ashing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this place. Just when I have a problem, you guys have the answer. My Pete Bulldog smokes perfect for the first half of the bowl or just smoking a half a bowl. I finally realized that maybe it was the 1/4 in. of packed ash on top of my tobacco that was giving me a problem. Just wasn't sure if it was normal to have to ash a deep bowl or if I was doing something wrong. I've read it a lot on here before... Don't over think

skullnbones":rbugy17f said:
I love this place. Just when I have a problem, you guys have the answer. My Pete Bulldog smokes perfect for the first half of the bowl or just smoking a half a bowl. I finally realized that maybe it was the 1/4 in. of packed ash on top of my tobacco that was giving me a problem. Just wasn't sure if it was normal to have to ash a deep bowl or if I was doing something wrong. I've read it a lot on here before... Don't over think
I never dump ash and never have a problem. Sounds like you might be tamping too hard. I seldom use more than the weight of the tamper itself.

I only dump ash towards the bottom of the bowl as a last resort if it won't stay lit. I try aerating it with the tip of the spoon or poker first. That usually works. I do dump ash when I plan on DGTing also so it doesn't taint the flavor of the remaining tobacco.

It can be tough noting what you do by habit. Since I do this by habit or instinct, I won't even try to defend it; I'll just say it seems to work for me. I rarely 'ash' in the top half of the bowl (or have to tamp too often). On the bottom half, if I gently tamp, I tend to flick out any fluffy ash and if necessary gently tamp again.

I just tamp, if I have trouble lighting then i'll ash and try to light again, if still haven't probably i'll stir tamp and light. If still haven't probably I'm done.