Baronet Bruyere and Savinelli?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Anyone know more about their relation? I thought Baronet was a line by Savinelli, but according to the pipe guys at the tobacconist I was at this weekend, I was wrong. Any information would be helpful!
Zach

In my experience, one of the very best places for lies, hallucinations, and misinformation about pipes and tobacco is a tobacconist's emporium. The actual owner might be knowledgeable, but the hired help and idlers present are usually pieces of work.

Example: how can one of the hired hands at my local B & M argue with me, with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY, that Mac Baren's Golden Extra has no burley in it? I had spent about a solid decade smoking nothing else and had the second-degree tongue to prove it. Ludicrous.

But Savinelli's line like Oscar and Alligator have the Savinelli Stamp in the briar. Baronet Bruyere does not. I've seen that page, Yak, I'm just wondering if it is a line or second type thing. Is it like Bjarne and Viking?
Zach

The old companies used to make almost too many "cut-out line brands" to count. So many of them that some of them are a mystery today as to who made them. It's been going on from time out of mind.

The "Drury Lane" apple I smoked last night, for example, is an old Comoy. The "Made in Denmark" in the rack beside me is a Stanwell with a (pretty small) flaw that, back when their standards were more rigorous, kicked it off the "Stanwell" range. The "Bewlay Special" is, I suspect, an old Barling production over-run. Cosmetic flaws notwithstanding, same pipes either way.

Lord knows who made the "P(uff) & B(rouse) Collection" -- probably Wally Frank.

You can pay for the names on the pipes, but you can't taste them 8) :lol!:

:face:

I do agree with that Yak. I was just curious. I have a Savinelli Hercules 510 Ex, and a Baronet Bruyere 510 Ex, and they both smoke phenomenally. I don't complain. My older Grabows smoke awesomely also!
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":bbcnwwnn said:
Anyone know more about their relation? I thought Baronet was a line by Savinelli, but according to the pipe guys at the tobacconist I was at this weekend, I was wrong. Any information would be helpful!
Zach
Do you mean you were talking to pipe smokers hanging around or talking to the staff. What pipe shop did you go to?

As far as many of the folks working at B&M's these days, with over 70% of a tobaconists sales depending on cigar sales, my experience these days is that the staff are far more knowledgable about cigars than pipes or tobaccos. As was pointed out, the OWNER might know more than they. As far as Savinelli stampings, they can be not to consistent from line to line ie I have two Punto Oro's each bought new about 10 years apart. The oldest had "A Savinelli Product" and "Made in Italy " as well as the trademark sheild on the shank. The second one just has"Made In Italy" and no sheild or "Savinelli Product" stamp. But BOTH are Savinelli's :p One thing Sav did though was use the same style # stamping on ALL the pipes they made if they were standard shapes whether they were sold as Sav products or "Store Brands" . Besides, what does it matter if you like the pipe :p