Barbary Coast

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troll

Reaction score
Is there onyone who really enjoys this GLP blend. I've tried and tried and just can't get with this blend. No personal effront to GLP intended. Probably just me and my total lack of tobacco appreciation. After what do expect from a guy who likes Carter Hall, 1Q and Stanwells Melange.

Dave

I really enjoy Barbary Coast, and it actually turned me on to other, more traditional straight burleys like Carter Hall and Edgeworth RR. (I actually think of ERR as a less complicated cousin of BC.)

My enjoyment of BC was much heightened by a lighter hand packing... just scoop up a heaping pipeful and press down the overflow.

I have Barbary Coast on my list to order next time I place one. I received a sample from a fellow BoB'er a while back and I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm a pretty big fan of Pease blends, but Barbary Coast is by far my least favorite of the batch. Difficult to get lit, endless relights, and a flavor I don't particularly enjoy. Over the past two years I've only made it through a half tin and most of what went into my pipe reappeared in my ashtray after I gave up. So I'm with you on this particular blend. There's a whole lot of fine Burley floating round the market these days that I like better.

That said, my life wouldn't be nearly so enjoyable without Charing Cross, Haddo's Delight, Odyssey...

beaupipe":659xjbz3 said:
I'm a pretty big fan of Pease blends, but Barbary Coast is by far my least favorite of the batch. Difficult to get lit, endless relights, and a flavor I don't particularly enjoy. Over the past two years I've only made it through a half tin and most of what went into my pipe reappeared in my ashtray after I gave up. So I'm with you on this particular blend. There's a whole lot of fine Burley floating round the market these days that I like better.

That said, my life wouldn't be nearly so enjoyable without Charing Cross, Haddo's Delight, Odyssey...

Hey, me too!
BC is the only GLP blend that I don't care for.
All of the others I've tried I'm crazy about,
several are my top favorites.

I'm not a fan of this blend at all, although I love burley blends. The biggest problem I have is that it seems impossible to keep lit. The other problem (probably related to the first) is that it bites me hard. This is particularly frustrating because the flavor is great, IMO -- I just can't smoke it.

I agree...

light packing or it clogs for lack of a better term.

Its not an everyday for me, but I'm slowly getting through my second tin . It's a Gotta have the taste for it tobacco, but really good.

I'm becoming much more of a burley-phile. Loving LJ heart Burley from hearth and Home...

Jeff

I enjoy it. Something no one has mentioned... put a pipeful on the counter to dry a spell. This will help with the re-light challenge.

:D

I was just gifted a tin of this the other day, very excited after reading the label. Also received C&D's Burley Flake #2, looking forward to comparing the two, but honestly, I am quite enamored with anything made by Mr. Pease at the moment. I think I'll just dry it out from the git-go though, so I don't have to go through the frustration that so many of you have experienced.

Barbary Coast is not one of my favorite GLP blends, either. Lots of relights, can bite, and is much more expensive than superior burleys from blenders like C&D and H&H. JMHO.

Smokey

It really shows how the term "different strokes for different folks" comes into play here. Barbary Coast is one of the only Pease blends I enjoy. I'm a lover of good burley blends and this one fits quite nicely. We all know the properties and flavors of burley, virginias, and orientals. Being all such different leaf, we can expect many likes and dislikes from different smokers.

I love the stuff! I think of it as ERR's sphisticated cousin. A little drying time and a loose pack, and I'm good to go.

I just picked this up last week and fell in love with it. So much so, that I ordered another tin to cellar. I find that it's best when not overlit. I had a couple bowls in a hot pipe and the character was too much for me. but when I came back about 5 hours later and relit, it was amazing. Can't say I have had problems lighting it but it could be because it has been in my car in the tin.

I am a fan too. I was lucky enough to be in on the first issue of the original Pease blends. I loved Cairo, Haddo's and Barbary Coast, which is the only one that stayed in rotation through the years.

I load my morning bowl the night before... gently... don't pack it down too tight. By morning it burns clean, won't bite and is wonderful tobacco for building a cake. You probably don't need to let it sit that long but a couple of hours anyway. It is a sipping tobacco, if you stoke it up into a billowing cloud or go too fast it loses the flavor and becomes bitter and flat, just do the absolute minimum between puffs to keep it lit, (which if dried a bit, it will stay lit). Your tamps should be a gentle twist with very little pressure.

I love the flavor but it took me a bit to learn how to tame it which came in handy for taming other blends down the road that need sipping as well.

Scott

Scot's":rcfp1zvr said:
I am a fan too. I was lucky enough to be in on the first issue of the original Pease blends. I loved Cairo, Haddo's and Barbary Coast, which is the only one that stayed in rotation through the years.

I load my morning bowl the night before... gently... don't pack it down too tight. By morning it burns clean, won't bite and is wonderful tobacco for building a cake. You probably don't need to let it sit that long but a couple of hours anyway. It is a sipping tobacco, if you stoke it up into a billowing cloud or go too fast it loses the flavor and becomes bitter and flat, just do the absolute minimum between puffs to keep it lit, (which if dried a bit, it will stay lit). Your tamps should be a gentle twist with very little pressure.

I love the flavor but it took me a bit to learn how to tame it which came in handy for taming other blends down the road that need sipping as well.

Scott
Great points Scott. I think this is the essence of this tobacco. Take it slow and treat it gentle.