Ashy Taste

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpkrause

Reaction score
I have been smoking Boswell's Piper's Pleasure lately. My first time smoking it was perfect. A mild flavored tobacco with a hint of chocolate and nice room note that wife did not find offensive. The next 2 times I smoked it, it had an overwhelming ash flavor. I smoked it in the same pipe. I am wondering what I did different that would cause this? The tobacco did sit in the tobacco pouch for about 36 hours. Could I have inadvertently over dried the tobacco? Does dry tobacco cause an ash-like flavor? Your input would be appreciated.

Ive only experianced an ashy flavor if I tampted the tobacco to much, I found letting the weight of the tamper press the ash down and useing it less frequently solved the problem for me.

Not sure, but if you didn't take time to swab out your bowl, and run a pipe cleaner thru your stem, you might be left with an ashy taste in your pipe.

When I first started smoking pipes, I had a limited number of them, which had me smoking multiple bowls from the same pipe, before I took time to give it a thorough cleaning. Now that I have 137 pipes, including my cobs, I never smoke more than one bowl from a pipe, before I give it a thorough cleaning. Only smoking one bowl between cleanings, solves a lot of taste, tongue bite, and moisture issues I used to experience.

The only time I've experienced that taste is when it was actually ash from smoking the very bottom of the bowl. Too much of a good thing I guess.

Drier tobacco smoked slowly actually provides more and better taste. You need to get in the habit of completely cleaning your pipe after every smoke, IMNSHO.

THIS is basically what you're going for:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JxxNvfVfDB0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had suffered this in the past, then I followed a tip, I think it was Yak had posted, to occasionally tap the ash out of the bowl when smoking. I haven't suffered an ashy taste since adopting this technique. FWIW.

Fraternally

Jers

I do clean the pipe after every use. I tried the tobacco again last night and the taste was better. I think I was just smoking to fast and drawing to hard. I also dump the ashes more often this time.

tiltjlp":qecb7a4c said:
Drier tobacco smoked slowly actually provides more and better taste. You need to get in the habit of completely cleaning your pipe after every smoke, IMNSHO.
+∞

8)

Sorry, Yakster. Drier tobacco works for me, too. It's best said that it's not "dry" tobacco, but simply drier than as moist as can possibly interfere with the taste experience...at least from my crow's nest on this ship of fools. :) Probably another YMMV thing?

8)