Bad influence

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuervo25_1

Reaction score
OK each and everyone of you are a bad influence, and I love you all for it!:twisted:  I need to in one way or another make a ton of money fast so I can buy a small farm, build a huge shop where I can work on anything I want, buy any tobacciana, shaving goods, or clothing I wish (mostly because of your raves about stuff you jerks :p)

OK OK maybe the farm idea aint any of your faults but for some reason I am getting fairly attached to chickens. Interesting birds really, can be kinda pesky when the decide they want your attention instead of letting you tend to other work, but gotta love them.

I hear ya man!

I'm in the process of building a new workbench so I can have more space for tinkering on all the things (pipes, shaving brushes, pens, etc.)

kfc-1110.jpg
" />

I bet the Eagles and hawks around here would be swooping and eating chickens at will. And for lost rentals I'd probably get charged $100 per chicken. Can I get rental insurance. :lol!: 

I agree, I love chickens also but, they gotta be fried.

Chickens are cool.  Intelligent, adorable, messy little things.   Too tasty for their own damn good.   Once in a while a tired egg hen ends up plucked and cleaned and presented proudly to me from a farming acquaintance, something that's been peckin' and scratchin' for a few years...those kind of birds are a little stringier than the plump mass-produced grocery store models, but the flavor... oh boy.   Pot au feu with chicken... coq au vin, even a confit...or just brine 'em, rub 'em with some spices and...

:rotisserie:  

8)

Kyle Weiss":6x726hx9 said:
Chickens are cool.  Intelligent, adorable,,,,,,
We musta had the wrong kind of chickens when I was growing up.

Ours were dumber than a box of rocks with raging PMS 24/7.

Extra crispy please.

I don't need to rent chickens I work with them already I know I like them, they taste good and the produce eggs which also taste good. As for hawks we are loaded with red tailed and coopers hawks, not to mention other preditors. I can build a coop with a couple runs that will keep them out. I also would like pigs, cows and a couple draft horses.

The shop would primarly be for repairs on tools, creating items I need, maintenance on equiment and just general tinkering

I would love to live completely off the grid and be so self sufficent that the only money I need will be for taxes and a few supplies that I cannot readily produce. Or better yet live somewhere that there is no property taxes. which will lower my money needs even more.

Cuervo25_1":lw5bbmwa said:
I don't need to rent chickens I work with them already I know I like them, they taste good and the produce eggs which also taste good.
Would you rent pigs if you could?  Many pig owners won't rent them out for some reason.  "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit".  :lol: 

Rad

Rad Davis":b3jaw0da said:
Cuervo25_1":b3jaw0da said:
I don't need to rent chickens I work with them already I know I like them, they taste good and the produce eggs which also taste good.
Would you rent pigs if you could?  Many pig owners won't rent them out for some reason.  "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit".  :lol: 

Rad
nope,already raised a pig too, His name was bacon :p

I love chickens! I designed and helped to build a small coop and my boys and I kept about 4-6 chickens. Wonderful little birds with such personality. :) They are kind of like pipes, you can't have just one...or two...or three...

I really enjoy Phoenix, and Dutch bantams, may get a few of each just for pets. What I am really interested in as far as food goes is jersey giants , Black copper Marans (chocolate brown eggs), easter egger chickens ( lay different tones of green and blue eggs) Olive eggers (olive colored eggs) and several other types covering all the egg colors and meat. I may also get some turkeys, looking at bourbon reds as a cantidate.

Yorkshire and hampshire hogs as far as pigs go due to their ease of care, great mothers and foragers.

Holstein cattle, not only an excellant dairy cow but excellant for meat as well.

Clydesdales, I figure if I do anything as far as creating my own lumber and burning wood I would much rather use large draft horses to drag out logs over mules. easier for them to do the work which means less stress on the animal.
Probaly have a walker just for riding.

Of course the vegitable garden along with fruit trees and a greenhouse.

Of course this all depends on if somehow I can get the money to do all of this :p

Cuervo25_1":zybi7729 said:
I really enjoy Phoenix, and Dutch bantams, may get a few of each just for pets. What I am really interested in as far as food goes is jersey giants , Black copper Marans (chocolate brown eggs), easter egger chickens ( lay different tones of green and blue eggs) Olive eggers (olive colored eggs) and several other types covering all the egg colors and meat. I may also get some turkeys, looking at bourbon reds as a cantidate.

Yorkshire and hampshire hogs as far as pigs go due to their ease of care, great mothers and foragers.

Holstein cattle, not only an excellant dairy cow but excellant for meat as well.

Clydesdales, I figure if I do anything as far as creating my own lumber and burning wood I would much rather use large draft horses to drag out logs over mules. easier for them to do the work which means less stress on the animal.
Probaly have a walker just for riding.

Of course the vegitable garden along with fruit trees and a greenhouse.

Of course this all depends on if somehow I can get the money to do all of this :p
I had a cuckoo maran, she was absolutely gorgeous and the sweetest girl. She did lay beautiful eggs.

The lady I work for has all sorts of chickens , including silkies. The other day I took my son with me and he seen one of them and asked what kind of Chicken it was. I told him then he asked what her name was, and I told him. (Yes I know the names of most of the chickens) he got an upset look on his face and I asked him what was wrong. " I wanted to name her Princess Silkie Soft" I promptly took him to the newest coop where she has all the older chicks that don't need heat lamps in which there are about 6 silkies. I told him one of these are bound to be a girl so when we find out which are girls and which are boys then we can name one that.

The lady I work for has alot of great qualities, she lets me bring him because it is threapeutic for him, she lets him name some chickens, she is very kind and values my input and ideas. Up to the point I started working for her the only farm experiance I had was dairy farms and raising a pig. She was amazed at how quick I took to the chickens and how much I really enjoy them. She even commented on how she sometimes listens to me talk to them (Yes I talk to the chickens!)

No way, didn't ever think I'd see this sort of topic here, very cool, my Da' used to keep Chickens, he had dozens of them and used to give away the eggs each day to pensioners in his village, on one of the few days I got to spend time with my Da before he passed he introduced me to his Chickens, I found it odd at the time that he had named every one of them but now I think on it fondly and realise just how special my Da was, thanks for sharing this topic here, it has brought back some wonderful memories. :heart: 

Chicken are so cool some are so beautiful, calm, and friendly that they would make great pets. others are perfect for frying because they are ugly and jerks, and then there are those that are just average chickens that could go in either direction plus egg production lol.

I worked there tonight and was walking around one of the coops collecting the eggs while holding one of the chickens. she just sat there calmly and made her little purrs and other sounds of content.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/phoenixpage.html

They have many colors of these birds all of them are beautiful. The one I was carrying around was a silver duckwing hen fit for a pet, The Rooster in said coop is awesome looking but moody.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Dutch-Bantam-B142.aspx#

These are basicly just for pets, unless you don't mind eating small eggs. They are all friendly and one often sits on my shoulder while I am in their coop working. Also comes in many colors and beautiful.

Next weekend there is a chicken show I may go to....I may not come home empty handed, Lord help me lol