Barling Pipe question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg lorenz

Reaction score
I have just acquired this B.Barling & Sons Bulldog. Do any Brothers know what year this pipe is from?
I don’t see many craggy “bulldogs” in the Barling line. Not sure if I have something special or not.
Any information would be appreciated.
Tom

3_zps0b839af7.jpg
" />
2_zpsd7a222f0.jpg
" />
1_zps6831ba02.jpg
" />

four digit shape numbers are transition pieces unless they start with a one and have the arched Barling's Make
It's probably a decent pipe but not worth anything

sisyphus,

Thanks for the reply. What year do you think its from 60's, 70's? I was not any expensive purchase less than $90.00
I thought it had a nice blast and was surprised the Barling cross was still visible.

Tom

with the B Barling & Sons stamp my guess is 1970s but I'm no expert on Barlings. The more attractive but still cheap Barling's transition pieces were mid 1960s and shape catalogs are available online for that era. They sell for $50-100 unsmoked pretty regularly. You need to read up on their periods and nomenclature changes through the years, it's all online just Google Barling and you'll run into all the info you need.

From the 1970's is a good approximation, maybe late 60's.

One thing for sure -- this may not be worth a bundle, but it's still a nice pipe and is superb condition.

Thanks for sharing -- enjoy!  :)

Jesse Silver just updated the Barlings page on Pipepedia. Unfortunately, not much info and no nomenclature stamp pictures are included for post-Transition pieces ('63 to Present). You can contact Jesse, he might be able to narrow it down for you. If you are on the PipesMagazine forums, he is member "sablebrush52" there. I don't know if he is on this forum.

http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Barling

Brothers,

Thanks for your replies. Its amazing the wealth of knowledge on this board.
I will try to see if I can somehow  reach out to Jesse for more info.

Tom

Maybe this link will help. From what I can tell and I am no expert looks like it could be a Made in Denmark pipe. LINK

I messaged Jesse about the pipe and his reply is below, good find!

Hi Al, B. Barling & Sons was used for their second tier pipes. It's a Barlng second. Late '60's thru '70's is a good guesstimate. If it's made in Denmark, it will have a "made in Denmark" or "Denmark" stamp on it. A "Denmark" stamp would root the pipe in the 1970's, when Barling's product was outsourced to Denmark. In terms of styling, I don't see any Danish influence whatsoever. It certainly sports a great blast and appears to be in impeccable shape. There is no collector value, as such, but a fine smoking pipe that is handsome to the eye is always a good value .

riff raff,

Thank you so much for contacting Jesse on this. There is no "made in anywhere" stamp so I will assume it was NOT made in Denmark but London and could me late 60's. Thanks Again!

Tom