Arduino digital hygrometer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So, I guess this goes in here; it could probably go into the DIY or Round Table sections also, but I'll start with it here.

Being an IT guy, I'm crazy enough to want to go home and do more when I get off work. I have a Raspberry Pi model 2 that I tinker around with(it makes a good emulator, I play Super Nintendo games on it), but I like functionality. Recently, I picked up a 16 character by 2 row LCD screen, compatible with all of the little computers, and an Arduino Micro. On top of this, I have some digital thermometer/hygrometer sensors laying around. With a spark of inspiration, I'm about 2 hours and 30 dollars into building myself a real-time, self contained digital hygrometer!

The code was SUPER easy; if any of you have ever used the Arduino IDE, it's a total breeze to work your way around. Declare what libraries you need to use, and away you go.

Right now, I have everything running on a breadboard, but am currently soldering in connectors and wires onto a much smaller prototyping board, as a proof of concept. Once I can get some smaller boards, and really get my soldering/wiring down, I'll start making them into an even smaller package.

I'll put pics up soon, and if anyone is interested in possibly making their own, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Eventually, for larger humidors, I'd like to include the functionality that when the humidity drops below a certain point, to turn on a micro humidifier, and once it rises above a certain point to shut off, but that's for later. :D

I've been busy, and I don't have any pictures, but I soldered together a prototype hygrometer about two days after my original post that seems to work pretty well! I'm looking at making a much smaller one, cleaning up my code a bit, and eventually getting custom PCB's printed(I have all of the Gerber schematics for them). If I'm right, I should be able to get this thing down to about the size of the screen, and about as thick as the components stacked, which isn't that thick at all. If I had access to a 3D printer, I'd try to make a custom case for it, but I don't have any access right now to such things. Maybe in the future :)

All in all, it looks like I can make a custom, handmade hygrometer and be competitive with the Xikar level ones as far as price. I'll keep perfecting it and see how it goes!

It takes real talent in a number of areas to put everything together and cover all bases along the way. Congrats to you my friend!

This sounds like the kind of thing monbla would be interested in, for keeping his pipe tobacco and cigars dialed in at the perfect humidity! :)

Thank you all!

I might bug Monbla about it, I'm on standby to order some custom PCB, so I can make the whole shebang as small as the screen. I'll have to wait until all of my trips are done, but I think it'll work well all in all.

Here's to hoping!

After some minor revisions, I've ordered some custom PCB for the monsters, so I don't have to solder all the tiny wires together. Only thing is, after reviewing the schematics, it seems I've made a minor mistake and will have to redo the diagrams and resend the info in to my company. On the bright side, they're SUPER fast (I'm looking at a little over 8 days from initial order submission to receiving the PCB), and if I post lots of nice reviews about their stuff I'll probably get a coupon that'll cover the cost of my goof.

Since I've got a pretty decent idea of the price of raw materials down, and how much work it'll take to put them together, would anyone be interested in one? I don't have cases for them, but I could work with some folks on making some (be it out of wood or possibly injection-molded/3D printed), if people were interested.

I'm looking at staying competitive with some of the nicer digital hygrometers out there, and I can customize a specific one for someone (say, if you don't want temperature, we don't have to have that reading, or you can have a custom message flash up on the screen, or a specific LCD screen color.....).

Once I get the right PCB, and am able to put together and test that board, I think I'll be ready to go for this. Anyone interested?

Just a side note for anyone interested in making/designing their own PCB - it's kind of funky to do, and it's easy to overlook things. Be careful!