Back when men were men

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
Ah, the good old days. When something could happen and the guy could actually fix it. Impervious to EMPs, lightning, GPS tracking....................................

Back when Men were Men!

Check out the trailer for Hacksaw Ridge.

I about fell out when I watched it.
Anyone that knows me knows I'm a gun nut, but Grandpa didn't tolerate any talk about guns at his house. It was just about the only rule we had when we were with him.
One year, When I was a child and couldn't actually mow yet, I saw my grandfather without his shirt on. He had been mowing and He had this stuff all over, it looked like black spots all over his back, some had blood trickling into the sweat because they stook out a little. I asked him what it was and he said it was the war coming out of him. I later figured out that they don't always remove shrapnel..sometimes they leave it in because getting it out would cause too much damage. This shit literally leaked out of his body his entire life. Slowly.

Papaw tried to CO out of the draft because his Pentecostal belief didn't allow for the taking of human life. He went before the draft board and they asked him if he was against killing or against the army. Long story short he ended up a medic in the 504PIR during the invasion of Sicily in 43. He was dropping patients of at the field hospital when it was bombed. He looked over, saw his buddy had his legs blown off, grabbed that man up and carried him to the next field hospital. Something like 3 miles or whatever. When papaw laid the man down my papaws guts fell out on that man. Trying to save his friends life saved his life. They actually had him back in England and offered to send him home due to his injuries and he says, "I was so drugged up Brandon they could have asked me if I believed in unicorns and I'd have said yes".. I think he was full of shit and wanted to go back to his unit.

He was allowed to go back to the field but the 504th was for all intent depleted. He got reassigned to the 508th just in time for D-Day. He said the rest of the war was a cake walk after getting blown up. He said he figured if God was going to take him he would have done it in Sicily.

So basically papaw was a bad mofo. Lol. He jumped into Sicily and got blown up, then he jumped into Normandy and walked to Berlin, all without a Gun because the King James Version says, "Thou shalt not kill."

PB was your grandpa in the 101st or 82nd Airborne ? Both were part of the 504 PIR. My father was in the 82nd, Pathfinders at Sicily so he might have known your grandfather. Sadly i can't talk to him about any of this any more as he died in '97. I was a corpsman with the Marines in 'Nam and didn't carry a weapon also. We were considered non-combatants and as such we didn't carry weapons. That's the way it was and it was no big deal for us that did this. :twisted: :twisted:

He was 504/82, and later 508/82  he died a few years back at 90 years old. He was a great enough man that I can go introduce myself in Salyersville, and around Morgan county and if I name drop my papaw people give me a bucketful of respect on his account.  

My father did Vietnam, I played in the sand. We Salyer's have always served. My half brother and 4 of my first cousins are the first Salyer's to ever Not be in the military at some point.  I'm annoyed they skipped but relieved they skipped. If we still had the illusion of fighting for freedom I'd get my patriotism on..but we ain't and I can't.
Given today's climate I have encouraged the kids to break the tradition ranks.  My eldest skipped it for college. I think the middle kid is on safe ground as well...but the boy is hopeless.  I'd try to disssuade him to steer clear more forceful endeavors, go be an Air Force MP, or maybe the navy and be an air traffic controller.. but he's going to keep that hard head and go in on a  guaranteed spot with the grunts.  If I can just keep him out of force recon at this point I'll have to conceee, man up, and be proud of him...I just know constant deployment and the mental stresses of combat will screw him up as bad as the guys I see at Ireland on Ft Knox.

Sorry for the long posts, I've got the bed time meds flowing through the system. Lol

I need a bunch of "LIKE" buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fascinating reading Peeb and Michael. Having read a great deal about Overlord and having walked the beaches, I never get tired of hearing about others' real life experiences. Sounds like your Papaw was quite the legend.

And, imagine this: Lindbergh was able to bring a thermos full of coffee with him. :D

The life, I tell ya! The life!!!! :lol!: