Barling 1279 EXEL Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piffyr

Reaction score
This Barling 1279 EXEL was sent to me to see what I could do with it. The owner mentioned that it would probably have to be restemmed and stained dark to hide the burn marks. When it arrived, I took a look at it and saw that the rim was also in rough shape. It was deeply scratched and there was some burn damage on the inner front.

Here are a few photos of the pipe on arrival:

a-%252520bmake127901.JPG

a-%252520bmake127902.JPG

a-%252520bmake127905.JPG

I thought that I could probably repair the damage without making any major changes, which is what I prefer when I can. The lines of the stem presented some challenges since they changed from hard to soft and back again, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Here are some photos of the finished pipe:

z-%252520bmake127901.JPG

z-%252520bmake127902.JPG

z-%252520bmake127904.JPG

Another thing of note about this pipe is that it's stamped "1978" on the right-side shank along with the "EXEL" stamps. I'm far from a Barling expert, but it doesn't match any Barling stamping that I'm aware of and I have no idea what it signifies. I've asked around and I've heard some interesting theories, but nothing concrete. So, it remains a bit of a mystery. If anyone has a clue, please feel free to chime in.

Brewdude":42ajpd3y said:
Wow! You did a bang-up job on that bro. Including and especially the fine button work. Did you use black super glue for that?
Thanks, RR! Yep, the stem repair was done with black CA.

Excellent stem work, Piffyr, and a great restoration all around! :cheers:

ontariopiper":m1pxj2n8 said:
Excellent stem work, Piffyr, and a great restoration all around! :cheers:
My thoughts exactly !! :bounce:

Piffyr, that is a great restoration job, especially the stem restoration!

If I'm not mistaken, those 1978 stamped pipes are from a batch where the stems were made during or after 78, but the briar was carved years before during the pre-transition period.

Dutch":dq30z2wa said:
Piffyr, that is a great restoration job, especially the stem restoration!

If I'm not mistaken, those 1978 stamped pipes are from a batch where the stems were made during or after 78, but the briar was carved years before during the pre-transition period.
Thanks, Dutch. I've heard that story too, but haven't been able to verify it. So, I'm not willing to call it fact, but I'm leaning that way. It fits the puzzle better than anything else that I've heard.