Baccyflap alternative

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatman":rgtj4efb said:
Saw this on Facebook, it looks interesting, a little expensive, and I might order one

Flapjack
A Little! $89 to hold your tobacco? Not in my life time sir. :fpalm:
A Escudo tin will work just as well, let me send you some.............MT of course.

A 10 cent Ziploc bag does me just fine for short term storage. And I can drop it, sit on it or toss it like a frisbee.

Definately more than I'd pay, but considering dunhill get $180.00 and up for a cowhide roll-up not all that out of line considering the work involved in making small production runs of an item like that ! :twisted: :twisted:

tslots":q548f4km said:
A 10 cent Ziploc bag does me just fine for short term storage.   And I can drop it, sit on it or toss it like a frisbee.
Somebody Cheaper then ME!
Or should I say penny wise. ;)

monbla256":4xajm3qz said:
Definately more than I'd pay, but considering dunhill get $180.00 and up for a cowhide roll-up not all that out of line considering the work involved in making small production runs of an item like that ! :twisted: :twisted:
Hey Monbla, I'll send ya some of my old worn out boots and ya make ya some up. You'll be the only man in town with Tony Lama tobacco pouches.

I like the thing but wow that's pretty spendy for a glorified tobacco tin. If I were a rich man I'd have about a dozen of those things for sure.

I'm tired of the baggy thing and have gone on to re-using empty 50g tins when I'm on the go. I never did care much for pouches either since I prefer to take several blends with me if I go away for a weekend.

RobJ":vrn8w2am said:
I'm tired of the baggy thing and have gone on to re-using empty 50g tins when I'm on the go. I never did care much for pouches either since I prefer to take several blends with me if I go away for a weekend.
I wonder if those little single-serve side dish containers they use at KFC would work? They're smaller and lighter and seal pretty well. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thankfully I can easily get by with my trusty roll-up. (I had a great Dunhill roll-up [the lining is different], but it got swiped off the seat of my car in front of the St. Regis in New York.)

I'm not familiar with the side dish containers of which you speak. I've been doing some surfing trying find something similar to the expensive container this thread is about. I've found some screw top aluminum cans, which may or may not hold enough tobacco, but nothing nearly like it.

RobJ":1mw0wapr said:
I'm not familiar with the side dish containers of which you speak.
Redneck Baccyflap:

kfccon10.jpg
" />

Your a Hoot Richard! a real hoot.

Coleslaw & chicken flavored tobacco :fpalm:

Cartaphilus":y8li48tn said:
Your a Hoot Richard! a real hoot.

Coleslaw & chicken flavored tobacco :fpalm:
That sounds better than Old Lady's soap for sure !! :twisted: :twisted:

Richard Burley":v1pwc3w9 said:
I wonder if those little single-serve side dish containers they use at KFC would work? They're smaller and lighter and seal pretty well. Anyone know what I'm talking about? )
I have a few of those at home that I re-use for misc hardware storage on the workbench.   They all have pinholes in the top lid though, I assume for venting steam.   Not ideal for 'baccy, but probably OK for a day or two .   I'd still prefer the Ziploc bags as I can carry in my pocket or even my small, soft-side pipe case.

The first thing that comes to mind when looking at this product, is that it is constructed of aluminum. I have worked with aluminum for years as a tig welder, and I can tell you that aluminum shows dents and dings very easily.

Also, anodizing will wear off, when slipping an anodized product in and out of a pocket or something similar.

Another thing that comes to mind, is that I have around 6 or 7 original baccyflaps in my vintage tobacciania collection, and some of them I paid much less than $89 for. For around the same price range you could have an original if you are diligent in watching the online auctions.

While it is cool that someone has decided to bring the baccyflap back into production, IMO it would be much better if it were made from a similar material to the original.

Looks very nice. I have two baccyflaps that work well, otherwise I might indulge in one of these.

In all honesty, that thing is pretty cool! 8)

It's more than I should spend though, so it won't be making its way to my doorstep. :lol: