Astronomy and Pipe Smoking Enjoyment

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live under the flight path for Tavis AFB and where I hike is just about under where the C-5s drop their landing gear on their final approach. Before moving here my wife and I lived under a flight path of Davis-Monthan in Tucson; lots of Warthogs flew right over the house there. I used to do field work east of Yuba City and I remember watching U-2s on their return to Beale. Seems I was always near an USAFB, and I still am.

Wow, flashbacks. I was stationed at Travis AFB back in the 80s. Worked on the C-5A and mustered out just as the new C-5B's were being delivered. It was amazing watching takeoff as the plane just seem to slowly float off into the sky. Even more amazing was how much cargo these monsters could haul (270,000 lbs). Flew on them to Japan, the PI and Hawaii during my tour.

Wow, flashbacks. I was stationed at Travis AFB back in the 80s. Worked on the C-5A and mustered out just as the new C-5B's were being delivered. It was amazing watching takeoff as the plane just seem to slowly float off into the sky. Even more amazing was how much cargo these monsters could haul (270,000 lbs). Flew on them to Japan, the PI and Hawaii during my tour.

The first time I saw a C-5 was when one was coming into Davis-Monthan, and it was low! Because the plane was so huge it looked as though it was barely moving. The thought, “island in the sky” popped to mind. It was incredible!

Flew the Phantom Jet for 18 years! Was at Davis-Monthan late 1969-summer 1970. My twin girls were born in the D-M hospital. FTRPLT
Haha, nailed it! The “Flying Brick” was an awesome plane, and my first model airplane. I just watched a video by the, “Fat Electrician” on YouTube where he describes the time when a bunch of F-4s took out half of the North Korean Airforce in 13 minutes by disguising themselves as F-105 Thunder Chiefs (The THUD!).

My very good friend, Donn Sanchez, was a flight engineer on Galaxy’s out of Travis. I’ve forgotten what he flew earlier. You might have seen him there.

Flashbacks for me as well. When I worked at the Tucson airport my house was about 400 yards from the SE corner of Davis Monthan. Saw A10s every day. Got to meet some of the pilots when I went to Saudi in 90 for Desert Storm. Side note, my team and I flew to Saudi on a C5. Not my most comfortable ride, lol. I was always amazed at how many F4s were parked at DM in the bone yard.

Haha, nailed it! The “Flying Brick” was an awesome plane, and my first model airplane. I just watched a video by the, “Fat Electrician” on YouTube where he describes the time when a bunch of F-4s took out half of the North Korean Airforce in 13 minutes by disguising themselves as F-105 Thunder Chiefs (The THUD!).
Operation Bolo led by then COL. Robin Olds flying against the North Vietnamese Air Force. FTRPLT

Flashbacks for me as well. When I worked at the Tucson airport my house was about 400 yards from the SE corner of Davis Monthan. Saw A10s every day. Got to meet some of the pilots when I went to Saudi in 90 for Desert Storm. Side note, my team and I flew to Saudi on a C5. Not my most comfortable ride, lol. I was always amazed at how many F4s were parked at DM in the bone yard.
With over 5,000 produced they do take up a little space!! FTRPLT