Are You A Pipe Collector or A Pipe Smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a collector and a smoker of the briar. If it was feasible, I would own way too many pipes. I own over 30 right now. If I had not sold as I bought, however, I would own near 70. It seems I will be cutting down my collection to 18-20 pipes as well. As you can see, I enjoy collecting, but it just has not become feasible in my current situation (engaged seminary student seeking ordination). I'm afraid God has other things in mind than my collection.

Bah...no need to speak for God. If He objecs to your pipe collection your house will just burn down is all. No need to take drastic preparatory action! :lol!:

I have a pretty much universal statement that I use for things that have some collectible value but started as "tools" of some sort. Started with guns...I cant afford to have anything I don't shoot. Pipes I cant afford to own any that I don't smoke.

Sure I buy pipes that I think look good, but they're getting bought to be smoked not sit on a shelf. If they look good on the process that's just bonus.

PipeLeisure":2knivjet said:
I buy pipes to smoke but I also classify myself as a collector.
I could say I feel the same way. I mean I have 5 pipes now. Do I really need 5...no. Do I need more...no. Will I buy more....yes lol

While I don't own any pipes I don't smoke, I probably am a collector of sorts, but it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, collecting certain shapes, or even collecting a certain style. To me it's all about finding the ultimate tool for smoking tobacco.

I'll definitely be getting more pipes, though! :D

Ocelot55":774fsauj said:
While I don't own any pipes I don't smoke, I probably am a collector of sorts, but it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, collecting certain shapes, or even collecting a certain style. To me it's all about finding the ultimate tool for smoking tobacco.

I'll definitely be getting more pipes, though! :D
I'm always looking for the next great smoker, but I have to admit I definitely gravitate towards certain shapes that I like and some brands to a lesser extent

Somehow I just saw this thread, even though its already 9 pages long...

Anyway, I definitely view myself as a pipe smoker. I consider myself lucky to have only ever purchased a new pipe when TAD has gotten so out of control that more pipes were necessary. Not to say I haven't ever thought to myself "damn that's a great lookin' pipe...I wish I could take it home," or that I don't appreciate the artistry behind pipe-making, but for me, this hobby is more about the leaf than it is about the what you smoke it in. Not that I've ruled out the idea of collecting pipes one day (especially bulldogs and rhodies), but for now its a matter of function.

Though I stated previously that if I own it, I smoke it, with over 80+ pipes to choose from, I guess many would classify them as a "collection' given the quantity I've aquired. :p I can understand a grouping of rare, antique briar/meerschaum pipes as being objects to "have" and not smoke for sure. When it comes to more contemporary pipes, post turn of the 20th century. I would not "collect" and not,not smoke any of these pipes, unless they were of some sort of historical importance, i.e. owned by a famous person or event. But even if I could afford some of the current "collectable Artisan" pipes, I would , sadly and to the horror of some, smoke the hell out of 'em !! If it were thought that the pipe was "to valuable" to smoke, as some of these are considered, they ceased being a pipe to me and would certainly not have a place in my "collection" :p But, as is said: "... to each his own" :)

monbla256":vq7x2in5 said:
I would not "collect" and not,not smoke any of these pipes, unless they were of some sort of historical importance, i.e. owned by a famous person or event.
Maybe, but think about how cool it would be to smoke that pipe. I think I could resist.

To me to have a pipe and not smoke it. Would be like having a Corvette and not driving it. Its not going to happen. Zoom zoom. :roll:

I guess my answer is, Yes!

I happen to be collecting the pipes I am smoking, or something like that..lol

I buy them to smoke. If I were going to get a piece of briar for art I'd get it without a bowl in it because I wouldn't be able to control the temptation to smoke it. :twisted:

I think I responded somewhere in line a while back, but having made some new realizations, I thought I'd repost. :p

While I don't own any pipes that I don't smoke, I think I sit a bit more in the collector category. Here's why: When it comes to this pipe smoking hobby, I pay a lot more attention to the pipes than to the tobacco. That's just where my focus is. I love good tobacco, but discussing it is less interesting to me than discussing the body of an artisan's work, a specific line on a pipe, or a composition as a whole. I constantly seek out pipes, but have a tendency to only pursue tobacco that I've heard about being great or is produced by a company that I trust rather than buying a bunch of stuff to try. Samples, however, are always welcome. ;)

So... I think at this point it's safe to call myself a pipe collector who smokes his pipes. :pirat:

UberHuberMan":xgbt56ea said:
While I don't own any pipes that I don't smoke, I think I sit a bit more in the collector category. Here's why: When it comes to this pipe smoking hobby, I pay a lot more attention to the pipes than to the tobacco. That's just where my focus is. I love good tobacco, but discussing it is less interesting to me than discussing the body of an artisan's work, a specific line on a pipe, or a composition as a whole. I constantly seek out pipes, but have a tendency to only pursue tobacco that I've heard about being great or is produced by a company that I trust rather than buying a bunch of stuff to try. Samples, however, are always welcome. ;):pirat:
This