aromatic choice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*camoham

Reaction score
well, i had a brief introduction, previously.

ive been tempted by a myriad of choices that are available today.

thinking about.

mac baren- Mixture, Navy, & Vanilla flakes

Peterson- De Luxe mixture, Sweet killarney, & University Flake.

Boswell- Christmas Cookie & Boswell's Best

Cornell & Diehl- Autumn Evening.

as mentioned, i currently favor capt black white/regular. the town i live in surprisingly has some petersons, savenelli's, and bjarnes available for purchase but no quality tobaccos available.

the one exception would be the local italian market that sells stokkebye tobacs (optimum, nougat, french vanilla, peaches & creme, natural, etc). ive found that no matter how i pack or how carefull i am..........these do not agree with me. the newer peterson ive purchased makes them tolerable, but im thinking i shouldnt have to settle for tolerable.

so, knowing opinions differ as well as tastes.......................

which ones would you recommend and why.

what ever my final choices are they will be comming via internet sales due to the previously menitioned predicament.

thanks.

camoham

MacBaren Vanilla Flake, Boswell Christmas Cookie, and Sweet Killarney

as those are the ones from your list that I am familiar with and think suit the desires of an aromatic smoker, while still providing quality tobacco - all three are favorites of mine and I am not much of an aro smoker

some from your list are not aro's (navy and university) by the way - both good baccy's though :)

Navy Flake is topped with Honey and maybe rum, University with a sort of Blueberry essence. Technically both aromatic. But not of the typical "black cavendish and flavor x" danish style, perhaps.

Agree with Gand however on the tobacco selection given what you like and are looking for.

Not surprised about the Navy flake I guess - but the University being flavored with blueberry is pretty interesting - I have a few tins of this but haven't tried it yet. Will be cracking one of those tins shortly, as the curiosity is killing me...

I am presently really enjoying the 2010 Peterson Special Reserve and I am not typically an aromatic smoker. Good stuff though.

yep,

im aware that the navy and university are not 'typical' aro's.............but what i consider by description 'borderline'. (dont want to start a debate about that one)

gandalf...........got tins of university waiting to be cracked?...............thanks for the torture.

will flake fly in a pete 314.............or is that considered too thin walled? ill have to throw it in another i guess if needed.

thanks all for the opinions and learned advice.

camoham

The two blends I smoke the most are HPCS Adirondack "Trout Stream" blend and Pipeworks & Wilke #191.

What I consider great aromatics. Great room note for the wife, delicious taste with that "sweet spot" and very good overall flavor in a mild tobacco.

You can smoke flake in whatever pipe you like. The thickness of the walls of a pipe are basically irrelevant except that a very thin pipe will feel hotter in the hand that much sooner than a real bunker pipe will.

Mac Baren Navy Flake is a terrific introduction to flakes because it is very beautifully manufactured, and smokes just wonderfully almost no mater what you do to pack it.

The Mac Baren website has a packing technique well documented -

foldnstuff

Very forgiving tobacco for a newer flake smoker (as compared to McClelland or Gawith Flakes, for example).

University Flake is really weird - strong burley/virgina with this weird/deep fruity topping. Not my bag, baby!

AUTUMN EVENING is my do all end all aromatic tobacco. I don't smoke aromatics at all except for this one superb blend. It was one of the first tobaccos that I purchased and still remains in my rotation.

Tennessee Dave":q34dtsu1 said:
I am presently really enjoying the 2010 Peterson Special Reserve and I am not typically an aromatic smoker. Good stuff though.
Ditto
Uni Flake
MacB Navy flake......... one of the few MacBaren blends with no bite! Fresh up it was good, a couple of years in cellar and it will sing!!!

I've got three favorites in the aromatic realm.
Bear in mind that I like some sweetness in my tobacco, but NOT any sort of cherry flavor.

Also, a good aromatic will actually smoke and taste like it smells.
These three fit the bill:

1. Trout Stream from pipesandcigars.com. This is the best I've had- hands down.

2. WO Larsen edition 2010

3. Morning Coffee by Just For Him.

Of those you've mentioned - Peterson Sweet Killarney & UF & Macbaren Navy Flake would be my aro recommendations. Peterson make good aro's.

The following are the ones that have impressed me as quality aros (i.e., not cheap casing to conceal the taste of cheap tobacco, but rather subtly aromatized quality tobacco blends). Most need some air and drying time prior to smoking.

1. SG Celtic Talisman - the only cherry aro I've ever liked.

2. Dan's Blue Note

3. W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned

4. Sillems Black (with some time in the jar)

Classic Burley Kake from pipesandcigars.com is the one I keep reaching for. Butternut Burley, same source, is nice as well.

Amen to Larsen's Old Fashioned, too.

Peterson special reserve 2009 and John Aylesbury - the pipesmoker's edition nr.1 are some of my favoutite aro's

I'm rather fond of SG Firedance...Working my through a tin right now. You get a pretty good taste of black berry at the start of the bowl that fades pretty quickly. The remaining smoke is really mellow.

My favorite aromatic by far is A C Petersen's Mark Twain. Smokes like a natural, but with a pleasant taste and room note. I've smoked a pipe around my wife for 40 years and this is the only one she has actually complemented on the aroma.

*camoham":593cxn3s said:
aromatic choice, which ones would you recommend and why. camoham
Esoterica (2):
St. Ives-Dark and Golden Virginias are blended with Black Virginia Cavendish and portions of Greek, Oriental, and Cyprian Latakia tobaccos.
(incredibly mild, cool, and absolutely non-biting!)rS
Enhanced with a subtly scented fruit extract. An aromatic English.
............................................... and
Hastings-Five types of Virginia tobacco and an equal proportion of Black Virginia Cavendish with an added aromatic essence.

Tinderbox Reserve 1928- Red Virginia, Orange Virginia, Virginia Flake, and a touch of Burley. (from McClelland)

Butternut Burley, Classic Burley Kake, and Peterson Luxury Blend. All three are my go to blends.