Balkan Sobranie - New Breed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootist51

Reaction score
Made an unusual trip to a local B&M Saturday and was able to pick up the "new" Balkan Sobranie.
This was the first experience with this blend, new or old, and I was looking forward to trying it.
I have tried "Blue Mountain" and "Black House", the results of the "blend off" sponsored at the Chicago Pipe Show and really enjoyed both. This gave me a chance to see what all the hub bub was about.
The Balkan Sobranie tasted, to me pretty much the same as the two competitors, but it did seem to have a harshness the others lacked. I smoked it first in a new, unsmoked cob and later in the evening in a well used briar and the harshness remained.
The Balkan Sobranie did seem to me to have a bit more of a nicotine hit for those who look for that feature.
Overall, glad I tried it, but think in the future I will stick with the American products, either of which fill the taste niche very nicely. The American versions also were a few dollars cheaper which though not crucial certainly helps.

I didn't mind the flavor of the new Sobranie, but I didn't like how the cut performed for me. It has a briny, edgy and full flavor that's pretty darned good--there's other stuff I have found I like more, whether it's a "copy of the past" or not.

8)

For me the best re-imagining of Sobranie 759 is Abingdon. Delicious, simply in another class. Needs at least a year in the tin though.

sisyphus":3hqw7gbm said:
For me the best re-imagining of Sobranie 759 is Abingdon. Delicious, simply in another class. Needs at least a year in the tin though.
Both the old BS and the new BS were NOT the old 759. It was MUCH BETTER than the white tin BS :p Peretti's Royal Blend is one of the closest I've found to the old 759 available today ! I smoked 759 for almost 30 years and this is the closest I've found to the old 759 IMHO :p

BS (White Tin/Black Printing) and BS759 (Black Tin/Gold printing) were two entirely different tobacs.

Seems like those are getting confused here.

Blackpoint (@ 5 years )= 759 only better.

:face:

I mentioned Abingdon because IMO it's better than Black House and Blue Mountain, which were mentioned in the OP. I'm aware the white and black tins were different blends, and trying to recreate the white is pointless. It's the Mother blend and was perfection.

ah come on, without the disputandems this place would be no fun.

I have a couple of tins of the "remake" Balkan Sobranie white waiting to be opened .....

To the OP, it's funny that I find most US-made baccy, except for Mr Pease's blends and the Frog Morton series, lacking that "finishing touch" and just overall rough around the edges ..... but again ..... "de gustibus" :roll:

sisyphus":u5b8gfr7 said:
I agree completely! I tried the "Throwdown" winners and felt they didn't bear much resemblance to their target and were vastly inferior to Abingdon in any case.

rcstan":olx5l6ub said:
I have a couple of tins of the "remake" Balkan Sobranie white waiting to be opened .....

To the OP, it's funny that I find most US-made baccy, except for Mr Pease's blends and the Frog Morton series, lacking that "finishing touch" and just overall rough around the edges ..... but again ..... "de gustibus" :roll:
I find that to be true very often, so I was surprised that the BS seemed just the opposite...I find it harsher, with a bitterness that the domestics don't seem to have.

Sobranie 759 = Peretti's Royal Blend :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

monbla256":qiflofnp said:
If that's what 759 actually was like, I'm glad I missed it. Wasn't a fan of RB. At all. Very mediocre on all counts, which I hate more than something being truly bad (a challenge) or truly good (obviousness). YMMV. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":ijt1twdg said:
monbla256":ijt1twdg said:
If that's what 759 actually was like, I'm glad I missed it. Wasn't a fan of RB. At all. Very mediocre on all counts, which I hate more than something being truly bad (a challenge) or truly good (obviousness). YMMV. :lol:

8)
Everyone has an OPINION :twisted:

759 genre replication : mark the tin of Blackpoint you have put back "Do not open until (5 years after tin date)"

When you taste, you know.

Until then there is, as Mumbles keeps pointing out, Opinion.

:face: