Balkan for a new smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASmith

Reaction score
Hello Folks, I'm really interested in trying the various Balkan blends, but don't know where to start. Can anyone give me a hand, please?
Thanks, and take care.

Balkin Sesini or Bill Baileys Balkin is always a good place start. Easy to find fairly mild and really flavorful

Some may not concur but my two fave "Balkan" blends (they are more Oriental flavored than Latakia) would be Peretti's Royal Blend or McClellands Matured Orientals #14, both of which are my "daily" smokes. And they are very affordable and available :cheers:

GL Pease has a wide palette of Balkans. I recommend going to Greg's web site ( http://www.glpease.com/ ) and reading though the blends to get some idea of which to start with. If nothing really jumps out and you are still confused on which to try, start with the Classic collection.

I have heard good things Sasieni but I haven't tried it. I can wholeheartedly recommend McClelland's Blue Mountain. I can't say whether or not it has accomplished the goal of emulating the original Balkan Sobranie but I can say its a pretty darn good smoke in its own right.

You guys are mean encouraging him this way.

Balkans n'existe pas.

I'll second Baileys. A good all around Balkan.

Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme. Not only is it a great smoke, it is economical. You can get it from Mars Cigars in smaller quantities or a pound for $26.95. That is a HUGE bargain in today's premium tobacco market.

Smokey

Pease's Kensington or Caravan? Never tried 'em, but they sure sound good.

Presbyterian Mix? Again, never tired it, but it's on my list, too.

8)

Muddler":09exnwz8 said:
Meridian & Lagonda, both by GLP.
Of course, I love the recommendation, but maybe a little too robust for a first go with the style. Now, Chelsea Morning, though a different sort of beast, has all the goodness in a somewhat lighter presentation.

JASmith, what have you been smoking up to this point? It would help to get some compass points for where you've been in order to recommend new directions. (And, no, that's NOT a plug for the not yet released Sextant, though it should be! ;))

Kyle Weiss":8bqi0vh1 said:
Presbyterian Mix? Again, never tired it, but it's on my list, too.

8)
I think of Pres as an English for some reason.

Gawith Hoggarth 'Balkan Mixture' should be widely available, and you can buy a small sample to see if you like it rather than invest in a tin.

I like this stuff, but not as an everyday smoke.

glpease":ki9uffgm said:
Muddler":ki9uffgm said:
Of course, I love the recommendation, but maybe a little too robust for a first go with the style. Now, Chelsea Morning, though a different sort of beast, has all the goodness in a somewhat lighter presentation.

JASmith, what have you been smoking up to this point? It would help to get some compass points for where you've been in order to recommend new directions. (And, no, that's NOT a plug for the not yet released Sextant, though it should be! ;))
Hello, I'm new to the pipe smoking world(just a little over a month), having come from cigars...Mainly drugstore crap is what I've smoked, but have tried(and liked) Boswell's Northwoods and Countryside....

Dave_In_Philly":iqy1s0lh said:
I have heard good things Sasieni but I haven't tried it. I can wholeheartedly recommend McClelland's Blue Mountain. I can't say whether or not it has accomplished the goal of emulating the original Balkan Sobranie but I can say its a pretty darn good smoke in its own right.
^^^^ This ^^^^ Sasieni is a good smoke for the price, but Blue Mountain is special.

JASmith":kbf3u238 said:
glpease":kbf3u238 said:
Muddler":kbf3u238 said:

Hello, I'm new to the pipe smoking world(just a little over a month), having come from cigars...Mainly drugstore crap is what I've smoked, but have tried(and liked) Boswell's Northwoods and Countryside....
Ooooh! If you're coming from cigars, I might recommend Key Largo. It's got a bit of cigar leaf in the mix, which complements the rest of the tobaccos really nicely. It's not like smoking a cigar in a pipe at all, but it has its own unique flavor profile, and some of that familiarity. It's a great introduction to latakia mixtures for cigar lovers, and it's also just a really nice blend in its own right. It's one of my faves, especially in the summer time.

If you prefer the more robust cigars, the Meridian and Lagonda blends might be right in your street. But, I also stick behind my recommendation of Chelsea Morning.

You might also enjoy the article, What is a Balkan Blend?, for a somewhat controversial light cast onto the contemporary parlance. ;)

I agree on Chelsea Morning. My favorite cigar blend is Robusto.

Greg's Key Largo is, easily, my favorite toby since I started pipe smoking back in July. Amazing doesn't do it justice as an adjective IMHO..

I tried McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town early on and it was mellow enough for a pipe newb that I would recommend it to you as well..good luck finding something you like!