Ash Bucket (what did you call me?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theophilus

Reaction score
So I like to smoke on my balcony, and I was tired of having to scrape my ash over the railing.

Solution: homemade pipe ash bucket with knocker.

I realize that all I needed was a bucket, but I thought a cork knocker would add a nice touch. It's just a cork knocker stuck to a piece of firewood screwed into the bottom; simple yet effective.

What do you use for an ash tray? Post pictures!

-Jonathan

Small glass mason jar (as needed), but mostly right over the rail into the backyard grass.

I dump over the side of the deck - or if my wife isn't looking - into one of the flowerpots.

I took a wide-mouthed, fairly shallow bowl (it has a former employers logo on it...I'm fairly certain it functioned as a paper clip/rubber band/odds-n-ends catch-all before I took it from the office), stuck a cork knocker in the center, and that's all she wrote!

I use one of those black and red square ceramic Dunhill ashtrays that I got years ago. No knocker as they get really cruddy looking as they are used. I just use my hand to knock the back of my pipe if I have to but rarely have anything but ash left any way so it doesn't matter. :p
Here's a pic of one:

KGrHqFh0E-iyZBHUlBPsyHZQeQ60_571-1.jpg

I use a standard glass ash tray, it doubles for when I smoke cigars. I general have it next to the arm chair in my smoking lounge.

Theo, your ash bucket is awesome. 8) That's some DIY redneck ingenuity if I ever saw any...gonna keep on the lookout for a small pail and see if I can't replicate your design. Gotta watch the rain gettin' in there when the ash gets full, or else you'll have a concrete block on your hands... :lol: Come to thinkin', though, that would be a great way to weigh it down.

Like most, though, into my flower pots (keeps the bugs on their little toes) or let the wind make off with it.

Kyle Weiss":18g5ay21 said:
...gonna keep on the lookout for a small pail and see if I can't replicate your design.
I think it was around $3 at Home Depot.

Theophilus":nd28qxvw said:
Kyle Weiss":nd28qxvw said:
...gonna keep on the lookout for a small pail and see if I can't replicate your design.
I think it was around $3 at Home Depot.
THREE BUCKS??? GEEZ! :pale: :pale: :pale: Snobs.

8)

Typically I just use cigar ashtrays. The cigar company sales reps periodically give them out at my local B&M. I have enough to last a lifetime.

Rob_In_MO":gex7bjfi said:
Standard white plastic ashtrays - you know, the cheap ones from Wally-World.

You guys and your fancy Dunhill ashtrays... Pffft - too fancy for me.
Hey, around 40 years ago, I was given it by the guy at the B&M downtown I bought from then and I've had it ever since! Besides, it went with my Dunhill 965 and Reds I smoked at the time :p

monbla256":g4hvn1bv said:
Rob_In_MO":g4hvn1bv said:
Standard white plastic ashtrays - you know, the cheap ones from Wally-World.

You guys and your fancy Dunhill ashtrays... Pffft - too fancy for me.
Hey, around 40 years ago, I was given it by the guy at the B&M downtown I bought from then and I've had it ever since! Besides, it went with my Dunhill 965 and Reds I smoked at the time :p
Can't go wrong at that price! Not to mention, a complete set. :D

I just use the long haired cat that's always on my lap whenever I stop moving. She's self-cleaning, but I have to shave a spot for the cork to stick.

I use a pair of ceramic potato bakers which had been my mom's. I claimed them when she died back in 1969, and like that they hold a lot, and being ceramic, are easy to clean.

monbla256":emyo9jvo said:
...it went with my Dunhill 965 and Reds I smoked at the time :p
DON'T TEMPT ME WITH THOSE DUNHILL REDS! Best cigarettes in the world... taste like honey.

I use a white ceramic ashtray thats made for cigars,and I knock the pipe against a cigar butt to get the ash out. I like the looks of the ash bucket though and may have to build one of my own.

Theophilus":yy36jyub said:
monbla256":yy36jyub said:
...it went with my Dunhill 965 and Reds I smoked at the time :p
DON'T TEMPT ME WITH THOSE DUNHILL REDS! Best cigarettes in the world... taste like honey.
They did taste good though there is NO good cigarette, I also at that time smoked State Express 555s and Philip Morris's English Ovals when I smoked cigs.