Bands that pass the test of time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArleighBerg

Reaction score
There are some bands and particular recordings that after thousands of listens - keep sounding fresh and make the hair on my arms stand up. Some examples, in no particular order:
  • Steely Dan
    Tool
    Temple of the Dog
    The Company Band
    Rage Against the Machine
    Pink Floyd (Welcome to the Machine through the Wall years)
    Led Zeppelin - Nobody's Fault But Mine; Houses of the Holy (song)
    Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
    Metallica - Master of Puppets (album)
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Clearly my taste is rock, with an edge toward hard rock, but I could listen any one of these bands or recordings and be lost in a wonderful ether of sound. What are yours?

ArleighBerg":qemau91v said:
Pink Floyd (Welcome to the Machine through the Wall years)
Led Zeppelin - Nobody's Fault But Mine; Houses of the Holy (song)

This shows ya like what ya grew up with.
We both like these two bands, but being
about sixteen years older, my favorites
are Ummagumma thru Dark Side of the Moon
and Zeppelin I thru III. :lol:

ArleighBerg":17naqks3 said:
Steely Dan
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
I love these bands, but for me Led Zeppelin will forever be "the band." Ever since the 6th grade, I have loved this band. A few more I would add are:

Foo Fighters
Cold Play
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Elton John

I guess the list can go on forever!

Damn kids and their noise :evil:

Beatles : Help ! through Revolver/Sgt. Pepper (& stuff like Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields & Lady Madonna, put out at that time as singles so they were left off their albums).

Buffalo Springfield

Moby Grape

Jefferson Airplane : Surrealistic Pillow

Rolling Stones : Between the Buttons

Bob Dylan : up to & including Blonde on Blonde.

Tim Buckley : Happy/Sad

:face:

Allman Bros
AC/DC
ZZ Top
Steely Dan
Led Zeppelin
Johnny Winters
Blue Oyster Cult

It may be that my post was a bit misleading. I was not necessarily talking about the typical “who is the best band” discussion theme, but more about those recordings that no matter how many times you hear them, they are just plain GOOD. Good quality sound, good solid songwriting, memorable hooks, all the things that allow you to get lost in the sounds. Midway through the recording you realize you have a smile on your face – like this music was created only for you to hear. I hear these types of music and wonder how much of a loss it would have been if the artists hadn’t had the chance to record them – the awesomeness of that voice, the tremolo of the single note held for a few moments, the crunch of the guitar, or perfect drum fill. The better ones are not dated – if listening for the first time you wouldn’t be able to tell if they were 2 or 20 years old.

To me, the unsung heroes of the moments I describe are the producers and engineers. I really appreciate a good mix, the way the studio techs managed to tweak a note, layer a harmony, push the drums back a little or pull the singer up. The whispered slide of the fingers on the guitar strings in Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here”, the slight “tick” of the drumstick on the snare rim as the song’s last breath passes over Alison Krauss’s angelic lips on the way to the microphone, or the incredible echo of the kick drum on a Led Zeppelin track – one that comes from the wood floored hallway of an old house and a couple of dry microphones and not some electronic effect in the studio. These magic moments are captured by the engineers and are forever part of that music.

So really it comes back to the power of the recorded moments – not the band necessarily.

ArleighBerg":j6td71ft said:
It may be that my post was a bit misleading. I was not necessarily talking about the typical “who is the best band” discussion theme, but more about those recordings that no matter how many times you hear them, they are just plain GOOD. Good quality sound, good solid songwriting, memorable hooks, all the things that allow you to get lost in the sounds. Midway through the recording you realize you have a smile on your face – like this music was created only for you to hear.
I know exactly what you're talking about and the band that still surprises me is Angel City... or the Angels depending on the album. They might be a little before your time but check em out. They're a typical Australian "Pub Rock" band" like AC/DC or Airborne but the hooks, the riffs, lyrics and the sound still get the head a bangin, well bouncin anyway, especially on "Take a Long Line" and "Take Me Away to Marseilles". Whenever they show up on the radio, which is rare anymore, the volume goes to 11.

I haven't been here for 7 days yet so I can't post links ...just Google the titles on You Tube.

Scott

Greetings,

I can't believe no one listed RUSH. Maybe I missed it.

38 years and 20 studio albums later, they're still producing new music. And they're still touring worldwide. How many bands can claim that. Basically, none.

Their latest release is Clockwork Angels. An incredible work that demands repeated listenings. The opening song, Caravan and the closing song, The Garden, bookend the album perfectly. Definitely their best work in years.

Clockwork Angels tells the story of a young man setting out to make his way in the world (in Steampunk fashion), chronicling his trials and tribulations along the way. In fact, a novel of the story is due out in September.

I've seen them in concert 5 times, from 1978 to 2011. They have evolved over the decades and keep getting better. Truly amazing and gifted artists.

Their music is about all I listen to anymore. The breadth and width of Rush's music fits all my moods.

Their DVD documentary, "Beyond the Lighted Stage", is well worth watching. Expertly produced, very humorous at times, it tells their story from beginning to present. I highly recommend it for anyone, not just Rush fans.

One more factoid about Rush: All time gold and platinum records -
#1 - The Beatles. No suprise there.
#2 - The Rolling Stones.
#3 - RUSH.
And they're STILL not in The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! :x

CACooper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uk_ilymWo4s" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alice in Chains (Layne Staley era)
Bob Dylan
Tom Waits

... and....

PRINCE!!!!!!!! :D

I won't visit the R&R Hall of Fame (nee shame) until Rush is inducted!

You pretty much nailed it, Zeppelin & Pink Floyd are two of my top bands. For me, Pink Floyd albums are timeless. The Beatles for sure.

black-10.jpg

And, of course...

ozzy10.jpg

Yak":0ckgjdl0 said:
Beatles : Help ! through Revolver/Sgt. Pepper (& stuff like Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields & Lady Madonna, put out at that time as singles so they were left off their albums).

Buffalo Springfield

Moby Grape

Jefferson Airplane : Surrealistic Pillow

Rolling Stones : Between the Buttons

Bob Dylan : up to & including Blonde on Blonde.

Tim Buckley : Happy/Sad

:face:
Amen to that, Yakster! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Add The Byrds through Notorious Byrd Brothers and the first two Spirit albums...ZAH!!!

newjok12.png