Baby food jars.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Some of you fellas have done your duty as fathers, making wee humans in your likeness, so this might be a pertinent observation...

...baby food jars. I've gone through a couple taking care of a pet of mine (she digs strained green beans) and the jars are just perfect for an ounce or so of tobacco. Mayhaps my days of countless ziploc sample baggies are over? :scratch: Perfect for a masking tape label once the original is soaked off, and they seal nicely. Normally, the lids don't stink of food.

Good re-purposing idea if anything.

8)

Kyle Weiss":nl7imk3l said:
Some of you fellas have done your duty as fathers, making wee humans in your likeness, so this might be a pertinent observation...

...baby food jars. I've gone through a couple taking care of a pet of mine (she digs strained green beans) and the jars are just perfect for an ounce or so of tobacco. Mayhaps my days of countless ziploc sample baggies are over? :scratch: Perfect for a masking tape label once the original is soaked off, and they seal nicely. Normally, the lids don't stink of food.

Good re-purposing idea if anything.

8)
Now you just need to find a flavor "you" like best so you have a reason to stock up. I'd recommend yams or apples. :p

I forget who first suggested it to me, but I got all excited, then my wife went all tree hugger on me so we're making our baby food. No supplemental baccy storage for me. :(

Although I appreciate the idea and tried it myself when my kid was a baby, I found that those jars are too narrow to insert the fingers properly to pinch the tobacco, and that they loose the seal after a short time. A very cheap alternative, and much more efficient in both regards, is to use 4 oz canning jars. They can be had for about $1 each. Mine are over 10 years old and still look like new.

But I do agree that baby jars are better than ziploc bags. :)

Dave_In_Philly":ruwsua4j said:
I forget who first suggested it to me, but I got all excited, then my wife went all tree hugger on me so we're making our baby food. No supplemental baccy storage for me. :(
Yeah my wife would make the baby food as well. She used to fill all our ice trays with strained peas, yams, apples, spinach, you name it.

Anyway, it did help our oldest daughter with the her food allergies and with eliminating all the Exorcist like vomit blasts. :affraid:

DrumsAndBeer":1qhqmtnj said:
Dave_In_Philly":1qhqmtnj said:
Yeah my wife would make the baby food as well. She used to fill all our ice trays with strained peas, yams, apples, spinach, you name it.

Anyway, it did help our oldest daughter with the her food allergies and with eliminating all the Exorcist like vomit blasts. :affraid:
We also made out own. It was far less expensive to make versus buying. We did have a couple of jars in diaper bags for emergencies. I lived ziplock to ziplock back then and didn't think of using jars.

kyle, if you are looking for a reason to buy more, i use the carrots to make carrot cake because wifey doesnt like the carrot pieces in the batter

Watch those baby food jars! They don't seal well after being opened. I've got 12-15 that I've kept over the years and only two or three of them seal well enough to keep small amounts of leaf fresh and then only for short periods. The rest are for nuts, bolts and screws.

There are some small wide-mouth Mason jars that are perfect.....The wide mouth allows one to pack a pipe right out of the jar. The ones I have are made by Ball, 2 inches in height with cap on, jar is 3-1/2 inches wide at the base, mouth opening is 3 inches wide....Check out your local Wal-Mart or other similar store; these are small enough to carry around with your pipe gear. I believe that they come in packs of 10 or 12; new lids can be purchased if needed in the future, but I reuse the lids that come with the jars without any problems.

Okay, gents.

* Sealing issues: I intend to use them merely for tobacco that's "in-use only," not for long-term storage. Hence, why they'll replace ziplocs. As mentioned, 4oz (preferably wide-mouth) mason jars are tops in my book. I wouldn't expect food storage jars to last particularly long (not with cheeky engineers figuring the shelf-life of the food should determine the stability of the sealing properties of the product lid...bastards!) :p

* Grasping issues: As the great apes we are, tools are a magnificent thing. I properly positioned pipe nail seems to get crammed tobacco out of the smallest areas. *shrug* :lol:

* Treehugger issues: So there's no stuff on hand when the power goes out and the food processor/stove/lights won't work? At least six jars should be a backup, if anything, an excuse to say, "Whoops, went past the best-by date, turning these into 'bacca storage!" A stretch, but plausible.

* Carrot cake issues: That's effing brilliant, Jefe, you win Internet points. (It's all I can give in a pinch, sorry dude). :cheers:

So. Back to baby food jars. I still think they're a viable alternative (even...hippy-esque in the reusable department over ziploc baggies). I had a barbecue sauce jar that smelled pretty smokey at the lid. Solution? Latakia mixture storage. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":klw8pc3u said:
So. Back to baby food jars. I still think they're a viable alternative (even...hippy-esque in the reusable department over ziploc baggies). I had a barbecue sauce jar that smelled pretty smokey at the lid. Solution? Latakia mixture storage. :lol:

8)

Use 1/2 tsp of OxyClean (or a similar unscented, cleaner...if you have a brewing supply store anywhere near you, any "sanitizer" they sell works perfectly).
Put the powder in, fill about 3/4 of the way full with hot tap water, put the lid on, and give it a good shake. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes...then flip it upside down for 5-10 more. Empty, rinse thoroughly, and smell. If the sauce smell is still there, repeat.

Been there... problem is, mustard is a particularly pervasive little seed when ground and processed as a condiment. I don't think beans are going to need much more than a dishwasher cycle. :lol:

I still think it's funny the old, smokey barbecue sauce jar got regaled to Latakia storage once its intended purpose was exhausted. Maybe that's just me.

8)

I'm sorry but my mason jars are used for something else :drunken: I don't want to be the fool that stores tobacco in one of my mason jars then tries lighting it up :pale:

Anyone who'd confuse such things blindly, Cuervo, might do well to quit one and stick with the other...just as thought. :lol!: :lol: Or use REALLY BIG LABELS. :p

8)

Cuervo25_1":4nh1ky1i said:
I'm sorry but my mason jars are used for something else :drunken: I don't want to be the fool that stores tobacco in one of my mason jars then tries lighting it up :pale:
LMAO good luck trying to put 'else' in your pipe and smoking it :lol: