Are new BALL jars clean?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeofbluz

Reaction score
If you have ever wondered if new BALL jars are clean or not, I did a test at work.
I am a SQF Practitioner (Safe Quality Foods), I test machines to make sure they are clean for Milk production.

What I am looking for here is RLU units, it has to be under 1000 to pass the bacteria test.

379958840.jpg

379958777.jpg

379958785.jpg

379958799.jpg

379958806.jpg

379958815.jpg

379958825.jpg

379958869.jpg

379958837.jpg

379958849.jpg

something to compare
379958891.jpg

379958899.jpg

Jeffrey

I'd imagine they are required to sterilize them to the 'food grade' standards shown in your test because they are intended for food storage.

Very interesting test, something that a lot of us have been wondering about,,,,

Gonna give my mouse a bourbon cleansing after seeing those results,,, :D

mark":rqrcrfxw said:
Very interesting test, something that a lot of us have been wondering about,,,,

Gonna give my mouse a bourbon cleansing after seeing those results,,, :D
Think I'll give me a bourbon cleaning and I won't worry about the mouse. :twisted:

That is good to know being I've been lazy and jarred some stuff without sanitizing the jars before. :oops:

Thanks for doing this test. I had wondered if they needed to be sterilized before filling with baccy. Gald to know my wet paper towel wipe down method is good enough.

Actually the 'wet paper towel' would mess the jar up, well at least as far as this test goes.

I suppose you're right. What's the best way then, just throw the baccy in and screw the lid on? I liked wiping them down just in case there's any factory residue in the. I've heard some people have found shards of glass in brand new jars.

What an informative experiment. Thanks for doing it! As a matter of course I normally run new jars through the dishwasher so as to remove the 'new jar smell' before using them, but have never thought of it as a sterilization technique (i.e., the dishwasher is not an autoclave). When reusing jars, they go through the dishwasher (including the bands and lids) as well, but again more for removing odors than anything else.

I am glad the test came out clean - when I saw the post i was wondering if I had a "hundred jar emergency" on my hands - nice to know it's all safe and sound

Nice to have a biologist in the brotherhood :)

I really don't know Shadrack..

Personally I just toss the baccy in.. I figure the less I do the less chance there is for me to screw it up. It's worked so far.

I've been wiping with alcohol before jarring (made a thread about it a month or so ago), but I don't think I'll even do that anymore after seeing this, provided they are new jars.

Yeah, he shows testing the lids and the jars,,,,pretty amazing results huh ???

There are no true absolutes in nature, there are bacteria in everything, actually we need this bacteria for the aging process, I never wash new jars, only jelly jars to get most of the jelly out before using! :D :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

pipetongue1":asc0raiv said:
most of the jelly out!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Now that's a thought, Grape Dark Flake, Strawberry Irish XX, Blueberry Cumberland. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

puros_bran":r7yu79p5 said:
pipetongue1":r7yu79p5 said:
most of the jelly out!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Now that's a thought, Grape Dark Flake, Strawberry Irish XX, Blueberry Cumberland. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Or....pickled beets Sam Gawith Squadron Leader. :shock: