Are you eccentric?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I read somewhere that many pipe smokers are eccentric.

Do your family members consider you eccentric?

Do your friends or co-workers consider you eccentric?

Do you think of yourself as eccentric?

From a Wikipedia article on the matter:

Characteristics of an eccentric, by Psychologist Dr. David Weeks:

* Nonconforming attitude Check
* Creative Check
* Intense curiosity Check
* Idealistic Check
* Happy obsession with a hobby or hobbies Check
* Known very early in his or her childhood they were different from others Check
* Highly intelligent Eye of the beholder there.
* Opinionated and outspoken Check
* Unusual living or eating habits Check (Egg sandwiches with grape jelly and mayonnaise, anyone?)
* Not interested in the opinions or company of others Error.
* Mischievous sense of humor Check! (I love scaring my co-workers)
* Single Error. Married with children.
* Usually the eldest or an only child Error. Youngest of 5.

10 out of 13? Maybe I am eccentric? My wife says I am, and my co-workers probably would. Me? I don't know. It's a nice thought, though.

TallSmoke":8b11stka said:
From a Wikipedia article on the matter:

Characteristics of an eccentric, by Psychologist Dr. David Weeks:
* Nonconforming attitude Check
I don't watch American Idol and I definitely am not part of the status quo that voted for Obama.

* Creative Check
Marginal.

* Intense curiosity Check
Most definely!

* Idealistic Check
Absolutely!

* Happy obsession with a hobby or hobbies Check
Absolutely again! Smoking pipes, fishing and golfing when I can.

* Known very early in his or her childhood they were different from others Check
So I was always told by my family. The black sheep if you will!

* Highly intelligent Eye of the beholder there.
Who would ever pass that judgment upon themselves?!

* Opinionated and outspoken Check
That goes without saying!

* Unusual living or eating habits Check (Egg sandwiches with grape jelly and mayonnaise, anyone?)
So I've been told and reminded of by my wife on a regular basis. Hey, I'll eat or at least try most anything!

* Not interested in the opinions or company of others Error.
Not! I love to hear other folks stories. It pays to be a good listener. Most just can't do it without passing judgement.

* Mischievous sense of humor Check! (I love scaring my co-workers)
Definitely!

* Single Error. Married with children.
Nope! I'm married, though my wife might question it as she is always complaining about my independent nature.

* Usually the eldest or an only child Error. Youngest of 5.
I am the eldest.

10 out of 13? Maybe I am eccentric? My wife says I am, and my co-workers probably would. Me? I don't know. It's a nice thought, though.
I was declared eccentric a long time ago!

So that's what they call it now ?

I always figured I was normal and the rest of the world was nuts.

Haven't seen much in 62 years to convince me otherwise.

:face:

I was always told that regular people were crazy, you had to be rich to be eccentric. 8)

I've been told that I have a rebelious attitude,I'm too vocal,and I'm not a team player.Does that qualify me?

Nonconforming attitude – I agree with Mark Twain, see signature.

Creative – Love to draw, design and make furniture and jewelry.

Intense curiosity – I read about everything that catches my interest.

Idealistic – In a perfect world…

Happy obsession with a hobby or hobbies – I’ll run with a hobby until I’ve read everything that can be found on it, then I get bored and start anew. Cooking is a great hobby, no matter how much one learns there is always something new.

Known very early in his or her childhood they were different from others – As soon as I started school.

Highly intelligent – My IQ was well above average in school.

Opinionated and outspoken – Only people who don’t agree with my view would say that of me.

Unusual living or eating habits – Painted my last apartment midnight blue with black trim and had a 400 piece butcher equipment/cutlery collection on the walls of the living room.

Not interested in the opinions or company of others – I can tolerate most anyone for about an hour.

Mischievous sense of humor – One of my favorite jokes… take about two feet of toilet paper, hold a can of brown “Streaks and Tips” (colored hair spray) upside down and spray it into the wadded up toilet paper, the idea is to get some color and a lot of hair spray, fold the toilet paper so a white piece is on top, add a bit of 3M automatic transfer tape and set it down where someone will step on it. They walk around trailing two feet of what looks like used toilet paper stuck to their shoe.

Single – I was 44 before getting married and have no children.

Usually the eldest or an only child – I am the eldest of two.

yes, yes i am. and i am willing to be most of us are or else we would not be here.

The bumper sticker reading "@#$ YEAH I'M WEIRD" says it all for me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PB-wmOYelnM" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to that list I am absolutely. Not so sure it's apparent on the surface though so I'm a closet eccentric.

No, but my 146 cats are!!!! :D
Just kidding, only two Chihuahuas who think they ARE cats :p

Alright I admit it. Can we form a support group? Oh, I forgot! We already have one. It's called "Brothers of Briar" :roll:

Once again I agree with Tweed. You have to be rich to be eccentric, so I'm just crazy.

Went on vacation a grumpy disillusioned American and apparently came back as a slightly rebellious Canadian.

Eccentric and darn proud of it! Personally, I can't see how "normal" people enjoy life at all. Most of the "normal" people I know are unhappy with their lives. When I'm around friends/relatives who would be classified as normal I feel drained and want to escape lol.