Attn: Dunhill Experts

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CACooper

Reaction score
Greetings all,

In my never ending research of the film "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", I came across this 1947 publicity photo on Ebay and immediately purchased it. The photo captures the scene where "Bill Cole" (Melvyn Douglas) is pilfering yet another pipeful of tobacco from his friend "Jim Blandings" (Cary Grant). It is an incredibly sharp photo and probably the best view of this scene in existence.

I enlarged the tin of tobacco that Douglas is holding. It appears to me to possibly be a Dunhill "My Mixture", possibly #175. Or the number could be the price, about $19.00 in today's money. Unfortunately, the tax stamp is covering part of the label so it's hard to see, but the "ure" is visible, as is the beginning of possibly the M in "My".

Blandingspipesandtobacco001_zpsdec87a81.jpg

Blandingspipesandtobacco002_zps05bd598d.jpg

Do any of you Dunhill experts know if there is/was a My Mixture #175? I would love to solve this mystery.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

CACooper

That looks like to ME it's hand written with grease pencil, like they use to do when pricing items until the tag machines came out.

It's definitely Dunhill My Mixture. My Mixture tins were all custom blends and were given unique numbers .My understanding is that at that time all My Mixture tins used the same label and they hand wrote the blend number in, in exactly the location shown. So yes it appears to be blend 175. Now the really hard part is getting Dunhill to tell you anything about that blend.

Wish I could be more help
Jim

huffelpuff":62ry6q9u said:
It's definitely Dunhill My Mixture. My Mixture tins were all custom blends and were given unique numbers .My understanding is that at that time all My Mixture tins used the same label and they hand wrote the blend number in, in exactly the location shown. So yes it appears to be blend 175. Now the really hard part is getting Dunhill to tell you anything about that blend.

Wish I could be more help
Jim
Well Jim, I learned something more today, I would have never thought that would be the case.
Reckon it saves on printing a different label for every blend change.

Finally found a picture of a tin with a handwritten blend number.
380379E1-DADF-44DF-B4B0-9B080C7FC9E2-169-0000001B0BAF2109_zps3273a83f.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ron, I saw at least 45 numbered blends on the page Mr E linked to. I can't imagine keeping that many labels around and organized. What a nightmare!

This labeling thing is covered in this page from the Loring site on Dunhill. A link for it is in the Pipe History section here on the Forum. But that's probably difficult to search so here it is again:

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/duntobac.htm

The "universal" My Mixture labels are explained in the text.  :twisted: :twisted: