Balkan Mixture Pipe Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velveteagle

Reaction score
While I am waiting for a few new Tobacco blends to come in the mail. I was reading up on an old blend called Balkan Sobranie. I understand they don't make it anymore. Just trying to widen my blends to try out. I did some reading online and came up with this comment because I am looking for a blend that is near what this one was..

For a dark deep Latakia blast that will remind you of your first impression of Balkan Sobranie white, Gawith Hogarth's Balkan Blend is a good choice, and so is Butera's Pelican. Both reek marvelously, are roughly at the half-way mark as far as Latakia, and seem to have less Oriental than either the Pease mixture mentioned above, or the Cornell & Diehl mixture. But I may be deceived.

I have been told that Smoker's Haven 'Our Best Blend' is a near-match to the Balkan Sobranie white, and that their Exotique is very similar to the Balkan Sobranie black.

Also I am thinking of ordering this blend ( BALKAN SASIENI 50g ) from 4noggins. Is it worth the effort ? I so enjoy the taste and smell of a good blend.

Peter Stokkbye's Balkan Supreme is a good too, and won't break the bank if you want to cellar in bulk.

Doc Manhattan":1sc1yjv1 said:
Peter Stokkbye's Balkan Supreme is a good too, and won't break the bank if you want to cellar in bulk.
I have the proper site ready to order.. I will try to find a local Tobacco shop that carries it. It cost too much to ship so far.. Small tin was less than $4.00 then they wanted $10.50 to ship on it.. 8oz Bulk on another site cheaper for S&H wanted only $7.00 for shipping from only 500 miles away.. I like what people have posted on this blend.. So sad this blend costs to much to ship normal ground rates.. :roll: :roll:
Chuck

You are not alone in your pursuit of this blend. I myself have never tried the original Balkan Sobranie - but read up online regarding it's components from those attempting to duplicate it.

Those who have experience with the blend may wish to chime in here, but it is my understanding the blend is:

6 parts Virginia (I use McClelland 5100)
5 parts Yenidje (Pipeworks & Wilke sells some)
5 parts Syrian Latakia (Robert McConnels Pure Syrian)

I have read many variations - but that is the heart of it - Old Gowrie makes a great virginia in the blend by the way...

I wouldn't expect to duplicate the blend, as "virginia" is a pretty broad area - Red virginia is about as exacting a description as I have found so far, and even that seems dotted with tales of black cav or stoved virginias

You are not alone in your pursuit of this blend. I myself have never tried the original Balkan Sobranie - but read up online regarding it's components from those attempting to duplicate it.

Well thank you gandalfpc for the information.. Interesting how some classic blends can get lost in the closets of our minds.. I think down the road I will stock pile some choice pipe blends that I want to smoke on those special days to come. Wonder if a dark basement that stays pretty cool will work fine.. Mason jars ??

VE, building up a cellar of favourite tobaccos is a must for all serious pipe smokers. For one thing, one gets to smoke aged tobaccos. For another, it's a hedge against future price increases. Finally, it tides one over crises of availability - as we're experiencing on some brands right now. A cool, dark cellar is perfect - I use a cupboard. Mason jars are the way to go if you choose to buy bulk tobaccos, with its attendant economies.

Muddler":vxj7x3f5 said:
VE, building up a cellar of favourite tobaccos is a must for all serious pipe smokers. For one thing, one gets to smoke aged tobaccos. For another, it's a hedge against future price increases. Finally, it tides one over crises of availability - as we're experiencing on some brands right now. A cool, dark cellar is perfect - I use a cupboard. Mason jars are the way to go if you choose to buy bulk tobaccos, with its attendant economies.
A good day to ya Muddler.. I shall start my cubby hole storage of tabaccos. I feel this will be a good investment down the road. If things happen one way or the other at least I can enjoy my pipe.. The rest of the world can run in circles until the dust settles.. Thanks my friend for the confirmation...
Chuck..

Hello from London,

I smoke a blend called "Balkan Mixture - Latakia Blend" by Kendal, from the Davidoff shop on St James Street London W1.

I gave some to my Grandfather who is a die hard Balkan Sobranie veteran and he says that this blend is the closest comparison by far. Maybe worth a try? Can you guys get this blend in the states?....

velveteagle":mxe8or6k said:
Muddler":mxe8or6k said:
A good day to ya Muddler.. I shall start my cubby hole storage of tabaccos. I feel this will be a good investment down the road. If things happen one way or the other at least I can enjoy my pipe.. The rest of the world can run in circles until the dust settles.. Thanks my friend for the confirmation...
Chuck..
Mudd is my good buddy and suggested that I spend my money on baccy and less on pipes. It doesn't help to have 40 cool pipes and nothing or crap to smoke in them. This made a lot of sense and I have never looked back!!
Go for it VE, it opens up a whole new avenue! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Every wise pipe smoker knows that in the hellish after-scape of world collapse, tobacco will buy you all the bullets and chow you can handle - while gold bars are pounded into ashtrays :)

All kidding aside - stuff that cellar with fine tobacco and you will never regret it :)