Aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewest

Reaction score
Like most, when I started pipe smoking, I smoked aromatics. Over time, I switched to mostly English and Balkan blends. Recently, I have wanted to find some good aromatics to keep around. After reading several post on the topic, I noticed two blends that seem to pop up quite frequently; Butternut Burley and Trout Stream. I purchased both and glad I did! I believe both will be in my regular rotation. Every time I'm here (daily habit now), I find some new info to progress my smoking pleasure. It seems the brothers can never steer you wrong! Thanks.

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but those are two very solid choices. I don't cellar either of them as there are other aros I like more (Autumn Evening, Classic Burley Cake, Capt. Cool) but those are very nice examples of what a high-quality aro can be. I'm glad you're enjoying them!

+1 for your choices,,,Peterson Luxury Blend is in my cabinet also

Those are my two favorite aromatic blends.

I'm looking to add 1-2 more to the mix.

If you haven't already done so please try the C&D Autumn Evening. Just be careful when you open the tin. You'll want to take a bite.

I have yet to try the two you mentioned but maybe someday. Currently about the only traditional aromatic I can stand is the first half of a bowl of Peterson's Luxury Blend. May want to give that a shot too...it's one of the better ones in my opinion.

Love Trout Stream but found the Butternut Burley as bit bland.
If you're looking for other aromatics of that same exceptional quality, don't hesitate to try some of the ones from Uhles, Vtpipes.com (pipeworks & wilke), Milan Tobacconist, or Boswell.

I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it a hundred more times before I'm done, but good golly maple street is the best aro I've ever tried! I placed another order today with fingers crossed that they'll send me another free tub of it! I can see how some people think it's too sweet, but I'm a young'in and I still like my sweets!!

Looks like Autumn Evening and Luxury Blend will be my next couple to try. Thanks Guys!

ewest":k93ua2xj said:
Looks like Autumn Evening and Luxury Blend will be my next couple to try. Thanks Guys!
Everyones taste is different, but I was not as big a proponent of Autumn Evening as I really wanted to be. If you like maple, I can recommend 3 blends.

Tobacco taste to the forefront: 4noggins's Essence of Vermont

Mmm, pancakes: McClelland's Town Topic or Pipework and Wilke's Maple Cavendish.

Outside of the Lane realm... What aromatic is closest in comparison to a BCAQ blend? Trout Stream seems like it would be similar in that it is mostly golden and black cavendish, but I'm not sure?
Thanks,
Milan

I love the Trout Stream as well, but allow me to also throw in a good word for Morning Coffee from Just For Him. Deeeeelish!

I really enjoyed Hobbit's Weed from Tewksbury and co. Really nice smoke and the room note is excellent. And being the Lord of the Rings fan that I am I had to try it :)

joeechunn":y3ardevx said:
I really enjoyed Hobbit's Weed from Tewksbury and co. Really nice smoke and the room note is excellent. And being the Lord of the Rings fan that I am I had to try it :)
Mclelland and Just 4 Him both have numerous LOTR inspired baccys as well.

Mclelland
Grey Havens
Deep Hallow
Frog Morton series

J4H
Longbottom Leaf
Treebeard
Old Toby
Shortcut to Mushrooms
Ruins of Isengard

Some of these are very well regarded too.

Sillem's Black is wonderful. It's the only aro I've found that gives me the same kind of enjoyment I get from an English or Va blend.

I have tins of Erinmore Flake and Distinguished Gentleman in the mail. I have high hopes for the Distinguished Gentleman, and as long as Erinmore Flake sates my need for a sweet, apricot-y smoke I will be happy since Stanwell let me down with Melange.

Anyone tried "Sutliff Private Stock: Molto Dolce" ?

At the TAPS expo they had some on the table as a sample it smell good so I tried a small bowl, I will be adding it to my next order.

sweet smooth, low moisture, smoked well. "I want more" sums it up

as mentioned "C&D Autum Evening" is also good, just opened a can early this week. has been the flavor of the week.

I just recieved a pound of Trout Stream from PipesandCigars. The best aromatic that I've tried since the Tenderbox's "Skilling" circa 1974. Don't bother with the current version of Skilling, it's garbage.

Heck Trout Stream smoked very clean, had real tobacco taste and smells good enough that my darling bride of 42 yrs might let me stay around a little longer. :lol: