the end result won't look like much, either, though it could well be more comfortable to clench. If that's your only goal, have at it. Just go slow and check OFTEN. If you expect to produce a bite zone and button that looks "factory made" on your first try, fugeddaboudit.

"No tools to put it back on" Great saying. Thanks for that. I am sure there are many carpenters wishing for a board stretcher.

"Fuggetabout it" I just want a comfortable smoke. Warned by "No tools" I will take care. It is just the button I want to thin.

Thanks folks!

Pete

Worked great! I used a crosscut file and took light strokes. Looks like a mere scuff as I probably took off a sixteenth of an inch overall. Will probably have toothmarks camouflaging it in no time.

The problem was that the button was almost (exaggeration) a diamond shape. I filed it down to a flat oval and it fits my mouth now. (For this reason I do not like Peterson's with P-lips.)

Thanks!

Yak":udiwho7l said:
BUT I've already cut it twice, and it's STILL TOO SHORT!

That's cuz you are supposed to MEASURE twice, and cut once.

That's cuz you are supposed to MEASURE twice, and cut once.