Are there items I can use to cool the smoke intake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
Hi, folks --

I'm evidently a naturally "faster" pipe smoker, and I'm paying the price with some discomfort later in the day or evening.

Are there items that can be used to cool the smoke a bit?

I'm smoking some (basically) aromatics (I believe -- Boswell's "sweet and mild," "Boswell's best", etc.)

Thanks!

Some may tell you that filters or a churchwarden or a meer or something will give you a cooler smoke, but really the best thing for your pipe, your tobacco, your tongue and your enjoyment of smoking is probably going to be to learn to smoke it at a slower pace. It may also behoove you to try less aromaticy and more well behaved tobaccos. Probably not what you want to hear, but also probably true. Lol.

Thank you. Problem is, I'm busy solving the world's problems as I smoke. Lots to think about.

Are bents cooler than the straights -- in general?

And, to be specific, there are no "devices" to place in the floor of the bowl that are designed to allow the smoke to be cooler? Just a thought.

Cheers.

Frost":uvkehja9 said:
Some may tell you that filters or a churchwarden or a meer or something will give you a cooler smoke, but really the best thing for your pipe, your tobacco, your tongue and your enjoyment of smoking is probably going to be to learn to smoke it at a slower pace. It may also behoove you to try less aromaticy and more well behaved tobaccos. Probably not what you want to hear, but also probably true. Lol.
Frost speaks the truth!

Fast puffing rate in addition to an aromatic blend were the culprits behind many poor smoking experiences for me. High heat, moisture and steam can't be controlled with any artificial "device", as far as I know.

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate it. I've only recently started.

Pretty sure I have never heard of any cooling "devices", but truthfully I have not been at it all that long either.

As far as bent vs straights, some bent pipes have a sort of "well" incorporated into the drilling designed to trap moisture and supposedly provide a dryer and therefore cooler smoke (Peterson system pipes). My personal experience has been that flavor tends to come through a little more directly and "clearer" on straighter pipes, and I am of the opinion that the fewer disturbances there are in the airway the better.

Other pipes make use of filters of various sorts to trap moisture and filter the smoke, with the same desired effect (example-savinelli). Meerschaum pipes apparently sort of have a similar effect due to the nature of the material, but I've no experience with 'em.

Truth be told though, I suspect that regardless of pipe and/or contraption usage, "proper" smoking technique will likely yield a more pleasurable smoke than any fancy widgets. It does take time to develop tho. I myself am just starting to feel like I can get a consistent and reliably good smoke out of any given pipe on any given day, and can occasionally get an amazing smoke out of a few of my pipes and experience a few select tobaccos to their full potential.

Man, I sure can be wordy sometimes. Apologies for the long-windedness. Or long fingeredness. Or whatever...lol.

"Coolness" is a myth. The smokestream's temperature isn't the problem, Ph is. (the acid/base balance you learned about in high school chemistry).

The reason most new(er) smokers experience tongue bite is from frequently relighting (because they haven't learned to pack the bowl optimally yet), and puffing too hard when the tobacco IS lit, thinking that's how to keep it from going out.

There's also a bit of tongue adaptation that occurs over time. Lower sensitivity, essentially.

Forget cooling devices and take extra time to be sure the bowl is filled evenly---and most important---not too tight. The rest will follow naturally.

Frost and LL --

Thanks very much for the good instructions and tips. There is a lot to learn (and unlearn) in this simple venture. Starting with tomorrow's first bowl, I'm going to be more attentive to good packing and slower, more thoughtful smoking.

However, I've already begun to show signs of yet another problem: pipe buying! Oh, well...

Regards!

I have read of things that could be placed in the bottom of the bowl, but these were all to alleviate moisture problems...nothing that "cools" the smoke.

The best lesson I can impart to you concerning pipe smoking is to force yourself to "sip" the smoke, everything else will come with experience.

Well, there is always the Peterson system, which is such a device as you are describing. It does exactly what they say it will do. But there's no reason why you should NEED the system if you develop your smoking technique.

I would say that "tongue bite" is a term that means different things to different people. The PH level is one thing, which LL referred to, and that is unavoidable if a certain blend doesn't mesh with your chemistry. But as a new smoker your tongue will just not be used to all the smoke it is barraged with. I don't know if it gets dried out from all the smoke or what, but if you smoke more than a bowl or two a day and are not accustomed to doing so you will develop a bit of a pipe tongue, which will ruin your sense of taste for a few days. You will adjust, though.

Hey there-

There have been good comments so far.

My thoughts:

Getting good at packing and smoking slowly will help for sure but unfortunately tounge bite happens especially if you´re new to the pipe. In general it is just traumatic to sensitive nerves and the mucous membranes in the mouth, throat, and nose.

Probably the biggest factor is heat. Don´t puff so hard that you can´t hold the bowl. It might feel that it just ain´t on fire, but that´s where the flavor is! Really wet tobcco is harder to keep lit and will make matters worse. Lot´s of OTC aromatics are ribbon cut which makes it easier to keep lit. That means it´ll get very hot quickly. The spot where it feels like it´s going to go out because you can´t feel the heat is where you want to be.

Packing is directly related to this. If the tobacco is really tight, you´ll have to puff all the harder to keep it lit. Practice filling the bowl a little looser. As you light it, it will expand and you can tamp it down. If you feel there is resistance to the draw, it is too tight. There is a "right balance" where the flavor is intense but it´s not too hot. Practice!

I've been working on the packing and the puffing rate and I think I'm getting better. :)

As for the Peterson, well, guess what? I have picked up a used Peterson that dates from the early 80's, with the "system" and in pretty good shape. It is a bent model and so far it has been a good smoker!

Thanks, again, everyone for the help and advice!

Very interesting posts. But the more I smoke pipes the more I tend to think that tongue bites has to do more with the properties of the tobacco that with the techniques of smoking. Yes, sure you can always get sore throat if you smoke to fast in a cold weather, but tongue bites seems to be a different issue.

I enjoy the entire ritual, from choosing from the tobacco, then loading the bowl, lighting the match then the tobacco, to after the smoke preparing the pipe for rest,

BUT, Tongue bite is the "poke in the eye" part of enjoying pipe smoking, Like a bad hangover, makes you question was the experience "worth it".

So before I get off track in response to this post, in my search trying to get a cool more enjoyable smoke I ran across this article. here is a clip from the article.

"Filling the pipe carefully to ensure a smooth and easy draw and smoking it slowly to keep it from becoming overheated are also requisites for an excellent smoke. Furthermore, lighting your pipe carefully and evenly and a judicious use of your tamper are also most important. But make no mistake about it: the perfectly even flow of sufficient oxygen through the entire bore is the foundation of a great-smoking pipe. With the easy draw throughout the opened air hole, the pipe can be smoked cooler with less effort, because it will stay lit without the necessity for heavy puffing."

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure

Hope this was helpfull and not a repete already posted

R.A.