Balkan Flake ... my thoughts.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frontkämpfer 72

Reaction score
Just tried some Balkan Flake today, mixture of Virgina flake and Latakia ... Well other than being a cool smoke, it's taste did nothing for me. Kind of bitter with a bite (not tongue bite because it does smoke pretty cool)... To me tasted like a mixture of mossy oak tree bark and an old chewing tobacco plug that had been left in the glove compartment of a pickup truck for 3 years.... Not good for my taste... I do like FVF so go figure ?

Anyone else have thoughts on Balkan Flake, please share...

Erik

My only experience with Balkan Flake has been with a sample that was aged for a year. I found it to be both extremely smooth and flavorful, with the Virginia and Latakia having equal ground. But again, aged a year, so it was probably better off than your everyday tin.

I like Balkan Flake quite a bit, especially to start the day with a bowl in the morning. It tastes relatively light to me, maybe a bit heavier than McClelland Anniversary. The name 'Balkan' might suggest that it contains Orientals in addition to Virginia and Latakia, but I can't taste them (if they are there).

hp
les

Just popped a 4 year old tin last night in fact. Ran out of Presbyterian you see. Good stuff Presbyterian. Damn good. Anywho. Ive had a fresh tin of Balkan before and while good, this is better. Much better.

I'd say store it up and try it down the road. It is nothing complex, just smooth and doesn't bite.

P

___-_

I am thinking of declaring this stuff to be sacred with a few years on it. My goodness is it good. I can't get a bite out of it, and it looks like that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer took up smoking in his appt. Good stuff.