Barling's Guinea Grain EXEXEL Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I finished this 1940's era, pre-Transition Barlings Guinea Grain, for a member of another pipe forum. Jesse Silver, an authority on Barling's pipes was a big help dating the pipe. This was my first Barling's restoration and I enjoyed as much learning about the brand as I did doing the work. I include more details about the restoration process on Steve Laug's "Reborn Pipes" blog.

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/barlings-guinea-grain-restoration/

A few before and after shots below.

barlings_guinea_before.jpg

barlings_guinea_before-7.jpg

barlings_guinea_before-1.jpg

barlings_guinea_grain_finished-1.jpg

barlings_guinea_grain_finished-2.jpg

barlings_guinea_grain_finished-4.jpg

barlings_guinea_grain_finished-7.jpg

Very nice Al, if you wanted to get shot of those 'dings' on the stummel you can use a wet towel and an iron to drawn them out, I'm pretty sure Steve has an article on it over at rebornpipes somewhere.

Briar Spirit":nhwes927 said:
Very nice Al, if you wanted to get shot of those 'dings' on the stummel you can use a wet towel and an iron to drawn them out, I'm pretty sure Steve has an article on it over at rebornpipes somewhere.
I've already did that, I spend a good hour steaming all of those dents. Too many and too small to pull them out. I use an old kitchen knife, wet rag and a propane torch.

Nicely done, Al. Lovely clean up on that Barling. I get self conscious about cleaning up a pipe and leaving a little ring of oxidation where the stem meets the shank, but I always feel that I'd rather it be a little green, than sanded out of round.

What do the rest of you guys think about that?

-- Pat