Aromatic Pipe Tobacco Blend recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmen84

Reaction score
so  I was wondering if yall could recommend[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aromatic[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pipe[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tobacco[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Blends  Right now Im smoking a vanilla and butterscotch  blend.  Trying to stay away from the harsh stuff meaning what Evers in Fm cellar  its got a bit of a bite .  Keep in mind Im new to pipe smokin[/font]

university flake? it's got some aromatic going on but a pretty good natural tobacco as well. try it!

Some tobaccos certainly smoke hotter than others.  But, I am guessing the one you have should be one of the cooler tobaccos.  I can't swear that is the case but I'll lay odds.

There are a lot of ways to pack a pipe and you can find how argued endlessly.  The thing that is an agreed wrong is overpacking.  Dense packing adds heat.  Many recommend a three stage pack.  Maybe later.  Try just gently filling the pipe while trying to keep it even as a continuous process.  When you start to feel resistance, stop.  If you did it right, it should light (after the false light) easily.

Draw is bringing in air through the pipe.  The common comment is to sip instead of puff. If you were a cigarette smoker you drew a lot in each time to send it to the lungs.  Pipe smoke stays in the mouth and small draws bring more flavor than you get from cigarettes.  Concentrate on itty-bitty pulls which mellows the temp in the bowl.

I'm not usually am Aromatic smoker though I do have two that you might find to your liking. One is Low Country's Santee, a nice light Va based aro with an apple casing which is not overpowering and theVa's add asweetness that no sugar flavoring can. It has a nice room note, appleish and does not bite even though it is a golden Va based blend. It is sold by smokingpipes.com and I keep a tin of it on hand for "those" times I want an aro. Another good one I like, (recommended by the Aro-King here) is Milonga, another Va based Aro that has a vanilla oriented topping but once again, the Va's that are it's base add the sweetness. Those are two I HAVE SMOKED and would recommend :twisted:

Boswell's have a large variety of aromatic tobacco blends that are their own  blends.  Many people on this forum have recommended them for aromatic lovers.  I have only tried one, No Bite Delite, and I liked it a lot.

There are so many really great aromatic pipe tobaccos available.
Check out these websites:
uhles.com
milantobacco.com
ljperetti.com
boswellpipes.com
pipesandcigars.com
vtpipes.com
Then look at tobaccoreviews.com to read people's opinions of various tobaccos.  See what sounds good to you, then pick up a couple aromatics from any of those websites.

Ulhes are next on my baccy hitlist

Boswells make great aromatics

Peretti makes a great lat blend I tried but I haven't sampled their aros

Never tried Milano or vt pipes

pipesandcigars has a couple of ok aros but the only one that stands out to me is meat candy which is rather unique, and it has more body than your typical aro, but ya gotta like maple

To add to this:

Pipeworks and Wilke make some fantastic aromatics, and I recommend them right alongside of Boswells, although their aros are quite different

4noggins has some unique aromatics that I can recommend. Again, the maple fan I am, but also the lover of tobacco taste, I recommend Essence of Vermont which is burley and perique

I'll 4th the Boswell's recomendation. Their great people to deal with and have a wonderful assortment of tobacco's to try. I sugest going thru their list of aro's and getting a sample pack of 6-8 to try that appeal to you. I noticed you like Vanilla's, myself i they don't agree with me but they do have a few vanilla based blends. I tend to lean towards the berry/fruit based baccy's. Whichever you choose make sure you don't pack them to tight & give them some drying time as they come a little on the moist side.

I like IRCs Three Star Blue. Mild but flavorful, the secret special ingredient is just right. And to quote an old thread that quoted an old member who has passed: "[The room note] makes the panties drop"

If you've just acquired this fetish, and insist on starting with aros, I'd suggest starting with something that is also cheap and cooperative -- I like Lane's RLP-6 better than 1Q. Wilke 191 is a super aromatic, though pricey. If you're near the start of the learning curve on packing and sipping, a premium aro  might give you more growing pains than RLP-6. Lots of pipers have started with Prince Albert and other mass market rproducts. A better idea might be to get thee to your local tobacco shoppe and get a couple ounces of a Virginia, a Burley and an English. Get to know what the basic tobacco food groups taste like -- plus learn the basic pipery skills -- and then do whatever pleases you. Good luck. Don't be in a rush.

I won't go into a big rant here, but do understand the difference between an aromatic onto which a scent/flavoring has been sprayed as the final step in the blending process...many of which have propylene glycol added to keep things moist (gurgling wet sometimes). This is 'as opposed to' a blend, often a flake format, like University Flake by Peterson, in which a scent has been incorporated along the pathway, but not just sprayed on at the end.

Know that ALL PIPE TOBACCO has had flavoring and/or sweetener added at some point in the process of being transformed from something that would likely smoke about as well as road tar into the glorious blends you know and love. If a blender claims that a product is 'all natural' - your duty as an informed pipe guy is to immediately think 'mostly natural'.

We are coming up onto the start of Summer. As you get ready for this remember that blends that smoke like a dream when it's 60 F outside may indeed turn into fire belching beasts when it's 85 F.

I've heard any number of things about what having a pipe smoke hot is due to...fast puffing, poor packing technique, high ambient temps (as mentioned above), steam (caused I guess by the moisture in the tobacco going from liquid to vapor as part of the smoke you repeatedly take into your mouth where it contacts your tongue and the roof of your mouth) and a highly alkaline content in the smoke causing a kind of chemical burn like the steam above doing the same thing via a temperature burn. And of course a combination of the above.

Given all this, do everything possible to minimize the likelihood of your pipe heating up. Such as:

1. Avoid aromatic blends...that sugar can burn hot.
2. Avoid packing your bowl tight and/or tamping your bowl too much or too heavily.
3. Avoid bowls with extra large capacity, thinking that a small fire is more easily controlled than a big one.
4. Along this line, try things that give you better control in slowing down the burn...like smoking flakes where you can adjust the burn by rubbing out more or less...like using a windscreen when outside so that little breeze doesn't act as a bellows.
5. Cobs are always a good idea. They are inexpensive...last a long, long time...if left natural on the outside they breathe better than anything out there...they absorb moisture...etc., etc., etc. Summer and cobs are a match made in, well...Missouri! lol Why burn the heck out of that expensive briar when a cob will smoke cooler and better?
6. Let's see, what else? Use a smaller bowl? I guess that's the same as #3.
7. Use some common sense, you guys can figure out this stuff.

Good luck and good puffing.