Bald Headed Teacher Substitute

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
I just fired up a bowl of this the other day and it was great. Does anyone know of another similar blend at a better price point, perhaps from Stokkebye or C&D? 4noggins bulk pricing just isn't that great.

Did you get the 10% discount for being a BoB member? This discount usually makes 4Noggins' prices very competitive.
Just saying.  :) 

AJ

ajn27511":ucxx9ft7 said:
Did you get the 10% discount for being a BoB member? This discount usually makes 4Noggins' prices very competitive.
Just saying.  :) 

AJ
Yep, agreed. I don't see much of a difference price-wise.

A pound of 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher, with the 10% BoB discount, is $33.29.

A pound of PS English Oriental Supreme at P&C is $32.36; at SPC, the same pound of PS Oriental Supreme is $27.97.

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of that discount.

I was referring to the price of their house blends compared to other brands they carry. Their prices for C&D are marginally better than pipesandcigars, but the prices for their house blends are a bit high. PS Highland whisky is 15.99/0.5 lb. vs. 23.24/0.5 lb of BHT--both at 4noggins without the discount. Full disclosure: I'm a huge cheapskate.

P. S. How does one obtain the discount? Mention it in the order comments or is there a code?

Back on topic--anyone have similar smoking blends?

The best price per ounce will take buying a pound.

I have only had a small sample of BHT, and I enjoyed it. It is a mild latakia bland with burley and a some vanilla IIRC. There are other mild mild latakia blends with burley out there. I am smoking Morley's Best right now, and it is very good. It does not have the vanilla.

Thomas Tkach":pwp0hbdh said:
Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware of that discount.

I was referring to the price of their house blends compared to other brands they carry. Their prices for C&D are marginally better than pipesandcigars, but the prices for their house blends are a bit high. PS Highland whisky is 15.99/0.5 lb. vs. 23.24/0.5 lb of BHT--both at 4noggins without the discount. Full disclosure: I'm a huge cheapskate.

P. S. How does one obtain the discount? Mention it in the order comments or is there a code?

Back on topic--anyone have similar smoking blends?

Just enter BOB in the code box. (I think bob in lower case works as well - don't think it's case sensitive).

Cheers,

RR

Fr_Tom":uzj4uvbn said:
The best price per ounce will take buying a pound.

I have only had a small sample of BHT, and I enjoyed it. It is a mild latakia bland with burley and a some vanilla IIRC. There are other mild mild latakia blends with burley out there. I am smoking Morley's Best right now, and it is very good. It does not have the vanilla.
I don't need quite that much, but it's funny how their bulk discount on house blends doesn't kick in until a whole pound, whereas the half pound of Morley's is much cheaper (it's only $2 cheaper at the whole pound, but $4 cheaper at a half pound). Thanks for that recommendation, though! I might have to give it a try.

That's awfully generous. I'm sure I've got something I could send in return. What sort of stuff do you like to smoke?

Also, any Hearth and Home blends that are close, since they're on sale right now?

Well, I just smoked my first bowl of Morley's Best. Here is my review:

First thoughts: smells maybe slightly more of latakia. In the bowl there is some harshness from a bigger burley presence it seems. I can definitely see the same interplay between burley and a bit of latakia. The virginias do not seem to be very present. This seems a little more full than BHT, but I'm not smoking them back-to-back. It seems ot be missing something--likely the aromatic component and it's attendant hint of sweetness. Seems like a miss

The more I smoke, though, the more I think I begin to appreciate it one it's own. Though not quite the same or quite as sweet, it's a really good burley blend with a just enough latakia coming through to spice things up. Nutty and earthy. I might have to get some more of this--though not an exact match, it cuold take the place of BHT in my line-up--a lighter latakia change-of-pace with ample burley flavor.

Thanks again Fr-Tom!

Glad you are liking it.

I have tried the three you sent me.

The Halav U'Dvash is a very tasty, mellow and slightly heavy smoke. You get a little perique in the profile, and the topping is almost a burnt sugar. I noticed the orientals in the last third of the bowl. It works quite well, and I am finding I enjoy it. This is very subtle and a good combination for me.

The Natural Dutch Cavendish is a good smoke, but it is nothing fancy. I get tobacco flavor, natural subdued sweetness and a cool burn. It is a combination that works. It is not a flavor bomb or have much complexity. There is a lot to be said for a tobacco like this.

The Turkish Export was very interesting. It tickles the nose early in the bowl and gives an occasional tingle to the tongue later as you smoke the bowl down. It leaves a very pleasant sweetish aftertaste in the mouth when you are done smoking. In terms of flavor, it is thin but pleasant mix of sweet and spicy. There is no topping that I can detect. This is a mild smoke and has a decent tobacco flavor with a little something extra.

I am smoking American Heritage now in a Brebbia pot. Pretty tasty, but definitely a burley blend like the Morley's Best. AH might have a little more latakia and maybe less of the vitamin N. It is slightly more edgy if that makes sense, and there was always a slightly harsh edgy quality to Blue Boar that I enjoyed.

Thomas, some day, if you shop with P&C, they sell an interesting tobacco called Obsidian. It's made of latakia and black cavendish. Sweet, smokey, rough cut and cool burning. The cavendish is probably burley but I'm guessing at that. Virginias bite me and Obsidian had no bite at all. I haven't had any in three years but they still sell it. Never smoked BHT and I doubt that Obsidian is similar but since you like sweet and smokey you might like it. Or not.

After smoking AH, I found it to probably be a closer match to BHT. The Burley was definitely there, adding some earthiness like in BHT, but it wasn't as up front as I found it in MBest. It seemed a touch sweeter to me, with a little more Latakia and the addition of Turkish, though it seemed to be more of a supporting role. Both were good smokes, so future bowls (and perhaps pricing!) will have to determine which might make a more permanent place in the rotation.

Rich's hand-blended 4 Noggins Rincon de la Pipa No. 1 is a good choice IMO:

Burley, Turkish Izmir, Virginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia  -- all very well balanced -- more of a Balkan, on the mild side, with excellent flavor and smoothness.

You can use the note section when place your next order online to ask Rich for a small complimentary sample.

4Noggins Bald Headed teacher has become one of my standby's. I ordered a pound, saved some $ per ounce (I will smoke it all, in time), and I have that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that I have enough on hand, should we be snowed in for 3 months.

So your looking for a substitute teacher? (rim shot) HAHAHA I'll be here all week  :joker: